Top Fool

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YEAHH! Way to push on towards the end, Psycho!

That frame is sparkly! Your 3/32 would be correct for compatibility with that gear cluster in the back. I can't remember off hand what your front chain ring looks like, or where it came from?

RaT oN~!

YEAHH! Way to push on towards the end, Psycho!

That frame is sparkly! Your 3/32 would be correct for compatibility with that gear cluster in the back. I can't remember off hand what your front chain ring looks like, or where it came from?

RaT oN~!
I'm pedaling as fast as I can! I just cleared it and the color looks great!

Fork.JPG

Thanks for the reassurance on my back chain. The front is a single speed, but needs 2 chains for the length. They should be here tomorrow. The back should be here Monday.

Is it my imagination, or is the ticking of the clock getting louder?

Last edited:
I've got the graphite metallic base and the silver mini flake on, the colors will go on later this afternoon. Each piece got the same amount of coats, but for some reason the rear suspension doesn't seem to be as dense. I might mix up a little more flake and add another coat or two to it.

Some close up pics.

P1260955.jpg
P1260956.jpg
P1260959.jpg
P1260960.jpg

Update, I checked the rear suspension with a magnifying glass and it does have the same coverage. It must be an optical illusion, maybe because it's such a small diameter tube?

Last edited:
Cleared it yesterday and screwed up.:doh: I have to sand and buff part of the frame today, then outline the graphics.

I sure hope I don't sand through to the color anywhere. If I do I'm sunk, wish me luck!

I hope this works,

Last edited:
Sanded and buffed the bad spots on the frame today. When I got home I started striping the graphics. The main frame was a breeze, the fork and rear suspension were a royal pain! They are so simple, but hard to see and the rear was hard to reach. I can only do one side of the frame, then let it dry completely before doing the other side, I've got a heater blowing on the parts and hope they dry in time to do them early in the morning.

Then I get to test my patience running the 2 cables through the frame. After that, the rest of the assembly should be a breeze.

Sanded and buffed the bad spots on the frame today. When I got home I started striping the graphics. The main frame was a breeze, the fork and rear suspension were a royal pain! They are so simple, but hard to see and the rear was hard to reach. I can only do one side of the frame, then let it dry completely before doing the other side, I've got a heater blowing on the parts and hope they dry in time to do them early in the morning.

Then I get to test my patience running the 2 cables through the frame. After that, the rest of the assembly should be a breeze.

Only few days left...
nail_biting_stress-1-869x500.jpg

I got home from work and immediately went to work on the fool. It's been 4 hours of absolute frustration! First I tackled running the shift and rear brake cables through the frame, that took more than an hour. Next was putting the bottom brackets on. I misplaced the only crescent wrench I have that is large enough a while back, I borrowed one from work and promptly lost that one :mad:, but did find the one I originally lost. The front BB has some messed up threads that I was able to clean up a bit, but getting it started is a pain. It took about 15 tries to get it started.

Next was assembling the front forks. I never had a problem with them before, but now one bolt fought me like crazy. At this point I'm ready to throw this bike in the trash (I have basically zero patience for mechanical work), but finally get the bolt in, and the fork together.

Through all this, I'm dropping tools, nuts and bolts like crazy, swearing every other word. Yes I was talking to myself, and didn't have much nice to say to myself and my ability to assemble this thing.

Next was getting the rear suspension and spring on and things were very tight due to paint. Now it's starting to look like a bike again and my mood was just a touch better.

The handlebars and top tube brace and wheels/tires went on with little effort, then it was time to deal with the chains. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why the back one was way too long, then I remembered I never shortened it. It was the front one I matched to the old one. I found the original back chain, matched the new one up and then moved on to the front one (which I already matched to the original). I don't know what I did, but it doesn't fit right. So now I have to find the green one and double check it.

The good news, Top Fool is going to make the deadline! It's about 95% done and the bike looks even better than I imagined. To make the deadline I have to hook up the cables, mount the shifter, the chainguard, front brake, and the seat. I doubt the wheelie bars will make it for the deadline, I finally found a source for the tubing I want, but I doubt I'll have time to get it and build the bars.

I'm saving any pics until the final reveal.

Some good news, I might not have to re-dish the rear wheel. It looks like it just clears the tire in 1st gear, that is if there is not too much movement in the chain while pedaling.

I don't know what I did, I took the front chain off, measured it against the original and it's the same length, put it back on the bike and it fits.:crazy2: Front brake is on, shifter is on, and the chainguard is on.

I ordered the tubing for the wheelie bars, I can pick it up Friday. That leaves me one day to build and paint them. Tick-tock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today is starting out well, I found the missing wrench. My niece was over and moved it from on top of the clothes drier.

I hope the rest of the day goes well also. I have to pick up a few minor things for the Fool. Hopefully I can the proper inner brake cables, and some chrome dust caps for the cranks.

I'm so glad this bike is about done, I really need to clean up my work space. I was afraid if I cleaned up, I would lose some parts. It will be nice to have some room to move around again!

Believe it or not, I'm still building! I started building the wheelie bars about 6pm and 3 hours later have them about 7/8 of the way done. The drive side took a while as it needed 4 notches cut in the lower tube to go around the derailleur. I need some bolts and threaded rod to finish them. I'll be at the hardware store bright and early to get what I need. They should be in paint in the morning and ready for pics late in the afternoon.

The drive side parts,

P1310966.jpg

The non drive side almost completed, and a sneak peek of the paint,

P1310965.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back