The Streamliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hub motor puts me in mind of this.

970b513c1d2c4765a43dc2c97a014621

Good progress having a runner already...pic hurts my neck...:p

Tell me more about a magnetic bender, never heard of one before!
By the way, loving the build so far!
Thanks, it's only just begun...

A magnetic folder has a bed made from a very strong electro magnet. The sheet metal is put on this then the top piece, made from steel, goes on. Press the button a d the top piece clamps the sheet to the bed. Now you can fold. There are two advantages over a traditional box pan folder. You can use anything steel for the top piece, so big radius curves are easy. Also, it's much quicker to set up folding boxes.
Hard to explain. Is there a way of posting a short video on here?

Having taken this for a test ride last night, I can't help but feel I need a front brake!
Now that I've fitted a smaller tyre, I've realised that the rim is too small (diameter) for me to use even a long reach brake calliper.
So instead I'm going to weld a bridge across the forks to mount an old centre pull calliper. I can't remember where I got it from, but I do know it's going in the dishwasher, sorry PARTS WASHER, tonight when the Mrs isn't watching!
DSC_0275.JPG

Hard to explain. Is there a way of posting a short video on here?
Sounds cool! You can just upload to Youtube and drop the link here, it will show right in the post and can be watched in the post too.

So instead I'm going to weld a bridge across the forks to mount an old centre pull calliper.
Wow! That's a classic racing brake from the 60's! Used mostly on top-of-the-line racing bicycles in PL - The ZZR Jaguar Special.
5_1263230406.jpg

I can't remember where I got it from, but I do know it's going in the dishwasher, sorry PARTS WASHER, tonight when the Mrs isn't watching!
One of the best machines to wash parts... when your wife/girlfriend isn't watching:rofl:

I had to switch to a different calliper in the end. The centre pull one just wouldn't work with my bodywork design. So I dug out a old weinmann side pull. I Swapped the cable entry so it comes in from the bottom.
All this will become clear once I start on the body.
This build is on the verge of new territory......
DSC_0286.JPG

The Weinmann brake is also cool and to me personally easier to set up than a center pull brake.
I thought these brakes were very bad until I replaced the pads on a set. I read some guys put modern, longer pads on them, but the short ones are adequate I think.
I spent my younger years messing about with old English racing bikes so I'm used to both side and centre pull brakes.
I have, in fact, fitted longer modern brakes blocks on this. I've done this for a while on my bikes, mainly because the quality of the traditional style blocks are very poor, mostly Chinese copies.

Then it's off to the English wheel.
This squashes the metal to force it into a curve. Concentrating on the centre at first, the goal is to get a smooth dome shape.
DSC_0290.JPG

Using reflections of straight lines is a good way of checking for any wobbles in the panel
DSC_0293.JPG

Happy with that.
I've left the edges because I'll be shrinking that area so it will curl over. That's for tomorrow though, time to do some work!

Latest posts

Back