Triple Trouble

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
A new build starting.
A kid sized triple.
This thread might see page two or three before continued, lots of other projects started,
But as I was cleaning up all the donor bikes, took the time to start Triple Trouble.

I can just hear some folks screaming, " He cut those bikes up. They're ruined. Why would anybody want to cut bikes up."

Well I say, "rescued" from the scrap man.

Still lots of parts to find.
triple trouble 1.JPG
triple trouble 2.JPG

I can't hear anyone around here saying that. No need to justify or explain
That's because RRB is a different and better site.
When I was cutting up those bikes I was thinking of the thread question,"Why would anyone
build a ratrod bicycle"
So in my head, I heard the debate, "ruined, no, rescued, no, ruined, no, rescued" and so on.
Made me laugh at the time.

Triple trouble got a small setback when I borrowed the adjustable BB for UpDown 2.

Thats OK, I will weld some other BB in.

Planning to document the setting up, the same way as I have done with the BMX tandems.

What I do may not be the best way, but it works, is easy to set up, and easy to copy.

i just use a board for a building jig.

Pics to follow.

Today should be a quiet day. Mild temps with light winds.
Expecting some company. Water some new trees.

Still found some time early to "set up" TT on a board jig.

A 2x4 will work, but a 2x6 is better. This one is a old door jam, rescued from stripping
out this old house.

As I have posted before, some of my methods are primitive.
But they are also cheap and easy to use, very adaptable, can be made to fit the situation,
and easy to duplicate.
tripple trouble set up re.JPG

Here is a closeup of the clamps and spacers used to mount the parts.

For BMX to tandems I've used 1/2" plywood blocks for the axles, and 2x4 's for the bottombrackets.
As many BMX bikes have long cranks, they also have high BB's.

The "Trail -a - bike" used for this build was for little kids, with short cranks and lower BB's.
So I am raising the BB's up with the 2x4's , planing on later changing out the short cranks
for some mid range as the kids grow.

The 'clamps" are simple angle brackets, cut in two at the bend, or scraps of metal with
holes drilled.
i like to use "torx-head" screws, because they are reuseable.
front axle clamp re.JPG
BB clamp re.JPG

Last edited:
The axles are saved from old bikes. The washers help hold things together.

To raise up the BB's I am using the same 2x4 blocks as the front, leveling the bottom
tube, and then making a temp block and clamp for the rear axle.
After the frame is welded up, new rear dropouts can be made or rescued from another BMX
bike. Most likely rear facing.
tag a-long clamp re.JPG
temp rear axle clamp re.JPG

When the new rear dropouts are welded on, a 1/2 " plywood spacer will be used for the axle.
thereby leaving the finished frame level, and leaving room for longer cranks when needed.
Looks like someone stole a bottombracket for another build.

Now just to find a BB, and a couple of frame tubes somewhere.

Latest posts

Back