The Tallpacker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, I'm in. Mostly because I'm already building this anyway, so why not?

I'm big on two things: bikepacking, and freakbikes. After a long day of riding, my riding buddies and I were sitting around the campfire and got into talking about how great a Tallbike would be for bikepacking. You'd be able to haul way more gear, and well....It's a Tallbike, so why not?

Needless to say the seed was planted. I've been ruminating the idea for months. It's time to make it happen.

Where to begin? Chop up what I have laying around? Start from scratch?

What do I want from this bike?

My normal bikepacking rig is a 29er, but I didn't want to go that route with a Tallbike, as that just puts me that much higher off the ground, and when you are riding trails, minimum maintenance roads, and rural South Dakota roads, you don't want to fall that far.

Alright Von, enough BS. Post some pictures already.

I managed to find a 27.5+ bike for less than $140. Screw it, I'm buying a brand new bike and immediately chopping it up.

IMG_20170118_082016_zpsmyx1hl3j.jpg

This bike, while being a total turd out of the box has some good qualities for a foundation.

-27.5+ wheelset
-Disc brakes
-Rigid fork
-Steel construction (meaning I can weld it no problem)
-Large frame triangle

I wasted no time after some dude in a brown uniform dropped it off.

IMG_20170124_083120789_zpsqgzamtjq.jpg

After a hole saw anointment, the wheels are now holier than they were before:

IMG_20170124_093605598_zpslmkodrgi.jpg

IMG_20170124_123938687_zpsxz5rnvm4.jpg

Stay tuned folks, I'm hoping that this thing will look like a taller, freakier version of this when all is said and done

image2_zpsis3w0bfb.jpg

-Von

Looks cool Von! You got some great parts for your money. Welcome to the build off and...
RaT oN!

Great idea sounds interesting should be fun to ride & maybe not so fun to crash but I bet you will be the talk of the trail ride . Staying tuned . [emoji481]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are there a lot of low hanging branches on the trails you bikepack on? Im guessing no... :) i do look forward to seeing this build come together!

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

Back at it this week.

Made this little gusset to hide some ugliness left over from the seat tube I used

IMG_20170214_173535558_zpszxw33tn2.jpg

IMG_20170214_173600964_zpsekjzeb9y.jpg

And buzzed it all together:
IMG_20170301_101630866_zpsez8kiazk.jpg

Still a long way to go, but progress is progress

Hey Von, I've been looking at these new bikes on the 'bay. What is the axle width of the front and rear 27.5 wheels? For a buck and a half, getting a set of wheels and tires and disc brake set up might be worth it for a future build....

Latest posts

Back