The TENDERIZER - finished ? :(

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Maybe I should really call this one "Perfect Timing". Just when I was thinking of looking for a little project bike to make for my girlfriend now that summer is upon us my friend gave this thing to me the other day. And right after that my brother told me about this year's build off.
Too bad this bike isn't a nice piece of vintage steel, but hey it was FREE! Perfect project starter.

DSC00368.jpg

Re: The Horny Horner

Once I had a few ideas in my head I did a little photo-editing to see what I could come up with to help me start this build:
theidea.jpg

With the basic idea down, I busted out the tools and started hackin' away.
My first attempt at making handlebars came out better than I expected. Here I used some scrap 1" 16ga. tubing and bent it using a tubing bender that I bought several years ago for making parts for an offroad car I used to have. You can also see the Brooks saddle that I picked up on ebay.
mockup1.jpg
mockup4.jpg

NIIIIIIICE -- post those pedal photos and the stem photo, and get the thing painted!

Ok...so I've got my new homemade curvy handlestick, an old chromoly mtb stem and a piece from the stem that the bike came with.
You can see all of the bits and pieces here, and how I cut the mtb stem,
allstempieces.jpg

Then, using the threaded part of the original stem, I cut it so all I had was the threaded piece and then ground that down to a nub
nubcut.jpg

The nub was inserted into the end of the handlebar and jiggled down to the center where I drilled a hole in the bar
nubinserting.jpg

nutinbars.jpg

Then I drilled out the threads of the mtb stem piece so I could insert the bolt backwards. Here all of the parts are together
stembuildpiecetogether.jpg

deorman said:
Guess that bolt will need to be pretty exact lengthwise, very cool setup. 8)

Thanks Deorman. I did have to trim the bolt down a couple of times to make sure I had the exact correct length, 'cuz once welded I think it will be pretty near impossible to thread the bolt back into the 'nub' if I had to unscrew it all the way.

SICK!!!! No stem (no bean, I hope)! NO WAY! That is TOTALLY RADICAL! I have been fast forwarding thru my mind a few builds into the future and a board tracker played a strong transitional role and your chop up front turned everything on its head, Now, I see anything is posable... but will the human form fit? Wide bars may swing clear of the knees... or what?

quicksilver said:
SICK!!!! No stem (no bean, I hope)! NO WAY! That is TOTALLY RADICAL! I have been fast forwarding thru my mind a few builds into the future and a board tracker played a strong transitional role and your chop up front turned everything on its head, Now, I see anything is posable... but will the human form fit? Wide bars may swing clear of the knees... or what?

Thanks for the encouragement, Quiksilver!
Yes, the bars can hit my knees, but they're really not bad, it just takes a slight adjustment to stay clear.

I was going to wait until tomorrow to put these pedals up, but I just couldn't wait any longer.
File this under the "I'm sorry, did I stab you with my pedals?" section.

Started with some basic BMX pedals that have been sittin' unused for the last few years
pedalswellgostock.jpg

Removed the cages and cut the cage supports at a different angle. The bottom pedal is stock, the top is with all 4 posts chopped
pedalsnocage2different.jpg

Picked up some 1" x 1/16" aluminum from the local hardware store. With the help of some super high-dollar professional metal benders, the new cages took shape
pedalbendingtool1.jpg
pedalbendingtool2.jpg

pedalbendmockup.jpg

Tapped some new threads in the cut-down posts
pedaltapthreads.jpg

and the assembly went rather quick...
WHAT THE ....
pedalcompletesuperspike.jpg

Do you think I need a permit for these? :D

Re: The Horny Horner - 5/19 - TENDERIZERS installed

I'd leave the single sticking out to the side then keep the denser configuration front to back, thereby maximizing the shinburger direction.

Latest posts

Back