Tractorliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

Reaction score
I'll be doing a scratch built frame around vintage parts. I've done this before, but the results weren't as dramatic as I'd hoped, so it took me quite a long time to come up with the right dramatic parts for it. Enter... a Murray kids pedal tractor. Since Murray built such bikes as the Spaceliner, Flightliner, and other *liners, I came up with the last minute name of Tractorliner.

Here's the basic layout:
IMG_2120_zpsffd72d60.jpg

And here's some of the parts I may use:
IMG_2301_zpsfd612423.jpg

That's right, the body of the kids pedal tractor will be my "tank." Other possible parts include for those who care:

Roadmaster springer.
Skiptooth wheelset (and probably two chains, ouch).
Cream 2.35" tires from Chimi.
A cool siren.
Art deco stem.
Triumph 7/8" motorcycle handlebars.
And very special grips, made out of the fingers of a baseball glove by one of the best bike builders I've ever met, Bicycle Ray (Kutnhack on this site).

kingfish254

CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF!
Pro Member
Reaction score
Using that pedal tractor metal as a tank is genius.
This may become my favorite science build yet!!!! I love the concept!

MazdaFlyer

Like “RadioFlyer”
Pro Member
Reaction score
OK, this is the most original one I've seen so far. Neat stuff.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments, all.

Today I found that the only head tube I had the right size (1" ladies) had lugs, and I couldn't figure out way to use the lugs and still look clean, so I took most of my shop time today grinding the head tube slim enough to slip the whole thing inside an 1 1/2" piece of tubing that I had cut to the same length as the head tube. I then welded them up at the ends and cleaned it up. Now I have something to start from! So I began.
IMG_2302_zpsebba6c47.jpg

Reaction score
I'm trying to be careful, as I'm aiming to craft the frame around the "tank" as close as I can. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to build the back end, yet, as I suppose it depends on what seat I settle on.
IMG_2303_zps99bdf3e3.jpg