the under top tube occ chopper seat post clamp?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone done that on a bike themselves?

you know, how the seat tube has a slit under the top tube and that's where the clamp is. i'm considering doing that.

i've made a new seat for my main rider, but it ended up sitting just a bit too high. the only solution i'm seeing so far, is to cut the seat post down 1-1 1/2" (yes, it will make that much difference). i can weld it in afterward, but i like the bike to still have some adjustability, so i'm thinking of doing it like the occ choppers.

so anyone tried it to know if there might be a down side? thanks.

see? y'all need to answer faster, or else you leave suzzzy as my only consultant. she's always gonna vote for cutting

hoodcruiserseat001.jpg

truthfully, i was asking, but i'd already figured it was my only option. turned out to be easy. took less time than the time bettween these two posts. i probaly need to splash a little spray paint over the two spots (the top of the tube and making the slit with an angle grinder), but a quick ride up and down the street seems to have it working ok. at this point i can't see how i weakened the frame (maybe if the post were pulled out too far and ridden that way, but it'll probaly always be fully inserted), and it kept me from making the seat permanent so if it doesn't work for me in the long run, i can still replace it.

so if your frame isn't sacred or something, and you want to slam the seat an inch or so more, i think this'll work.

Latest posts

Back