Turing packs its bags

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been some weeks since I finished the Ten Turing build, where I turned the remains of a scrappy farmer's bike into something that looked like it had a kind of racing pedigree. The last time it was on here it looked like this:

AM-JKLWrzW9lblhDgLpqzpGprHMvG_cY7pzX_7QqPVcZ5F_Uq_FbrkTQvuTCUVq1POZObT2OnHtYPhrq0P58U9StpwHDxdG3AY4raHwNtjahbxi79p12Xln82QMP_RWjRNzn91RjoZ61JsiW0eNHfcY1Ton_Jw=w1107-h919-no

It is no longer kept in the sticks, because by removing the front wheel it fitted snugly in the back of my Toyota Yaris, which allowed me to transport it to its permanent home in my garage in the city. The only other bike I have is one I intend to sell in the spring, and so I need a bike that I can ride through the winter and allow me to do some shopping without having to go through the hassle of driving and parking my car.

The first task was to sort out some baskets and a rack. I already had a front rack that I bought last year for one of my Jubilat folders, which I have since worked on and given to a friend. I bought a rear basket of a similar type from our local cash and carry, and then repaired and painted the rack that came with the Amsterdam bike I found beside our dumpster.

I flipped the Amsterdam bars back, fitted a SRAM gear change to drive the Fichtel and Sachs hub, also off the Amsterdam, as well as its bell.

AM-JKLW_T2BEv-BMDVrOPApj8QcOUENSlg9-YSvUfWWrZ_ztFPWOtD4OKZd-qLN51AJMBmwcrSd92unLK4LN_sSVBOfatxfBPx6PDuXFzUP_sAU5eQm8eFcVJkQMuw7FIG6tJ66bbWbo44xk4KCaf_25TfmLHg=w938-h955-no

I really need to find a trigger-type gear changer as the current one does not really fit and wants the cable to go through the air space belonging to the front basket. Once I do that I can fit a matching set of grips.

I am also going to fit a front brake, always useful with full baskets in traffic, but I forgot I had borrowed the cable adjuster for Ten Turing's wiring system. At the moment the brake lever, from my Zenit, is on the left - but once I sort out a trigger gear changer it can move over that side and the bell can be repositioned as well.

AM-JKLWxYOsayF_ae0Ib0WTJXxZeER3RynQqaU5fC5PQUtv6_O_kFaghLR7sF7gC1EZCk60iFEYKH1YD7WgNqJ_JFm96Ri_iYhb8Xs3iNh9MW0sURCP0P64v0aKFEppGgTIYNxHDrH0vMWSztRd-qyCTJpScKg=w948-h955-no

Overall the parts from the Amsterdam and Kross bikes have certainly given the Turing something it needed.

It is a nice ride, and if you ever thought that this style of frame was only for women then you have never been a farmer going to market on a bicycle. The Turing and the step through folders far outsold any other model Romet produced, bought by men and women equally.

Going forwards I need some appropriate lights, I am thinking of upgrading the BB and also changing the gearing to make climbing hills with a full load a bit easier.

As the weather was nice on saturday morning, and I had nothing in particular to do while wifie was giving in-class lessons to her post-grads, I decided to give Turing its longest ride yet. To start I loaded my toolbox and the rear rack off my current build off bike, and rode them down to my car.

AM-JKLXVZ6yLSch55a1JnKYB-sWA7-RWuaAgsncFU2RvZpF-z8Ak31DBgkOrPaPM0aq9AXSMvFebMbDB1ic_gOBgDMJ-FH-YYfE5ZqDT5D_xQak3txyVbqEPu9GhwRQSjJqT2kfHXZ_O3JPmSbPNV5zKb7X-Xw=w1136-h956-no

With the 'work' out of the way I headed out to check the local dumpsters. It has a good upright position, and I am becoming more comfortable with the narrow bars. I learned one thing though, and that is the classic grip on the left, which came with the handlebars, will not be remaining. Once I get the trigger gear lever I will be in the market for a new set of grips. Funnily enough, the grip on the right, which I took off a kids 12" wheel bike is both more comfortable and you don't get the feeling that your hand is going to slip forward.

I have selected three kickstands from my collection at the farm, and have brought them to the city to see which is the best fit for the bike.

AM-JKLVyd8x0fgW8MzaYfEfE5Iq2omxPMUnQdIGV6-L8l5JlmmW6KIZ4WXSqMyv4zCw_HBC6L8KE93Y6k-gU5_bAXclerepEiMZmZt_kzq5X4D6ZxWKK2rbmSBfVQw1ROHUQAFhOtNvJ_55IkOTG83khtaH3tQ=w1108-h955-no

I think the steel one is the one that came with the bike, and may be the only one with enough reach - while the others probably came off 24" wheeled bikes. I prefer the look of the aluminium ones, but I need to see how they look and work on the bike.

After fiddling around with most of my other bikes here, mostly minor fixes, I got around the fixing the side stand.

As I thought, the aluminium ones were a bit too short, so the steel one won the day. I am not really fond of side stands, or fenders come to that, but I know that they are appropriate here.

I took it out for a ride, and it always gets attention and puts a smile on my face. I just wish I would not keep forgetting the padlock when I am at the farm!

AM-JKLXe4OhU3HHCeT1K66zJ2npofyfGaa7hjaLha5pf47lhowO1VX2nv88sEBVbKAHTygU2u40hyxrbGcs6zFmBMzB5-Z3rD-RE-PccnMAkqEs7TKHyA83o6ikeMd8dCmRpI4Rj6Htr-yrPCWGqe1OlgSe2oQ=w1291-h955-no

OK, so Turing was built in 1996, but it is not the only Romet I have here from the same year. Below is my most original and complete Romet Jubilat, complete with aluminium fenders, aluminium cased dynamo and that other thing I usually remove - the chain guard. It also has the same style of side stand as Turing.

AM-JKLVQqDen6csaZD0BPrwQbqg4TPbq8kBIzJUodqEOy_iYUehkEIinx_IFvwvLn5SczKQQfr6WQHtCCo7Z-zeNUz8PpRoWSXi0pIob5IsLc0RmHrd-Vbaz9bjK9wM_5A81b0wxSndaeauh8rMSApzURuzdew=w1246-h955-no

x

Latest posts

Back