Tumbles you've taken on a bicycle?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was riding our mountain bikes with a friend today and we had just climbed a steep hill. We were on our way down it now and my friend tried to get around me so he can lead to the left, but accidentally cut me off and the front of my tire clipped his rear causing my front wheel to stop and I got launched over the handlebars and into the road.

I hit my knee real hard against the ground and it dragged against the rough road. My ankle and shin also dragged on the ground too and I broke my fall with the palm of my hand which had a nice chunk of skin taken off and then fell onto my shoulder and luckily not my head.

So, assuming that most likely everyone has fallen off their bike at some point, I was wondering about other people's experiences as well.

I had a similar experience as a kid when my friends rear wheel clipped my front tire, launching me over the handlebars. luckily my front tooth broke my fall an saved me from a horribly disfiguring face-plant on the hot summer asphalt. :| Now I have a porcelain cap over my busted tooth as a constant reminder of that frightful day ...innocence lost....youth stolen...regrets..... :mrgreen:

back when I was a kid (29yrs old :oops: ) i was in my semi-mains at a BMX national in Reno NV. they were taking 3 to the next round, and i was in 4th, but closing fast...... there was a triple leading into the rythm section, and i could have sworn i had the speed..... ended up clipping the last jump in the triple with my front tire and pile driving my head into the next jump :oops: i think i hit that jump face so hard, i moved it back 3 feet! came out of it with 2hours of amneshia (after i woke up...) and a broken wrist. what a crazy way to start the new year. it was the 1st weekend of Jan 2000

Broke my left arm twice while riding a bicycle. Broke my elbow when I was six years old and fell off a 26". In my late twenties, I pretzeled a nearly new Raliegh Record going too fast during a MD family fun ride trying to avoid some kids sitting in the middle of the street. Hit a clump of asphalt on the edge of the street and my arm hit a tree. Destroyed the front wheel, fork, and bent the frame. Had a compound fracture to my wrist.

I've healed up or been patched from all my MTB injuries except my shoulders.. they are jacked from too many endo's... my knees got jacked from skating.. :roll:

I crashed in a bike race once and landed on my girl's blanket that she was sitting on to watch the race. That worked out pretty well. I just looked up (all bloody) and said "hi honey".

Worst one I had I was 13, got caught in the rain riding home, brakes were wet, couldn't stop, and I ran a stop sign and my 10 speed, got clobbered by a Dodge Intrepid. Broke my left wrist and had a little road rash but I was asking the paramedics "Is the bike okay?" :lol: .......tacoed the front wheel, bent the fork, broke half the handlebar off, other than that it was fine, I was out the next week cast and all trying to piece it back together, some people from my church felt sorry for me and got together and got me a new 21 speed mountain bike. :mrgreen:

20+ broken bones from riding bikes. Worst was a small downhill race in Hollister, CA in '97 (january 10th to be precise). Taco'd front wheel early on in the run, then got a root through the wheel in a fast part of the course. Went over bars, broke wrist on impact and ripped my pants. Skinned my right hip to the bone needing 30 stitches (no skin graft) and had gangrene set in before the surgeon was available necessitating some more skin to be removed. Smelly.

One time I was going to take some movies back to the movie rental place going behind a few other stores to get there speeding and forgot about the speed bumps and then launched a few feet from my bike but lucky that I got away with to a big painful dip in my skin from my left knee from a nice size rock and a few scratches on my palms, still see a little bit of it in the form of the new skin that formed.

I guess my funniest moment would have to be when I was riding through a trail and a goddess sporting a pair of honey dews that I couldn't keep my eyes off of :shock: passed by...long story short, I crashed into a bush and rolled down the hill.

I was a wild eyed kid and a BMX racer. There aren't enough pages on the internet to list them all.

I can say this:
It's amazing that I am still alive and walking. Mostly just several broken ribs (including sternum), broken foot and lacerations.

This doesn't include my motorcycle accidents.

When I was about 7 I had crashed on my bike and the brake lever sliced through my jeans and into my skin. I think I may still have the scar (from 10+ years ago).

In the summer of 2007 I was weaving in and out of the lane and slipped on a super small layer of animal guts that was barely noticeable. I was going downhill and was cruising pretty fast before I crashed. Now my knees look all messed up; they're all scared.

I messed up my arm too during that incident too but showing you a picture of that would be too much. Also, I cropped out the other knee in order to censor it and keep it clean... that is if isn't already. :lol:

*Pic removed by own judgment -- PM me if you really want to see it* :wink:

Sometimes the made up games are better than real games with real rules. Some friends of mine and I made up this game involving a bike going down the street and a Big Wheel going across the street. I guess the object of the game was to get across the street on the Big Wheel before getting run over by the kid on the bike who was coming down the street. The loosely written rule was that the guy on the bike had to stay on the painted center line as he came roaring down the road at the same time the other kid on the Big Wheel had to pedal like mad to get across the same street, from gully to gully before being hit by the kid on the bike. We'd scream "go" and both would start pedaling from a dead stop - kid on bike hauling butt down the center line of street - kid on Big Wheel trying to just get across the same street before getting run over.

Man, I remember it like it was yesterday, although it was probably 1972. The Big Wheel was so light up front that the hollow plastic wheel would spin a few times in place before getting some traction and start to move. Long story short, when I, the fat kid, had my turn on the Big Wheel, and had to try to get across the street before being T-boned by the beach cruiser, I pedaled like mad and concentrated solely on getting the back wheels of the Big Wheel beyond the far side of that painted center line. Man, I'd swear I made it but I got completely run over by that bike! I got really tore up and the kid on the bike wrecked too but I definitely took the brunt of it. I got rubber burn and greasy bloody chain marks on my right side and back and cried like crazy for a few minutes while my friends rolled in the yard doubled up with laughter!

But that's not the end of it! After recovering from the trauma of literally being run over I had my chance at revenge! To this day I'd swear I had made it across the center line and that the kid swerved off center to hit me. He denied it but I think he did. So, now it was my turn on the bike and his turn on the Big Wheel! Well you can probably guess exactly what happened! That kid was well beyond the center line and in the safety zone but I didn't care! I veered hard right and nailed him right in the side! But as inertia would have it, I flew over the handlebars, did my best chunky Superman impression, landed arms outstretched, and broke my wrist!

That wasn't my worst wreck but by far the one I remember the most and the hardest to explain to my mom when I limped into the house bawling with the road rash of both events plus a self inflicted broken wrist!

i flipped over my handlebars and got roadrash on my back going full force down my hill on my stupid fixie (sold shortly afterward to a happy hipster) its cause i used the front brake to 'slow down' was a little better at braking than i thought :oops:

I flipped over my handlebars, Broken tooth, asphalt and stitches in the face, torn up knuckles. Skimmed the start of the side walk and went over. That happened like 35 years ago and still remember it all.

I have had many, many brutal wrecks... never broken a bone or gotten a stitch (knock on wood) The one I remember most was riding with some friends down a very short dirt path that eventually became a road. The trail was well packed and downhill. I had never seen the trail before I just blindly followed my friends. They were ahead of me by a lot and disappeared over a hill. I thought it was a hill anyway... Turns out it was a 6 foot drop almost straight down. My friends had braked near the top before going down the other side. Not me I launched my little BMX off the top of this thing and came down hard. I ended up bending the front rim, shredding the splines holding the handle bars, destroying the plastic seat and knocking myself out cold. When I came to (no idea how long) my "friends" were long gone. I limped my bike home very tired and dizzy. Only minor scrapes and bruises but my head hurt bad. It took my dad awhile to fix my bike. He wasn't happy that I didn't take better care of it. The bike was never the same after that. :cry:

I was about 4 and thought I would pull a stunt :) (VERY STUPID IDEA) Anyway, I pulled a wheelie and tried to spin the handle bars :roll: The handlebars jabbed into my stomach, had major bleeding, and my face got all scratched up. Still have the humongous scar on my stomach :wink:

washed out at the skatepark about 2 years ago. ive got to get the 7 screws and plate out this winter because they are backing out.
leg.jpg

Latest posts

Back