Tractorliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'll be doing a scratch built frame around vintage parts. I've done this before, but the results weren't as dramatic as I'd hoped, so it took me quite a long time to come up with the right dramatic parts for it. Enter... a Murray kids pedal tractor. Since Murray built such bikes as the Spaceliner, Flightliner, and other *liners, I came up with the last minute name of Tractorliner.

Here's the basic layout:
IMG_2120_zpsffd72d60.jpg

And here's some of the parts I may use:
IMG_2301_zpsfd612423.jpg

That's right, the body of the kids pedal tractor will be my "tank." Other possible parts include for those who care:

Roadmaster springer.
Skiptooth wheelset (and probably two chains, ouch).
Cream 2.35" tires from Chimi.
A cool siren.
Art deco stem.
Triumph 7/8" motorcycle handlebars.
And very special grips, made out of the fingers of a baseball glove by one of the best bike builders I've ever met, Bicycle Ray (Kutnhack on this site).

Using that pedal tractor metal as a tank is genius.
This may become my favorite science build yet!!!! I love the concept!

OK, this is the most original one I've seen so far. Neat stuff.

Thanks for all the comments, all.

Today I found that the only head tube I had the right size (1" ladies) had lugs, and I couldn't figure out way to use the lugs and still look clean, so I took most of my shop time today grinding the head tube slim enough to slip the whole thing inside an 1 1/2" piece of tubing that I had cut to the same length as the head tube. I then welded them up at the ends and cleaned it up. Now I have something to start from! So I began.
IMG_2302_zpsebba6c47.jpg

I'm trying to be careful, as I'm aiming to craft the frame around the "tank" as close as I can. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to build the back end, yet, as I suppose it depends on what seat I settle on.
IMG_2303_zps99bdf3e3.jpg

Latest posts

Back