Trans-MIG-RaT...RidE ViDeo ! Pg 15

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't completely sold on the lower than usual placement of the 'middle' bar at first, but after seeing the money shot I have to say that it has a tough look!
index.php

I wasn't completely sold on the lower than usual placement of the 'middle' bar at first, but after seeing the money shot I have to say that it has a tough look!
index.php

I totally dig that back light placement. Done it the same in my daily cruiser. That frame has a totally tough look to it.

index.php
I really respect that, TRM! You are the master of the 'perfect stance', so I take that with the utmost respect. I thought the same when I first saw it mocked up, and now with wheels, bars, fork and saddle; it confirms it.

I totally dig that back light placement. Done it the same in my daily cruiser. That frame has a totally tough look to it.
Spike, I will be changing saddles, and rear light placement for the final go; but I think you might like the final version as well! Stay with me brother!

Yeah the lower straight bar really adds to the 'Phat'ness of the frame...and this was a cool looking frame to begin with. And with the 2.5 tires this is all looking super cool! It's all proportionally Phat :)
Where did you get those cool tires anyway?

Well that was fun getting caught up in that entire thread . It really Looks killer OJ . I love how the DX top tube flows perfectly with the rear half of the the CwC . I agree with TRM I wasn’t sold on the placement of the second straight bar . But after seeing it all together it works really well . The whole thing about rating is being different and still keeping a cool look . So far you nailed it dude . I also like the added truss bars to the fork . My only concern would be the copper will not be strong enough for your riding stile . You may consider making some steal connectors at your buddy’s shop .
So far [emoji1303][emoji1303] RaToN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m thinking you have a plan for that lower lug. Or maybe not. There must be a reason to keep it...

Yeah the lower straight bar really adds to the 'Phat'ness of the frame...and this was a cool looking frame to begin with. And with the 2.5 tires this is all looking super cool! It's all proportionally Phat :)
Where did you get those cool tires anyway?
These are Sunlite Sandy Beach model tires. In the States, we have a distribution company called jbi.org that services the local bike shops around the country with about 8 warehouses spread from coast to coast.

You can also find them on ebay, they sell for between $22 and $25, many with free shipping.

I really like the 'phatness' of this so far too! Thanks.

Well that was fun getting caught up in that entire thread . It really Looks killer OJ . I love how the DX top tube flows perfectly with the rear half of the the CwC . I agree with TRM I wasn’t sold on the placement of the second straight bar . But after seeing it all together it works really well . The whole thing about rating is being different and still keeping a cool look . So far you nailed it dude . I also like the added truss bars to the fork . My only concern would be the copper will not be strong enough for your riding stile . You may consider making some steal connectors at your buddy’s shop .
So far [emoji1303][emoji1303] RaToN

Thanks G! I don't plan on taking this thing off any jumps, so hopefully the copper lugs will hold up. :21:

RaT oN~!

I’m thinking you have a plan for that lower lug. Or maybe not. There must be a reason to keep it...

Yep, there's a plan. That's something I hope I can accomplish in the next day or so. It has to do with the 4 speed rear hub.....and there's no 'floor' so it has to go somewhere.... :nerd:

Yep, there's a plan. That's something I hope I can accomplish in the next day or so. It has to do with the 4 speed rear hub.....and there's no 'floor' so it has to go somewhere.... :nerd:

Thought so... looks like the perfect spot for a shifter to me. :nod:

Four on the stump... doesn't quite have the same ring :rolleyes:

Glen.

Great video OJ!
It wouldn't surprise me if those spokes are fine, I have found that the hub flange diameter makes only a tiny difference to spoke length required...
Another factor here was a traditional wheel with no offset where the hub came from, as opposed to my wheel where the holes are off-set to each side of the rim.

Turned out I cut them from 258 mm to 250 mm, and it turned out well. I used the UBI (United Bicycle Institute) spoke length calculator, and dug up some rusty conversion math skills to get there!

Just finished lacing them up about 1/2 hr ago. Will take some photos after lunch.

Looks great. The bar placement is very Cycle Truck!
Yeah, it has a very 'beefy' look to it. Especially knowing how it started out. That CWC frame has some nice 'curves' to it....:giggle:

Follow up to my Videologue #1 (watch it for more details).
Last night after I clocked out at the bike shop, I took the original spokes from the rear wheel and cut them and threaded them to fit the Shimano 4spd hub dimensions.

Laced it up in the BACK40 this morning, then popped over to the shop to fine tune it in an actual truing stand. It's only about a mile and a half away, which makes for a great commute on rat rod bikes!

Now to mount the tire and work out my '4 off the floor' shifter plan.:cool2:
20190505_161802.jpg

20190507_131659.jpg

20190507_131725.jpg

I used the UBI (United Bicycle Institute) spoke length calculator, and dug up some rusty conversion math skills to get there!

Nice to know about that calculator. Till now I used the one on Sapim site, and it always gives me weird calculations like 293,297,241 etc. When I calculated the spokes to my project rear wheel it stated 295 on both left and right. Turned out that 294 were too long, 292 where perfect.

Nice to see that you use the same tools :)

Great work on the wheel, that 4 speed is a realy rare thing, when I mentiond it in my shop it was like listening to grandpas bed time story - "A friend, of mine, who had a friend, who's cousin worked at a shop once saw a bike with that hub..."

Latest posts

Back