The Traditional Build (THE FIREBALL EIGHT)" Moved to Finished BIkes Thread"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work! Good to see someone who is willing to spoke and true rims to see their vision through! Took me many years to build up courage to attempt it and now I love it!

Luke.

Thanks, I agree it is a fun part of the build, and rewarding when you are done. The First set I did I went on youtube and found a tutorial and used it to learn. I was doing this for the bike I built for my wife. She walks in the garage to see my progress and says "let Me try"! She proceeds to lace up both rims by her self. I was impressed. So I guess I watched my first set being done.

great build dude :113:

Thanks for the complements on my build (Scribble, Hotrodjen, pick, Skiptooth13)

So I pulled out the parts from the vinegar tank and they came out clean. I needed to prevent the flash rust that they would get so I applied the POR15 Metal Prep which once dried leaves a zinc type coating and prevents the flash rust. The vinegar was a bit harsh on the master link of my skip tooth chain and it did not survive the process and fell apart. So if any one is willing to hook me up with a master link that would be great.

I also had a chance to complete my saddle restoration. I am mostly happy with the end result.
First I took the seat pan and placed the bolts in it and then covered it with carpet underlay fastening it with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive.

Then I got to thinking about water soaking through the leather and saturating the foam under the leather which in the long run would cause it to rust out. I decided that I would use a piece of thicker plastic from my dog food bag to help with this.

Then I wrapped it in the leather It ended up being more wrikely because the thicker plastic did not allow the leather to smooth out but it should be ok. the leather was held down with the spray adhesive as well.

Then the frame work was assembled:

And the end result:

You'd be surprised how water repellent leather is. How many waterlogged cows have you seen?

You'd be surprised how water repellent leather is. How many waterlogged cows have you seen?
cow_with_umbrella.gif

Seeing this pic gave me an idea for a future seat. Someone could use some of that diamond plate floor padding as seat foam and cover it tightly and the seat would have a diamond plate look.

I think down the road I will be redoing this seat cover. It is the first one that I have done. So I will count this one for practice. The Seat pan actually took on a lot of water through the leather once the pan had been blasted there were a bunch of pin holes.

Seeing this pic gave me an idea for a future seat. Someone could use some of that diamond plate floor padding as seat foam and cover it tightly and the seat would have a diamond plate look.

That could work I miss read it at first and thought you were talking about the metal diamond plate. It would give a neat effect. I believe if you add some water it would help tighten it up a bit more?

I sent my graphics that I drew up for this bike to the local sign shop to get the stencils for painting on the emblems made up! He is going to try to have them ready by friday so My painting of the frame can probably begin soon! I would like to have the bike mostly painted by the end of next week. at least that is the goal.

So here are my completed wheels and tires and I am very happy with how they turned out! I was even able to keep the original spokes and brass Spoke nipples. I straightened the spokes threw them in some vinegar and then polished them up.

These are the valve caps and I think they suit the Fireball 8 theme quite well:

and the pair of wheels and tires:

Today I went to my dads place and he taught me how to make patches out of steel and weld them in place! We were able to get all the patches welded in place and all the holes welded shut on the rear fender now I just have to grind it and finish it with filler.

Here the one of the cut out arias of the fender is being welded in with a new patch:

Completed patches and filled holes waiting for the grinder:

We also welded in some washers on the frame to use as mounting brackets for the tank:

great bike man

Back