Trail Ripper "FINISHED" Now With Video!!!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Trail Ripper

Idea! How about the chain set up so that when the suspension cycles the chain is pulled and cranks forward. You would "bounce" the suspension to turn the rear wheel.

I was thinking something along those lines...The problem I keep running into with the lever is when the geometry is right it only pulls the chain about 3",Ive got another idea ill try tomorrow if it works it should pull about 6" and I think that would be o.k. When in doubt try try again :mrgreen:

Heres is a rough start for my Pedal but it works,the post will be cut down and the rest cleaned up...
scooter.jpg
scooter2-2.jpg

This is getting exciting. Thinking about it, with a one way chain that does not cycle all the way around you can more easily protect and route each bit of it for safety and efficiency.

Wow fatboy, I didn't understand what you were doing there at first but that is really neat! That'll be so cool, going along foomph foomph foomph. Uh if you get what I mean :?

Thanks guys....Now I have got to start welding and finishing this thing...Today im supposed to get a set of RockShox for the front from a buddy,then I need to cut the front tubes and figure out the neck....I have a ton to do everything needs finished! I dont think I have had a project with this many loose ends before but Ill start plugin away and see if I can get more time so I can be done by the deadline...

Re: Trail Ripper "Kick and Go"

I got my Forks today and that led to another MTB sacrafice,I had to get a 1 1/8 headtube ,neck and bars ...It should add to the strength and that wont hurt,since this is on the heavy side with all the added bells and whistles!Ill try and take alot of pics when I final fit everything...
scooter5.jpg
scooter6.jpg
scooter7.jpg

I had to turn the shock around for chain clearence it didnt hit but was close...
buildoff19.jpg

The shock being turned around shouldn't effect performance. If the chain still has tight clearances or possible rubbing, you can put a piece of pex tubing (flexible plumbing pipe) over the chain and strap the pex to the possible rub point. Cody ran the chain of his burrito bike through pex where it would have hit the underside of the seat and the chain runs through it quietly and has never had a binding issue, not sure of the size, but it is pretty small, just bigger than the chain.

Yoothgeye,That is a good idea,plumbers leave scraps of pex laying around job sites all the time in different colors even red ,white,and blue.I wont need it on this one but might work on another project I have....

I know,Shame on me for building on Thanksgiving!I snuck out and finished up my pedal mount/arms while my Wife was preparing the Turkey.I shortened the mount post cut at 22 degrees and made a plate to box in the top,cleaned up the pedal arms,and drilled and tapped the post to make a pedal stop with a 1/4 allen bolt.Ive pretty much got the rear figured out except the brake,but ive got alot of welding ahead of me!Hopefully by the weekend I have the frame and head tube set and ready to weld up.Happy Thanksgiving everyone...
buildoff20.jpg
buildoff21.jpg

Re: Trail Ripper "My Version of a Kick and Go"

Got the swing arm mounts finished up....
buildoff22.jpg
buildoff23.jpg

The Turkey is almost ready to carve so I guess im done for today,I got alot done though!Finished the pedal assembly,welded the gear,mounting post cap,and welded some washers in the pedal tube to make it solid to push on.....
buildoff24.jpg
buildoff25.jpg
buildoff26.jpg
buildoff28.jpg
buildoff29.jpg
buildoff27.jpg

Thank you for making my dream come to life, let me know when you're done and I'll get you my address for shipping. :lol:

yoothgeye said:
Thank you for making my dream come to life, let me know when you're done and I'll get you my address for shipping. :lol:

I gotta say thanks for the idea!If your ever out here in Ca you can ride it all ya want!!! 8) :mrgreen:

I got a little time today and got the frame cut to length with a step notch,made a support tube for the swingarm,and got a set of brakes that mount under the swingar! Hopefully tomorrow Ill be able to figure out the head tube so I can start melting it all together!!!Im thinking of raking the front up a couple inches but im not quite sure yet....Oh yeah I finally used a better camera :lol:
DSC00104.jpg
DSC00103.jpg
DSC00105.jpg
DSC00106.jpg

Re: Trail Ripper "My Version of a Off Road Kick and Go"

The pex pipe I used was 1/2 inch the chain fits nicely with not a lot of room for it to slap around and as yoothgeye said its very smooth.

Yeah I almost finished the Frame!I got the swingarm stripped down ready to weld once I get the frame dialed in...
DSC00109.jpg
DSC00110.jpg
DSC00111-1.jpg
DSC00112.jpg
DSC00113.jpg
DSC00114.jpg
DSC00108.jpg
DSC00107.jpg

Its my last day off and I finally got it into a roller!!! :D Its almost all welded up ,I still need to mount the pedal and make a deck but I wanted to make sure there were no suspension issues...And I rode it around the house and it works great just like it should, a little bouncy,but it doesnt bottom out and I have the front at 5" and the rear at 3 1/2"deck height and I can set it up alot stiffer so Im am stoked to say the least!!!!
DSC00116.jpg
DSC00115.jpg
DSC00117.jpg
DSC00118.jpg
DSC00119.jpg
DSC00120.jpg
DSC00122.jpg
DSC00123.jpg
DSC00124.jpg
DSC00125.jpg
DSC00126.jpg

Latest posts