Trans Gender Regress

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I had some downtime, while waiting for parts for other two projects,
Zebra &Tiger (pictures 15 -18)
so I picked up this (80's?) Ward’s Open Road Cruiser from CL with the intention of ratting it.

Since all I have been doing lately is GIRLS bikes, decided to cut this one up.

I printed a picture of what I had to work with, and penciled in the top tube and straight bar. It looked fairly easy, so I broke out my saw.

After I had cut the top tube off, I flipped it over for a test fit. It had another curve in it that I didn’t want, so I packed it with wet sand, capped both ends, and pounded on it with a rubber mallet until it looked straight.

I cut a section of PVC pipe and painted it black to act as a visual and template for the straight bar. When I found the correct position, I got a 3/4" steel tube and fabricated a straight tube also.

Then I cut it to fit, and welded it in place.

My fishmouth joints were great, but welds looked terrible due to the settings I was using on my mig, so I had a lot of clean up to do, but I came out looking okay.

Primered after stripping to bare metal.

Sprayed the frame flat black.

I wanted to try something different on the chainguard, so I rattle can painted it red,orange, yellow, and white.

When that was dry, I masked it off and cut out a flame pattern, and painted the whole chainguard flat black.

When I took off the masking tape, it revealed a multi-colored flame. Then I tried to pinstripe the flame in light blue like old school flames to make it pop.

Found a Rat Trap springer fork on ebay cheap because it was missing the spring truss rod. (and it was in really crusty condition)

I searched for one with no luck, so I fabricated one out of some 3/8" round bar. All I had to work with was my hands and a butane torch.

I ended up making the rod about ½" longer than stock, so the final position was a bit off.

When I assembled the whole fork, it looked good on my paint stands without wheels, but when I put a wheel on it, it looked hokey. Just too short. The wheelbase was 43" to begin with.

What it needed was to have the rockers flipped, so I did that and achieved the look I was going for.
Doing this also extended the wheelbase almost three inches.

I had taken the original rear wheel, which was missing spokes and was loose and crusty, removed the spokes, cleaned it, sanded and painted the rim red.

I ordered some new spokes and tried my hand at lacing the wheel. I watched a couple of youtube videos on how to lace a wheel, but had trouble with the first four tries to make it tight.
It seems that the outer spokes were laced in a counter clockwise fashion, and the holes were drilled opposite of the new wheels I was using as an example, and were not crossed under. Very confusing.

I ended up following the marks on the hub from the original spokes to get the spacing correct. The sixth time I tightened all the spokes was the winner.

I found another rim for a donor for the front and painted and laced it the first time with no problems.

This is how it sits currently, still looking for just the right seat, apehanger bars and fenders to bob for completion. Stay tuned.

5/28 Got my tires and bars mounted!

Wow, great looking gender bender! :mrgreen: I really like the flames on the chainguard 8)

Flames, apes, and springer...oh yeah!! I kind of liked the black rear/whitewall front. Gave it a wicked, mean look. :mrgreen:

Very nice job on the frame and concept. I like the springer stretched out it levels out the top and center tube just looks right very cool.

tastelikedirt said:
Very nice!
Thanks!

mitchelangelo said:
Flames, apes, and springer...oh yeah!! I kind of liked the black rear/whitewall front. Gave it a wicked, mean look. :mrgreen:
I sort of agree on the mixed tires, but I was going for a classic bobber look - and I like the matching tires.

XC204 said:
Very nice job on the frame and concept. I like the springer stretched out it levels out the top and center tube just looks right very cool.
I like it much better that way too. Now I want to do another bike - only better!

Lowlife Lucas said:
Nice work!
Thanks!

Sweet job on the flaming fade, and the gender swap. All your stuff looks like it came off the showroom floor that way 8) Nice bike stand too !!!

Here's an idea I had kicking around. You be the judge.
Since I am waiting for the parts I ordered to stop touring the U.S. and bouncing back and forth between USPS sorting hubs,( so far three extra days here in CA ) I had some time to play around with the idea.

I was considering putting it on this bike, but I am not sure.
You guys can help me decide if I should go with one like this - or a standard black leather seat. I have also bobbed and mounted a rear fender.

Tell me what you think and I'll post some pics later.

Don't know if I like this now that it's on the bike...

Took it for a "shake down" ride today, found I need new crank bearings, and a rear axle - lots of popping and crunching sounds. The new chain was tight then loose- then tight. Guess the axle is bent.

Looks like it's going fast...

CCR said:
Sweet job on the flaming fade, and the gender swap. All your stuff looks like it came off the showroom floor that way 8) Nice bike stand too !!!
Thanks I appreciate the kind words! The original kick stand is kinda weak, and with the apes the bike is top heavy. It fell over already - now I have to repaint it. (ha,ha,ha!)

Love the flames and the denim blue seat will bring together the blue pinstripe on the flames hope ya gona make some denim grips to finish it of . That is 8) as penguin p**s

Not sure I like the denim now... I added a new chain, leather grips with homemade real leather streamers, and took it for a test ride.
Guess I'm gonna hafta order more parts.

I love the denim and flames! :shock:
It's traditional , but yet " dare to be different"
Well balanced! LOOKS GREAT! 8)

Latest posts

Back