True value of vintage parts (Just an observation)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Im sure it comes as no shock to anyone here that prices for cool old parts has kinda spiraled outta control, but I cant figure out why. Those who are into this hobby know, for the most part, what these parts are worth and are not going to pay $700 for a double clamp redline stem from the 80s. At least I wouldn't. Would any of you? That was from an actual CL ad here in Sarasota. And Ebay...geez Louise...those sellers gotta be the worst. $400 for a set of chrome 26" Schwinn steelies PLUS $150 for shipping...Are these sellers waiting for the poor chump who doesn't know any better? It really sucks because I have been deterred from a purchase because the price of something I really needed or wanted was simply unreasonable, and that's sad simply because it keeps cool old parts on the shelf instead of on the bike where they belong. Im not against anyone making a few bucks, but $2800 for a pair of Bottema forks??? (again...a real Ebay listing) Yes, I know, rare = $$..but still, is that a REASONABLE price?? Anyway, I guess it boils down to "its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it".
And to be crystal clear, I have NOT seen the practice of price gouging on this site. And I know that is due to common interests, and the more accessible we make our stuff to others, the more popular this hobby can become, but mostly because everyone here just seems to be pretty cool and non-douchy. I would love to hear any POVs
Screenshot_2020-10-07-10-31-50.png
on this subject.

You can't go by "asking" prices on ebay sale ads for valuation. You have to filter the search to show SOLD listings. Then you see what people actually paid for items and not what people are asking.

Here's the thing, and most novice collectors or non collectors don't get.

Old does not equal valueable.
Rarity and exclusivity however does.

If something was high end or rare back then, its even more rare and expensive now.
Common and mass produced things just don't carry any value to a real collector, sure they may be cool and classic, and all that, but a collector wants what no one else has.

An enthusiast which is what the majority of people here are, just like what they like. They won't pay the astronomical prices a collector will. Good enough is just fine.

They also probably aren't the ones going to bike shows and spotting all those rare parts and knowing the value they have. So while a $5 seat clamp works the same as a $250 one, that 250 is so much more rare, and in the eyes of judges, and those in the know those little parts make an otherwise average bike into a show winner.

There's room for both in the hobby.

Yes, it sucks that stuff is going up, but its really only the rare and expensive old stuff that carries that cache. I see plenty of bikes every single day that are great bikes, and being sold under value. Its what keeps me in this hobby, I buy on average about 3-5 bikes a week, and sell a few less than that back and get to keep all the cool and rare parts for builds or completes for the collection.

The only stuff that is really gone up in value alot is the BMX. 90s BMX has exploded this year, and is now fetching insane amounts. 5 years ago it was 80s BMX.

I just spent $100 on a sprocket for a build. I never thought I would, but I recently sold a mid 90s GT overdrive sprocket for $265. I didn't even have to list it. I simply saw a guys collection, posted something he didn't have, and he bought it. There was several other people that tried to jump in and get it also. I thought it was insane, but when you have a mint condition piece, with both historical value and rarity, people will fight over them, because there is far less of them that exist than people who want them.

I've almost gotten out of BMX collecting because of this. Its pricing out the guys like me who collect, but also ride in favor of the hardcore carpet queen collectors with big pockets. They are actually buying up all those rare things making them even scarcer. I know several guys with $50k collections that wont blink an eye to drop a thousand dollars on a bike, even if they already have one, just because they now have the ability to hold it and ask more, because they themselves made it rarer.

Its actually more common than you'd think. If I had 20k to invest in bikes right now, I would, because I know I can make that back two fold within 2 years.

Even older tank bikes seem to be going up, not as much, but they are going up. At least the Schwinns and other rare or desirable ones. I see 50-60s schwinns fetching $2000+ now, that just a few years ago were selling for half that.

My advise: Buy what you like and ride it. Don't overpay. If its collectible, great, if not oh well.

I've been hunting down old parts that are too far gone for most people and rehabbing them. Frames that need repaired, womens parts bikes, odd parts that nobody seems to know what they fit. Most of the stuff I get is dirt cheap and sometimes free. I spend a lot of time cleaning up the old junk to make it usable again but I'd rather do that than sit in front of a TV 1000%. If crusty old patina is your thing, there's deals to be had out there. I promise that I won't deprive the collectors of their priceless parts :21:.

Collectors are a flock of strange bowerbirds
1602191343988.png

When all the people who remember how "valuable" a thing is go to the big flea market in the sky, only the item's true utility will remain and the price will go down.

At the end of the day it's just a piece of sheet metal cut and bent in a certain way or a doodad for keeping your handlebars where you left them.

Latest posts

Back