Trail Ripper "FINISHED" Now With Video!!!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im building this for the Scooter Build off going on right now!Any body else want to jump in and build a Scooter jump right in the more people the better!So I thought id make this a full suspension Trail Ripper,I started with a mongoose MTB and a excersize bike,im using a 26" front with shock forks,a 24" rear with a swingarm im making,and a shock with 750lb spring,this one should be alot of fun...Heres where im at so far....
buildoff3.jpg
buildoff4.jpg
buildoff5.jpg
buildoff6.jpg
buildoff9.jpg
buildoff7.jpg
buildoff8.jpg
buildoff10.jpg
buildoff11.jpg
buildoff12.jpg

Re: Trail Ripper

I really like it, and from what I've read about modern scooters is that the key is getting the deck as low as possible, this being a trail runner you don't want it too low, but still low enough so you don't hurt your back bending down to pump (sorry just thinking out loud now) so are you going to have enough clearance under the deck to accomodate for the suspension travel without bottoming out?

yoothgeye said:
I really like it, and from what I've read about modern scooters is that the key is getting the deck as low as possible, this being a trail runner you don't want it too low, but still low enough so you don't hurt your back bending down to pump (sorry just thinking out loud now) so are you going to have enough clearance under the deck to accomodate for the suspension travel without bottoming out?

I know on scooters made for the street the lower the better,but on this on ill try and give at least 3" of clearence with the suspension compressed...I think after I get the frame done ill cycle the suspension and mount it accordingly,being higher shouldnt be bad because I plan on coasting downhill instead of foot pumping like a traditional scooter.....

FatBoy said:
I know on scooters made for the street the lower the better,but on this on ill try and give at least 3" of clearence with the suspension compressed...I think after I get the frame done ill cycle the suspension and mount it accordingly,being higher shouldnt be bad because I plan on coasting downhill instead of foot pumping like a traditional scooter.....

Sounds excellent, you can also get away with foot pumping by adding a chain "pump" pedal on the back, that would be awesome, and pretty easy to make.

[Sounds excellent, you can also get away with foot pumping by adding a chain "pump" pedal on the back, that would be awesome, and pretty easy to make.[/quote]

I like that idea,like yhe old kick and go scooters! :mrgreen: 8)

FatBoy said:
I like that idea,like yhe old kick and go scooters! :mrgreen: 8)

Exactly, it would be enough to get your over some flats. A spring loaded pedal and chain alignment would be super simple.

Yoothgeye,You sure got my wheels turning on this idea .I know how to make it work and the suspension shouldnt be a problem because the spring would work as a tensioner,I have a 24" rear wheel I could remove the cassete and put on a single freewheel,The swingarm hasnt been welded yet so I could open it up a bit to fit the wider hub,I think it would be really cool,Im just not sure what I want to do yet but it is a great idea!

FatBoy said:
Yoothgeye,You sure got my wheels turning on this idea .I know how to make it work and the suspension shouldnt be a problem because the spring would work as a tensioner,I have a 24" rear wheel I could remove the cassete and put on a single freewheel,The swingarm hasnt been welded yet so I could open it up a bit to fit the wider hub,I think it would be really cool,Im just not sure what I want to do yet but it is a great idea!

Yeah, I got myself thinking about it too, why be limited by past ideas though, the pump pedal could be forward instead of aft, who knows. Looking at your design and seeing the exact parts laying around my shop makes me want to make one. I'm wondering if I keep the platform short with the rear suspension swing joint far enough inboard, it may rule out the need for a front suspension... I don't know... thinking thinking. I just need more downhill around here.

Im thinking your right....Id like to do it where you could use either foot to pump :?

FatBoy said:
Im thinking your right....Id like to do it where you could use either foot to pump :?

Here's an idea, don't think pump pedal, think pump platform... :wink:

After playing with it for a couple hours Im gonna try some kind of a horseshoe shape pedal over the shock that can be pushed by either foot ......I took the gears off of the other wheel now ill have to break down and buy the tool for the freewheel,Ive allready got the single freewheel im just hoping the threads are the same.I think ill be able to do more when I finish the wheel and mount it so I can line it all up...

FatBoy said:
After playing with it for a couple hours Im gonna try some kind of a horseshoe shape pedal over the shock that can be pushed by either foot ......I took the gears off of the other wheel now ill have to break down and buy the tool for the freewheel,Ive allready got the single freewheel im just hoping the threads are the same.I think ill be able to do more when I finish the wheel and mount it so I can line it all up...

I bought the freewheel tool about a year back and I have removed so many freewheels with it that would've been impossible otherwise. I have used it with a BIG adjustable wrench or a clamp the tool in my vise and turn the wheel to remove it, that works very well with really tight freewheels. I have yet to encounter a differently threaded hub or freewheel and have been swapping them back and forth and making quite a few single speeds. I think the tool was under $10 and worth every penny.

After work I hit the LBS and picked up the tool for 10 bucks!!The freewheels switched fairly easy and the wheel fit with very little spreading of the swingarm so I guess ill give it a try...Theres alot going on with the suspension,chain path,pedal,and rear brake but these things tend to build themselves sometimes :mrgreen: Ill try and get some more build time this weekend...

FatBoy said:
After work I hit the LBS and picked up the tool for 10 bucks!!The freewheels switched fairly easy and the wheel fit with very little spreading of the swingarm so I guess ill give it a try...Theres alot going on with the suspension,chain path,pedal,and rear brake but these things tend to build themselves sometimes :mrgreen: Ill try and get some more build time this weekend...

Right on!

Here is a pic of the old cassete freewheel and the single freewheel I took off a excersize wheel ...
buildoff13.jpg
And here is the wheel mounted with the chain and spring,The problem Im having is theres not much room to keep the chain straight while mounting it to a lever or pedal...I like the idea of it but im not sure it will fit on this project,But I will kick around a few more ideas before giving up.I looked at the original kick and go Honda and its alot more complicated then I thought so I wanted to simplify my design but thats not so easy either,Any suggestions?
buildoff14.jpg

You're on the right track so far, maybe have the chain go under the deck and turn again? Without being there I'm worthless, but I love to make things work.

Latest posts

Back