Trouble selling...is this ad ok?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It us a good bike. It has some really good parts on it, such as the Brooks and the 3 speed SA, but it also has a couple of strikes against it: 1 that style of bike (70s British tourer) isn't really all that popular, and 2 it is a step through frame, which hurts the value as well. Nothing wrong with them, just not in high demand. I'd say that you are doing well at $330.

Last edited:
It us a good bike. It has some really good parts on it, such as the Brooks and the 3 speed SA, but it also has a couple of strikes against it: 1 that style of bike (70s British tourer) isn't really all that popular, and it is a step through frame, which hurts the value as well. Nothing wrong with them, just not in high demand. I'd say that you are doing well at $330.
Ok, thanks Matti.

I agree, good bike, Raleigh Sports are a great ride, also agree with the strikes against.
You could hold out for that price and someone may eventually bite. It's a shame coz it's such a classic, looks perfect, and prolly rides perfect too.

Or you could keep hold of the brooks and other more expensive parts (the rack?) and lower the price accordingly... put a cheaper saddle on it? It would still look good & ride good.

You just don't want to keep dropping the price and end up selling it for less than the parts are worth.

I have had success with C/L and FB marketplace (buying and selling). I won't comment on price except if most of the 3-speeds in nice shape on your local C/L are priced at $100, yours will be a tough sell at 3X the price. I often do as arty dave has said, remove cool parts to use on other builds and replace with lesser parts that are fully functional - then you can lower the price and many times for myself the bike I sell is not my size or to my personal taste but salvaging parts that actually attracted me to pick up the bike in the first place - like that Brooks...
Ad 1.jpg
Ad 2.jpg

I like to see the first photo of a bike for sale to be overall shot of the complete bike. When scanning ads that is the pic potential buyers see. Good luck with the sale!

Sold it today...300.00 Older woman said she had this bike as a kid! Was looking for one. Rides great...think she likes it! Glad she got it...appreciates it and brings her back.....I like that!
Sitting here in my room looking at the empty spot where it resided...miss it, like ALL of my
bikes I have sold! And it goes on........................................

That's awesome! Well done on the sale price too : ) It's always a cool ending with this kind of story.
I regret most of my sales too lol
...and yet another one soon comes along promising more ...a better fit ...shinier or rarer parts :crazy: ...or even the Holy Grail on the wish list!

Latest posts

Back