Tweaker's Rehab - Continued

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This all started as a redo of a previous redo as part of RRBO16. Didn't make that deadline but you can see the earlier posts and build progress here. Time totally got away from me in trying to keep up on the build off, other's builds and, posting on my own build. Anyway, this is a bit of a lightening round catchup to where it sits to date and a continuation of the build.

Fork Leg Ends

Last update was the start of the fork legs. This is the start of the leg ends that will connect to the front rockers. Started with a quick template.

01_template.jpg

Improvised a metal brake with clamps. Took a few attempts to eventually get the bend I wanted.
02_improvisedBrake01.jpg

03_improvisedBrake02.jpg

04_bentBlanks.jpg

Shaped ends and stiffener pieces.
05_legShoesWithStiffeners.jpg

Clamped for weld up.
06_clamp4weld.jpg

Initial weld, shaping, additional weld and shape.
07_weldup.jpg

08_firstPassShape.jpg

09_additionalShaping.jpg

Springer Legs

To taper these I cut the tubing lengthwise on only one side. The tubes curved because of heat when welded. After cleaning up the welds I was able to re-straighten the legs by running them through the tubing bender.

01_initialCutSqueeze.jpg

02_ends.jpg

03_ends4weld.jpg

04_endsWelded.jpg

05_weldWarp.jpg

06_cleanupStraighten.jpg

Springer Leg Bridge

Really wish the first welds on this looked as good as the later ones. Took a few attempts to dial the settings in.

01_bridgePieces.jpg

02_bridgeWeldup.jpg

This is the first of two cut/plug welds at the top of the springer legs. This was to reduce the ID to eventually fit a 3/8" bolt.
03_springLegCutExtend.jpg

04_springLegPlugWelds.jpg

05_bridgeWeld2legs01.jpg

06_bridgeWeld2legs02.jpg

07_lowerSpringPerch.jpg

Six Months Later...

Guess it's actually a little over six! A bit of irony I suppose that a build named "Tweaker's Rehab" would be nearly worked to death from endless tweaking. Opportunities to move things along, document, and post progress have been few and far between. Didn't want to totally abandon this build thread though so, here's another belated lightning round of updates.

Latest posts

Back