Tube bender....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In the shed, close to the beach, QLD, Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do people use?
The hydraulic jack type?
The brute force type?

Been looking at a couple on eBay for around $150-$200.
Some boast 12 tonne force.
Not sure how true that is.
How much do you need?

I have no idea about these things.

If the "dies" are good enough and the rest of the setup is a bit cheap I can always modify it.
Should I just buy the bending dies and make my own?

Has anyone made their own?

Any help/comments/advice/pictures appreciated.

Thanks.

:)

I've got zero experience with these, but that's an attractive price... probably worth experimenting with. Even if it ain't perfect, it'll probably give you ideas for when/if you build your own...

I have one of these, they are designed for pipe, not tube, they tend to crush the thin walled stuff.
There is a "How To" on use them here: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...-with-a-cheap-hydraulic-bender-updated.68228/

Luke.
Aaaah thanks heaps for that, Luke.
Very good info.

Instead of putting smaller pipe or bar inside, do you think PVC conduit would help with the kinking?
Or even copper tube?

Or would that not be enough to hold everything together...

I think I'll still get one and figure out how to use it for what I need.
Havin the "wrong" tools hasn't stopped me so far haha.

Have heard of the sand method before, but your way of putting something inside the tube makes perfect sense.

And as you say it will add extra strength (and a bit of weight).

Good stuff.

Jokes aside, I made this for bending steel bar a while back.
Does 10mm round bar no worries.

eRzjX1z.jpg

Would a similar setup, but "dragging" the smaller pulley around the bigger one (or a proper die) work?

It (the small one) would have to be grooved of course.

As would the big one.

Wouldn't a heavy duty conduit bender work for what y'all are doing? I work at a chemical plant and I see a lot of 1 inch conduit bent perfectly without kinks. Might take a little heat and trial and error but you should be able to get good results from just that.
f3728ec3d23519a39fcbb3b8b3c9a0f8.jpg

Last edited:
Wouldn't a heavy duty conduit bender work for what y'all are doing? I work at a chemical plant and I see a lot of 1 inch conduit bent perfectly without kinks. Might take a little heat and trial and error but you should be able to get good results from just that.
f3728ec3d23519a39fcbb3b8b3c9a0f8.jpg
Yeh that's an option but also wanna be able to do bigger stuff up to 50mm (2inch)

If you happen to have an exhaust shop near you, you could always ask them to use their bender. 2 inch pipe will be hard to bend with any home bender.

Yeah I gave up on getting people do to stuff for me many years ago.
Never works in the long run...
Always need to change stuff or do another one etc.

Those bottle jack type benders say they can do up to 2 inch.
And it will be thin wall stuff.

Yeah I gave up on getting people do to stuff for me many years ago.
Never works in the long run...
Always need to change stuff or do another one etc.

Those bottle jack type benders say they can do up to 2 inch.
And it will be thin wall stuff.

You would probably have to build a jig for the bender or at least bolt two plates on the sides of the pipe at the bend. That would help keep the sides of the pipe from bulging outwards. If you are understanding what I'm saying. Keep the pipe from going flat. Then again you could always just build a plate jig and heat the pipe without a bender at all.

You would probably have to build a jig for the bender or at least bolt two plates on the sides of the pipe at the bend. That would help keep the sides of the pipe from bulging outwards. If you are understanding what I'm saying. Keep the pipe from going flat. Then again you could always just build a plate jig and heat the pipe without a bender at all.

I'll probably end up doing all of the above

:grin:

But most likely start off with a bender like the one I linked to at the start of the thread, same as Luke's, and go from there.

"Can't be done" doesn't fly in my shed:bigboss:

Latest posts

Back