Today's finds: Phantom repop & Electra Jeremy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, been pondering the thought of picking up a Phantom repop, if I ever found one local at a decent price. Well, I managed to snag one today from a CL ad. The pedals and tires are non original, the seat is pretty worn with 1 broken spring, and the rear wheel is missing 1 spoke. Besides some scratches on the rear rack, and a couple of pinstripes needing touchup, all the paint and chrome is in fantastic shape, considering it was someone's rider. This one set me back 600 bux, but considering at least the parts value, it seemed a fair deal. If I end up keeping it (wife not real happy about this one), I'll probably throw a Nexus 7 hub, on it :D

1001515297_WK2oQ-L.jpg

I also picked up an Electra Jeremy for 180. It's a bit rough, but will clean up nicely. My immediate plans are to clean it up, and convert to a 3 or 7 speed Nexus. I might look into making a trike, out of it.

1001514845_EzqEJ-L.jpg

And I guess since I'm here, I'll show off my wife's latest cruiser, which I scored for a measly 100 bux, a couple weeks back. A 2008 Electra Super Deluxe 3 speed. These things list for a lot! It was caked with filth and rust, and after many hours of clean up, it looks fantastic, and she loves how it rides.

1001738168_Y3gJc-L.jpg

That's probably it, for awhile, as Mrs. Rooski told me "No more bikes, for now!"

LCW said:
There is an original phantom in portlan oregon for 400$.

whats the value of that in its current state, myab eI should grab it and sorry to derial the thread
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/bik/1946692253.html

Well, I'm no expert, so someone else could answer better, but from what I've seen over at the Schwinnbike forums, I think a typical collector wouldn't pay much over 200, or so, for one in this rough of condition. I've heard that re-chroming parts is costly, so a total restoration can be extremely expensive and time consuming. You can sometimes spend more money in parts and labor, then what the bike may be worth, after restoration. That bike may have better value as a parts unit, as people doing restorations are always looking for "original" parts to restore individually, and use for projects where they may have parts that are missing, or damaged beyond repair.

If ALL the parts on that bike are original to it, it would be a better candidate for a total restoration project, as opposed to a "mix & match" bike, and MAY be more valuable. As usual, a bike is worth what someone will pay for it. Personally, I would never attempt to take on a project that big, as I just don't have the resources and time.

Rooski said:
LCW said:
There is an original phantom in portlan oregon for 400$.

whats the value of that in its current state, myab eI should grab it and sorry to derial the thread
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/bik/1946692253.html

Well, I'm no expert, so someone else could answer better, but from what I've seen over at the Schwinnbike forums, I think a typical collector wouldn't pay much over 200, or so, for one in this rough of condition. I've heard that re-chroming parts is costly, so a total restoration can be extremely expensive and time consuming. You can sometimes spend more money in parts and labor, then what the bike may be worth, after restoration. That bike may have better value as a parts unit, as people doing restorations are always looking for "original" parts to restore individually, and use for projects where they may have parts that are missing, or damaged beyond repair.

If ALL the parts on that bike are original to it, it would be a better candidate for a total restoration project, as opposed to a "mix & match" bike, and MAY be more valuable. As usual, a bike is worth what someone will pay for it. Personally, I would never attempt to take on a project that big, as I just don't have the resources and time.

Or if you can score it cheap enough there is always the rat option. 8)

Latest posts

Back