Tracksman IFG** Pics/Detailed parts list on page 3. =P

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iS iT GONNA bE AWeSOMe?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah, I' stoked to get the frame back, but something tells me I'll get it back only days before the deadline. I gotta get going on the wheels ASAFP, though. And I gotta order a few sundry weird parts; don't want to get caught up in shipping delays and whatnot.....

As for the pedals, I kinda hate plastic pedals, and these pedals are prolly as old as my WIFE (Who is kinda young for a wife, but she'd be very old, if she were a plastic pedal) so I worry about their integrity. Even if they're unused, they've just been sitting on a shelf, getting brittle....

But, the disc-shape is pretty rad, and they're white....

They do kinda look like flying saucers hockey pucks.

They do kinda look like flying saucers hockey pucks.
Yeah, and the weird thing is, I have an odd relationship w/ hockey. I'm definitely not a fan, bug I do coach Special Olympics floor hockey (which is extremely awesome, but the "puck" is felt and it's big w/ a hole in the center), and I make/sell soap; my bars are shaped like hockey pucks... 3" in diameter, about 1.25" thick. If you're interested, check out some youtube videos featuring SO Floor Hockey; it's quite rad.

The flying saucer connection is harder to figure out; i'm pretty sure the ETs erased my memory once they were done with me. :eek::crazy::confused:

The flying saucer connection is harder to figure out; i'm pretty sure the ETs erased my memory once they were done with me. :eek::crazy::confused:

Just hope they didn't leave behind a proble like Cartman's
South_park_cartman_gets_an_anal_probe_episode.jpg

I like the pedals, but not for this bike (just my opinion, feel free to ignore if it makes you happy!)
Great build so far, Rg
Yeah, I know what you mean, and tend to agree. Cool thing about pedals is, they're really easy on/easy off, so it's not labor-intensive if you change your mind.....

Thanks for the encouragement!

B808,
I commend you for using USA sourced parts. It is sad that the last USA mfg bicycle ceased to be in the mid-eighties.

I am a sucker for Worksman frames; used them for many motorized builds.

Looking forward to seeing the finish creation.

Last edited:
I got a bunch of Worksman frames/bikes, in various states of completion. They're really the best frame still made today, as far as customizable cruisers go.

**Updates** I basically have stuck a fork in this piglet; the build is pretty much done, aside from some dialing-in/fine tuning, and a "finished thread" photo shoot. (I may enlist some help with that....) YeahYeah, I took plenty of pictures, and I'll be uploading them soon, but I just got back from the shake-down ride, and I'm too psyched not to post on this, but I'm too sweaty to want to upload and edit photos.... at least not til after a shower. :crazy:

So, since last I posted, I have gotten the frameset back from powder, built wheels, sorted the frankenheadset, wrapped the bars, gussied up the frame with red reflective tape/checkered duck tape, and basically put the whole thing together...

Departures from the plan:
-switched the 44t Porkchop Snowflake sprocket for a 46t Porkchop 5 bolt and a Porkchop spider---still black. This ups the gear inches to about 66.5", and makes the bike look more "race".
-Switched the white KMC for a red/black KMC--- the white didn't match the frame exact, and the red/black chain better brings out the accents on the bike, in my opinion.

Otherwise, I guess I did everything pretty much as-planned. From here, I just need to shellac the handlebar tape, dial in the disc brake perfectly (right now, it rolls without rubbing, and stops really well, but I know I can get a BB7 to rock even harder than it does at present), and I want to get the wheels back on the stand for re-tensioning and fine-tuning.

The bike rides great. It has a really athletic stance, and the feel on the bike reflects that--- or, it did once I got the handlebar angle perfected. I'm really glad I got the xxxtra-long stem; flipped bar cruisers tend to be pretty uncomfortable for 6' folks to ride, but the stem lets me stretch out and I almost feel like I'm on a normal bike. The fixed gear drivetrain has a way of making me forget that I'm pushing a heavy cruiser with balloon tires, and the disc gives me the confidence to push it harder and spin those gears.

I stopped up at the LBS for a cable guide ($1), and the wrench on-duty (Justin--real good guy; builds great wheels) told me that he's been playing polo, and asked me for the "recipe" for the disc-to-fixed rear hub and the heavy-duty 26" rims (he comes from a track bike background; 26" stuff is not his thing...)... Some Mom was in there getting the pedals replaced on her kid's SE Rip Style; she was clearly not a bike person, but she was digging my bike and described it as looking "like so much fun"....

From there, I stopped by my buddy Harry's; I needed a big old wrench to adjust my BB, plus I wanted his input. He let me use an adjustable that must've been at least 70 years old; it was heavy as my Mom and had a script "Indian" insignia on it. He was really impressed with how moto the fork looks, but he thinks fixed gear is utterly ridiculous.

Last thing, I stopped at the coffee shop (my pt 2nd job); the barista on duty had nothing but kind words to say about the bike, as did a couple customers. I was messing with the bar angle when this realllllllllly heavy dude suggested that I "trade it in for a 'mull-ped'..." Guess you can't please everyone. And, yeah, he pronounced it mull-ped, but I'm pretty sure he meant moped.

Stay tuned; pics later.

Ah really heavy dude, did he look as though he had the munchies?

Probably thought everyone wants to use less energy.

Sounds like you found more likes than other opinions, if other peoples opinion matters to you.

Ah really heavy dude, did he look as though he had the munchies?

Probably thought everyone wants to use less energy.

Sounds like you found more likes than other opinions, if other peoples opinion matters to you.

Dude was one of these young-looking guys-- like, baby-faced-- with a full head of white-grey hair. And a grey moustache. He was well over 6 foot tall, and seems to be a habitual victim of "the munchies". Very heavy guy. I mean, I'm 250, maybe 245 these days, and he made me feel like a very tiny little person in comparison. I think you're right about a philosphy that less exertion = more awesome.

I am very interested in others' opinions, and I guess it matters on some level, but I'm still pretty much gonna be me and do my own thing regardless...

Pics tonight, after work....

I realize I've been a total turd; took a bunch of pics over the past few days, but haven't found time to upload'm. I'll post from work, but I don't put pics on the work computer.... so i guess i'm only 1/2 paranoid. I'll definitely get'm up this weekend. Maybe even actually finish it, all the way. All that's left is I wanna take out a linkset and I wanna lay some clear shellac on the bartape. Maybe 8 minutes of work, and 12 hours of drying time.... Ha. I also have to wash the thing; I've been riding it alot and the grime builds up quick on a white bike...

Got another "yes" vote.... thanks for the input, those of you who voted. The rest of you should be ashamed, but will have the opportunity to redeem yourselves by voting for the IFG when the time comes....:rockout:

So, here's the pics I'd promised:
Back from powder-
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv396%3B%3Dot%3E7%3B9%3C%3D824%3D34%3A%3DXROQDF%3E285%3A233367259ot1lsi

Another view:
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv9%3A44%3Dot%3E7%3B9%3C%3D824%3D34%3A%3DXROQDF%3E285%3A233368259ot1lsi

Really pleased with the finish, although some pitting came thru on the chainstays. Next time, I'll do all the prep myself.
Kinda got ahead of myself, and hung a buncha parts beore taking more pics:
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv847%3B%3Dot%3E7%3B9%3C%3D824%3D34%3A%3DXROQDF%3E285%3A233369259ot1lsi

Notice the awesome headbadge decal Mark Sr sent me:
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv684%3Enu%3D8%3A%3A%3B%3E733%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D376932427%3A34%3Anu0mrj

(Yeah, the picture sucks, but I'm not sweating it...)
Here's an idea of how the front-end is set-up--- disc wasn't fully installed at this point.
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3B95%3B%3Dot%3E7%3B9%3C%3D824%3D34%3A%3DXROQDF%3E285%3A233373259ot1lsi

Gets confusing, with the other red Worksman in the background, plus the red tape on the IFG fork/hub.... sorry. The pics in my "finished" thread will be better....
I built the first (front) wheel without taking any before pics; I tried to do better with the rear wheel... Here's a shot of the spokeless hub, sitting in the stand for no good reason:
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3A%3B77%3Dot%3E7%3B9%3C%3D824%3D34%3A%3DXROQDF%3E285%3A233374259ot1lsi

Despite the build being white/black/red, I decided the rims' stickers were too garish, and had to go:
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv8%3A33%3Dot%3E7%3B9%3C%3D824%3D34%3A%3DXROQDF%3E285%3A233375259ot1lsi

(I found I had accidentally cracked the lid on my high-tem grease, so I patched it with the checker tape.:blush:) I yanked the stickers off before lacing; makes it a l'il easier.
In my zeal to build the wheels, I failed to take any "during" shots. Once I get lacing, it's hard to stop.... I start to lace feverishly, and my wife/cats sorta just leave the area....:crazy: Once the wheels were built, I installed some Newbaum's cloth rim strips:
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3A%3A%3B5%3Dot%3E7%3B9%3C%3D824%3D34%3A%3DXROQDF%3E285%3A242724259ot1lsi

The black tap, in the front, is for the handlebars. The white stuff goes into the rims. It's basically the same sort of thing as Velox; the cloth is much tougher than rubber strips, and the adhesive prevents it from shifting around and causing pinch flats. At 21mm wide, this is the widest they make, and it fit the mtx-33 rims nicely:
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv4%3B95%3Dot%3E7%3B9%3C%3D824%3D34%3A%3DXROQDF%3E285%3A242726259ot1lsi

Just a quick plug for Newbaum's: I tried my best to use US-sourced products on this build, and even tried to keep it contemporary, with current-production stuff being used where I could. So, being made just across the bridge in Philly, PA, Newbaum's was a shoe-in for my build. However, even if it weren't local, I'd still want it, b/c it's the best. The rim strips aren't groundbreaking, but they're every bit as rugged as the Velox, cost a little less, and the glue is extra grippy. The handlebar tape, on the other hand, literally DESTROYS the competition; it's several inches longer (very important for when you're wrapping real dropbars; also helpful when you're using one roll for both sides, as I did with this project.) And, the many colors are very rich-looking.... but mostly, they nailed the feel of the tape; it's thick enough to be ultra-deluxe to the touch, but thin enough to wrap smoothly. Love it.
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/newbaums-cloth-rim-tape-21mm-box-10
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/newbaums-cloth-tape-black
Back to the build. Yeah, I 'd be a horrible journalist or photographer, b/c I kinda just kept building without snapping photos, but I got her all together and rode to work; stopped on the way a few times b/c the sun looked so nice:
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3B%3A65%3Dot%3E7%3B9%3C%3D824%3D34%3A%3DXROQDF%3E285%3A242727259ot1lsi
(gas station)
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3%3A7%3Enu%3D8%3A%3A%3B%3E733%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D376933363734%3Anu0mrj
(convenience store; stopped for 1/2n1/2 and a banana)
232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv33%3B4%3Dot%3E7%3B9%3C%3D824%3D34%3A%3DXROQDF%3E285%3A242729259ot1lsi

Upon arrival at work; I had to take the obligatory "white garage door" shot, and my garage at home is blue/off-white and very patinated (pretty sure the structure is about 150years old) but the one at the group home is more traditional/boring. I'll prolly work a shot of my personal garage into the "finished" thread.

So, all I've got to do is shellac the handlebar tape, and shorten the chain a smidge. I got chain tensioners on it, but the axle is too far back for them to even touch the ends, so they're just for "show" for now. I wanna shorten it up so I can count on them to keep the chain snug, PLUS I think it'd be cool to shorten the wheelbase a smidge.

Then, I'll be DONE.

I learned a lot in this build.... well, not really. But I learned some important stuff, like:
-blue Loctite goes bad if it's been sitting in the basement for a few years.
-even after spoiling, blue Loctite tastes sweet and delicious, and it's not entirely poisonous, I guess, b/c I'm still alive.
-I'm a lot more patient/mature than I was last time I laced wheels, BITD when I worked at a shop. I could lace'm easy, but never had the emotional stability to true them after. This time, yeah, it took me a while and I was sweating a lot and cussing a little, but I got them done and it seemed so much easier than last I'd tried.
-disc brakes are a total PITA. I can install them and tune them quite easily, but they're super-annoying. V-Brakes, side-pulls, center-pulls, cantis: all superior in my opinion. U-Brakes are as much of a hassle to set-up, but once they're set, they're dialed forever, aside from changing pads. Disc brakes are needy little whiners. So glad I don't have to deal with the hydro hassles: bleeding, trimming housing, etc.
-RRB's community of bike enthusiasts is an awesome group of supportive ppl, but I guess I already knew that, of course. The build off just kinda reaffirmed it.

I'm going to put the final parts list in the next post, then probably won't be putting any more build content into this thread. To be sure, I'll be on here discussing it if anyone comments, but future pics will most likely be restricted to the "finished" thread, or other threads where applicable.

-Rob

Last edited:
Tracksman IFG Build Specs
Frame: Worksman Industrial News Boy (NYC USA) "Thanks, RRB member #ind-chuckz !"
Fork: On-One 26" segmented
Headset: Frankensteined unit, using Worksman's OEM cups, NECO 1.125" threadless crown race, adjustable race, star-nut, plastic dust shields, and one spacer (black), with one Cane Creek spacer (red), one purelycustom.com spacer (checkered), plus purelycustom.com checkered topcap with red topbolt. Oh, and different bearings. Same size/# as what NECO uses, but different profile to the retainer....(Some USA, some imported)
Stem: Dimension, black, 130mm, for 1.125" steerer and 1" handlebar
Handlebar: Wald #8095 Touring Bars, inverted for douchiness (Kentucky USA)
Grips: ODI "Vans", black with checkered clamps (Cali USA)
Bar Tape: Newbaum's (PHILA USA)
Brake Lever: Avid sd-7
Cable/Housing: Jagwire
Brake Caliper/Rotor: Avid BB7/Avid Clean Sweep
Hubs: Shimano XT m756
Spokes/Nips: Wheelsmith 14g stainless, 254mm all-around (USA)
Rims: Sun-Ringle MTX-33
Tires/Tubes: Fake Goodyear whitewalls, generic tubes
Rim Tape: Newbaum's 21mm (PHILA USA)
BB: Wald #1990 (Kentucky USA)
Cranks: Black Ops Chromoly 175mm OPC
Spider: Porkchop Chop Saw Retro (USA; I believe GA)
Front Sprocket: Porkchop Chop Saw I, 46t (GA? USA)
Chain: KMC Z510H, red/black
Rear Sprocket: Tomicog 18t (Penna USA) Hardware came cheap, thanks to True Value Hardware in Audubon (aka Naughtybon), NJ
Tensioners: Cheap spur-style jawns off of Porkchop
Pedals: Wellgo "Track" style, 1/2" for OPC
Saddle: Selle Italia "Turbo"...(Italy. Ha.)
DooDads: 3m red reflective tape (USA); Checkered Duck Tape (USA), dice valve caps (somewhere else entirely), Bootleg Worksman headbadge decal (VA USA) "Thanks, RRB member #mark sr !"
Powder Coat: White-as-my-mom colorway, courtesy of Freeride Bike Shop in Haddonfield, NJ

I think that's it. Pretty simple build, overall. If anyone ever finds this thread via search, and needs help with the disc-to-fix conversion, hit me up with a PM. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
No question now! Trackman IFG is AWESOME!!
Nice details and it looks super fast!

Latest posts

Back