the "SKELEBIKE"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skelebike was an original concept that I drew on a notebook while not paying attention in Highschool. First off let me tell you that I am not a bike builder or will I ever claim to be. I am more of an unprofessional artist that just enjoys to play around in my free time. My favorite medium to work with is metal and have made many things and customized alot of stuff since about 1993 which is the year I learned to weld and picked up my first welder, a Miller Syncrowave 250. The skelebike was originally called "Death Grip" but over the years while building it, it became easier to call it Skelebike. I did not build a jig to make this bike but opted to just build it off the crooked floor of my garage. I often tell people that it was built on a "balance of crookedness" if that makes any sense. Also keep in mind that I shelved this project many times over the years, through 2 tough on my wife, pregnancys and the relocation of my career, and really have very little detail documented on the bike. The project was started in 2001 from a girls huffy that I garbage picked and I virtually have no money into the actual building except for a tank of argon for the welder and powder coating. So here it is .
bike01.jpg
bike02.jpg
The first thing I decided to do was lay out the profile of the skeleton on the floor. The top bar proved to be a great shape for the spine and only had to be lengthened a couple inches to be anatomically correct. Also the seat post tube was removed and two sections were added as femur (upper leg) bones. I also raked the front tube to give the arms a more natural bend and added to the length of the arms and made an elbow joint using ball joints which were obtained from my brother who worked in a heat treating plant and let me go through thier scrap metal hoppers after hours :wink: .
bike03.jpg
The next step was to begin laying in the rib bones. Rib bones were made from steel tubing I had laying around. Also started working on making the hands gripping the front tire. The hand bones were made from used engine push rods and ball bearings all stuff ive had laying around my garage.
bike5.jpg
bike4.jpg
With everything coming together it was time to stand it up. I always kept the bike in two pieces, separated at the spine and pelvic bone, so it would fit in my sandblaster.
bike06.jpg
And that brings me to the pelvic bone. Its made from you guessed it more ball joints and some 1/8th in. plate steel. this is also where I began thinking about the skull. Skulls are one of my favorite things to make from steel and I have a collection of skulls Ive already made. Here is a pic of the one I chose being held up and photographed for fitting.
bike08.jpg
The skull had to be modified because i didnt like the jaw and teeth so they were cut out and replaced. The feet were also made from push rods but not bearings. While the skull was being modified my friend Pauly came up with a stingray slik for the rear. This thing was like brand new and still had the little knobby things on it so I had no choice but to use it, just for its coolness factor. But unfortunately it was to wide. So both legs had to be remade completely. This was no easy task to keep it straight, but I got it done without a jig.
bike11.jpg
bike10.jpg
bike09.jpg
At this point it was finally far enough along to give it one last sandblast and weld it together before adding the now finished skull. Here are the pics I took of it after joining the two halves together and skull added.
full2.jpg
full1.jpg
full4.jpg
full3.jpg
Next thing to do was come up with a base for the bike to sit on since I didnt want to put a kickstand on. I also began to try to come up with something for handlbars. The first few trys looked like alien antenae so those were scraped. then I came up with a set that I actually liked. So here is the fire shaped base I came up with for it to sit on.
DSC01542.jpg
And with the new handlebars.
DSC01518forum.jpg
DSC01544.jpg
Over the years somehow the crankset was lost so I had to come up with one in a hurry. This was the last piece I needed to make before the fast approaching Detroit autorama (which I was talked into entering) was here. I found the bearings, cups and the sprocket. Here is the design I came up with for the sprocket.
DSC01543.jpg
Next was choosing poeder coat colors. Originally I was going to go with Granny smith green but the decided to go with the real color of bone white with green sparkle. I couldnt find a completely finished pic So here is the finished bike without painted handlbars and base. More to come shortly.
DSC01581lowres.jpg
DSC01582.jpg
DSC01577.jpg
Here are the autorama pictures. I did not like the way the stand paint came out so its now been paint profesionally black metalic.
DSC01595.jpg
DSC01600.jpg

Re: The Building of the "SKELEBIKE"

Ah, thanks galtbacken, for bringing this post to my attention!

I don't often like 'fantasy-bikes', but this one is sooooo right! Well proportioned, good lines, fine rake, and a very convincing skeleton. ...And all in steel...

This is the bike I show people when explaning that custombikes are really cool.
Hats off to you TommyTwoTime. Well done!

I think your documentation was sufficiently detailed, all salient points were covered. As stated by Herr Rudolph, Nicely proportioned, excellent job.

Awesome!! :shock: When I first saw the before shots of the sad lil pink girly bike, I thought "whoa, that's gonna be an uphill battle to make that thing cool!" MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! ~Adam

What size is the rear wheel ? "hoping its a 26"

never mind i looked closer at your picks and i see its a 20", was hoping 26" slick tire i need one. like a drag slick look.

Geez thats RAD - Scarily RAD

I love how you stop calling them bike part names and start calling them anatomical names. Femur bones, elbow joints, pelvic bone....LOL....absolutely awesome stuff.

Thanks for all the kind words, Im glad you all like it. Technically a very light person could ride the bike, meaning it is a working bike but with just one bar coming across the top (spine) its is not very strong. In fact during the building of it, the spine snapped in two, right at the pelvic bone. It was very hard to get it lined up again and tack it together. Its been reinforced since then but I dont think I am letting anybody ride it.

that is the best full custom bike i have every seen dead on done. it is really hard to do a theme bike and still make it cool and you did all above with that bike. the fab is incredible and it is truly a work of art my hats off to you

And again:I love this bike so much...

Don't you get the urge at times to build a 'commercial version' of the skelebike? I mean, one that's ridable. Could be done with a compromising seat stay painted satin black. The same with, how you call it... the lower frametube towards the sprocket. Maybe using a wide steel tractorseat for the pelvic(?) bones. Would be cool to have a turning skull ...with ledlidhts in the eyes...

I'm sorry... This bike is soooo right. A piece of art. You musn't change a thing! ...but I keep coming back to look at it. And while I'm doing that it makes my fantasy run wild.

:)

How about making a skelebike using a Swingbike as basematerial...

:cool:

herr_rudolf said:
And again:I love this bike so much...

How about making a skelebike using a Swingbike as basematerial...

:cool:
:shock: 8) 8) 8) 8) :wink: :!:

Yes I am getting the urge. :shock: Im really thinking about making one that would be more durable but not commercial. Problem is everytime I get a bike, its to nice to be a donor bike. Im starting to drive through neighborhoods on garbage nites looking for a good donor 26" bike but cant find one yet. :x

I just stumbled onto this post and I have to say that this was my favorite bike at the Autorama. My compliments to you, your artistry and your craftmanship. I can't remember if we met there, I am one of the Freakbike Militia and our bikes were on the outside row. I took alot of pictures of your bike and will post them someday when I get my film developed. Thanks for sharing the build...Kelly

Hey Kelly, Thanks for the nice comments, I'm not sure if we met or not. I couldnt sit still that weekend and ended up spending alot of time down stairs with the ratrod bunch. I'm sure I prob saw you though. Which bike did you have? Im thinking of getting a spot downstairs to put some ratrod bikes for next year and prob the Skelebike too. I like the music down there and these bikes are not really Petri bike show quality anyway. Hopefully I'll have something to put in Bicycle Dons show as well.

Latest posts

Back