Trussworthy-6/5 Done!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Trussworthy

Thanks for the comments on the fish,I thought it turned out pretty niffty.

On a side note,the frame is now in primer and the fork will hopefully be done tomorrow.Pictures to come.
-Kreep-

Alright,Got some etching primer on last night. Nevermind the random shop stray cat Blue.
001-11.jpg

Came in this morning and started to get things in order for the fork.Had to do a little trimming to get the truss plate to fit under the fork crown.I still might go another route with the truss supports,I do have two options.
002-10.jpg

003-10.jpg

Did some wet sanding on the first couple primer coats and sprayed the first coat of black base coat.
009-6.jpg

While waiting for the rain to calm down I had another random "Hey, you want these?" walk into the shop.I said yes.There is about 200,mostly metal some plastic-all Florida.They will be for sale soon.
004-9.jpg

008-6.jpg

I am going to hit it hard tomorrow and get the frame in final paint and get the fork welded and ready for paint. After that comes the stem/handle bars on Sat....think Kelly.. :D
More tomorrow!! Including head badge and parts.
-Kreep-

killingevilnine said:
do any of those plates say martin?

Nope,Sorry. Lots of them,but no Martin's.I will be listing them next week.

Also...metal stack came in for the bars. :D
-Kreep-

Another update on some progress being made.Trying to get this sucker buttoned up before its to late.Well I went a diff. route with the fork truss bracket.I shortened it and plan to weld the truss rods right to the fork and plate, Rather than make them removable.I will get the truss rods welded on tomorrow.
001-12.jpg

002-11.jpg

021-1.jpg

I think im going to use this "Guardian" badge that I have for the bike.I wanted to make or get a custom one but time constraints.I figure who's more "Trussworthy" than a Guardian? :?
013-3.jpg

And I hinted at what the bars were going to be,nobody chimed in...so without further ado... the beginnings of My take on the Old kelly adjustable bars.I love the originals but I cant justify spending the coin plus I wanted to change them up to be stronger.
The start,steel blanks and soft jaws for the Bridgeport.
006-8.jpg

Chucked in the lathe.Facing them and drilling a center hole for the bolt.
007-6.jpg

In the Bridgeport drilling and reaming the bolt circle,12 holes in two pieces.
010-5.jpg

014-4.jpg

Taking the rear disc and pressing dowel pins in to make it the lock for the other pieces.(Note only the finest grease for this process :lol: )
017-1.jpg

016-2.jpg

The rough product of a few hours and a case of beer.
019-1.jpg

020-1.jpg

Hopefully you can see where I'm heading.
024.jpg

Thanks for looking.These bars/stem combo will be done by the weekend! I promise you they are getting ALOT more work and detail.I also have all of the other parts ready for the bike.Once the fork is done the bike will finally start to be assembled.
-Kreep-

Re: Trussworthy-Start of Kelly knock-off bars.

Thanks Guys!Yes those jaws have seen a few jobs for sure.I'm only doing two sets right now.I always make two of anything that I make.I might make some more in the future that are a little more simple.
More updates tomorrow.
-Kreep-

Nice work, frame looks great! :wink:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Nice work, frame looks great! :wink:

Thanks!

I haven't forgotten about this thing here....I have never had so many things come up in such a short amount of time!Aside from the flooding and just being crazy busy at the shop...Now dealing with having my arm run over by a guy who ran the stop sign.Luckily nothings broken,just sore and bruised.made some good progress though.The bars/stem are about 98% done.I will get final photos tomorrow.
For now-
Adjustment barrel welded to the stem.(I forgot to take photos of the pieces being grooved)
002-13.jpg

003-13.jpg

Making the nut out of hex stock to secure everything in place.
004-12.jpg

And the bars ready to be welded.
005-10.jpg

I cant tell you how happy I am with how they came out.It's late now and I have an early mornin'-but a late afternoon :wink: -More updates including the bar reveal.
-Kreep-

I had forgotten about that idea. Can't wait to see it installed!!!!

Well,I got The wheels fancied up a bit.Grabbed one with a greasy hand and it looked great.Decided to just rub my greasy hands over the hoops and spokes-I dig the result...paint,nah,Original paint...even brought out the faint pin striping.A pic showing the difference.
001-16.jpg

A terribly shakey pic of the nut for the patent pending :lol: "Smelly bars",With an equally terrible photo of the custom made brass washer and it being turned down.
003-14.jpg

007-7.jpg

002-14.jpg

And with out further ado...the bars! I wish that I could have them in the bike, unfortunately that will be tomorrow.-no energy or beer left.
This is just a quick set of pictures of some of the positions of the bars.I cant express how ecstatic I am about how these turned out.(I knew I could do it,Just not in this time frame!)I have everything done for the bike,Just waiting on tubes for the wheels.Continue to watch!...I guarantee once things are put together tomorrow hopefully you folks' will start to see my vision.
Sorry for all the pic's...I have more-there is a possible 20 sumthin' odd combos on these mama jama's
017-2.jpg

012-3.jpg

016-3.jpg

018-2.jpg

015-3.jpg

014-5.jpg

013-4.jpg

And my favorite stance..
009-8.jpg

The frame is done! Tomorrow morning,parts being installed!Thanks for eye'n my build.I know I don't have the regular normal update post's...deal with it!See ya tomorrow.
-Kreep-

Re: Trussworthy-6/2--Smelly bars!

You are having too much fun with those bars aren't you???

Awesome engineering!!!

BRAVO!!!

kingfish254 said:
You are having too much fun with those bars aren't you???

Awesome engineering!!!

BRAVO!!!

Thanks.And yes I am! The girlfriend couldnt understand why they were in the bedroom... :roll:
-Kreep-

TMI DUDE TMI!!!!!!!

deven_science said:
Bars came out well.

Thanks man.I've been checking out your build on the Racycle and your take on the bars,you did a good job also.
-Kreep-

Dude, those are the sickest bars I have ever seen! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Bravo! on those bars.

Latest posts

Back