The TENDERIZER - finished ? :(

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Horny Horner - 5/23 - head badge

sensor said:
now thats thew perfect badge :mrgreen:
if you have anymore(or could get some) would you be interested in swapping one for a beer tap?

Unfortunately that's the only one I have. I knew I should've bought one for the house :? You can find them easily on ebay for around $6. I searched forever to find one that was old and rusted and beat up but couldn't find one, so I bought it new. It was shiny, painted, and galvanized...three things that I didn't want! So I dipped it in some muriatic acid and it looks much better. It even has this strange greenish tint to it after the acid, which I really like. I was originally going to spray down with salt water and let it sit outside to get all rusty but the weird color it has now is perfect:)

Re: The Horny Horner - 5/23 - head badge

bikebuilder said:
Nice clean bike!

If it had multiple gears a beer tap shifter would be cool.

That is a GREAT idea! grrrrrrrrrrr! I'd been looking for a 3-speed wheelset since the very start of this thing but I got too busy to keep up with the ebay listings. And I was trying to think how to make a cool shifter. Well, when I eventually do get a 3-speed you can bet I'll have Guinness on tap! :D

Re: The TENDERIZER - name change - (Horny Horner)

Well I've decided to change the name...since there won't be any horns on this build as originally thought. Plus the name just has a great 'ring' to match the look of the pedals ;)

First ride, first blood - I finally took it out for the first ride and my pedals promptly attacked my calf while sitting at an intersection. It was just a small cut, so no good pictures to post. Maybe next time I'll try harder for full penetration and get some gory pictures :lol:

Re: The TENDERIZER - masking tape wreaths and spokesicles

I've been contemplating what to do with the wheels for quite a while. Decided to put them off until now. But they are finally hanging and painted.

maskingtapewreaths.jpg

spokesicles.jpg

this is the first I have looked at this build and I must say, I am impressed. The field of competition is getting really deep and coming up with great ideas. Its anyones game for the win and voting will be hard. Im just happy being a part of the build. Keep up the good work and you will be high on the list.

bring.doom said:
this is the first I have looked at this build and I must say, I am impressed. The field of competition is getting really deep and coming up with great ideas. Its anyones game for the win and voting will be hard. Im just happy being a part of the build. Keep up the good work and you will be high on the list.

wow bring.doom, that's quite a compliment. Much thanks! I'm also happy just to be a part of this. Watching all of these old (and not so old) bikes turn into incredible creations is really fascinating, and a ton of fun!

Re: The TENDERIZER - more paint...

yes, mount em and judge again.
I don't see any problems in the looks-departement. They turned out great. I also thought of painting the inside of the rim only and leaving the sides unpainted because of the rim-brakes(?). I noticed yours are not painted edge to edge fully. Makes it unique. If it works for your bike... Mount and see fo yourself. (and show us : - )

i dig what u did with the hubs nice color combo

Nice job masking the rims and hub. The black and silver really contrast.

Re: The TENDERIZER - wheels, cranks, pedals complete

Thanks to socal_jack for the input on the spike selection on the pedals. Although I really liked the 'less is more' approach with only 5 spikes, I really wanted a truly nasty look with ALL of the spikes. socal_jacks suggestion gave me the best of both worlds.
Thanks for the comments on the hubs and wheels. I knew I really liked the aluminum/black contrast when I first saw the cranks assembled on the bike
contrastview.jpg

So I was hoping for the same clean look and nice contrast by painting the wheels. The rear hub has these machined grooves on it that were perfect for masking off and painting every other one. I was able to do something similar with the front hub as well. The cranks are made by CQP (Cook's Quality Products) and I bought them when I was a kid from my neighbor, Mr. Cook;) They'd been sitting in my garage forever, I'm glad I didn't junk 'em. I stole the chainwheel from my commuter bike. Originally I thought I would have to buy a new BMX sprocket for this, but once I had that thing mounted I knew I couldn't find a better looking spider/ring/paint combo.
crankswheelsrear2.jpg

crankswheelsfront.jpg

crankswheelsrear.jpg

I like the spike placement. You just upped the ante, those Cook cranks are cool. The older stuff is worth $$$

Cool! :) That bar/stem thing you did is just awesome, and the pedals look...medieval! :D

Galtbacken said:
Cool! :) That bar/stem thing you did is just awesome, and the pedals look...medieval! :D

hahahaha medieval is a great description! Thank you Galtbacken...I feel like I should ride it wielding a shield and a big spiked club :mrgreen:

I do have a couple more tricks up my sleeve. I think I may be able to post some more tonight after work, if I ever get out of here grrrrr :x Hopefully I can get the last thing done in time to take the finished bike out on the town for some cool pictures...

Re: The TENDERIZER - the ugly, the bad, and the good

okay, so I feel like a total lame-o ...I just remembered that the due date for this build-off isn't until August 2nd. For some reason I kept thinking June 2nd, and I was busting my butt trying to get this thing finished last week while I was on vacation. Now I'm totally relieved, I can relax and enjoy my upcoming weekend 8)

For my grips, I stole this idea from my brother - check his bike out here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16090 - but added my own little twist to it. It turned out pretty crappy so I scrapped it and completely remade them (I'll post the nice ones next)

Starting with some old chain and wrapping it into the shape of a grip - wrap a little bit and weld on the inside, wrap a little bit, weld, etc. etc.
crappygripwelding.jpg

When I had a full grip wrapped up and welded, I then welded it to the end of the handlebar
crappygripfinished.jpg

It just didn't turn out very clean looking. Not very symmetrical, etc.
crappygripmounted.jpg

The whole reason I really wanted them like this was for a cool 'see-thru' aspect...hard to make it visible on camera:
crappygripseethrough.jpg

Unhappy with the outcome, I rode the one-grip-wonder down to my local bike shop and picked up some nice shiny chain.
I told the guys at the shop about this AWESOME website and the cool build-off that's going on so hopefully we have some new members :)

Latest posts

Back