Tour de Farce

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Tomorrow, 11 AM is the 49th anniversary of the Tour de Farce. Forty nine years ago three of us decided to go on a spur of the moment tour, we needed a name, I came up with Tour de Farce. The other two had Louie Bubon (sp) bikes with lace up tires and had ridden around Lake Superior 2 years before in high school. I had a Western Flyer Murray built ten speed with a one piece crank that weighed more than both their bikes put together. Pete came up with the course and off we went. I never saw Joe or Pete until the next morning when I finished. We went through 3 counties. This year I invieded everyone I know who rides with me to ride three counties tomorrow. Only 4 have committed. Rain tomorrow but I going no matter what, 35 miles of dirt, even if I have to go alone. It's way back in the bush. If I die on the trail they will never find me. What is with this younger generations? No appreciation for bike riding nostalgia. Next year is the 50th and the last one I am organizing and the end of an era. Too old to put up with more of this indifference from the non volunteering younger generation. That is saying something from someone who's nick name is mister indifference.

Last edited:
Well, we did it but the consensus is that it was way too soft, hard to ride and generally difficult. None of these guys and gals will be back next year. I didn't find it difficult, just long. I have 3 inch tires and that may be why I didn't notice the soft trail too much. There was only 1200 feet of climb in 32 miles so it was pretty flat. There is a lot of sand, mud and lose non compacted trail that is very bumpy because the trail is hand built and the bumps, roots and rocks are not removed. I was so excited to showcase my private trail so it was kind of a letdown to hear the criticism. I'll continue to ride it because it starts at our door. I also won't take people on it that I promised a ride on it. I'll take them somewhere else. Somewhere easier. I thought it was a good beginner trail but I guess not. It goes through gorgeous country, so I think I overlooked the difficulty.

Last edited:
I guess everyone has their own idea of what is difficult depending on their abilities...
Just enjoy riding it yourself I guess!

I hope you have better riders with you for the last one next year!

Latest posts

Back