Tweaker's Rehab

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone for the feed back, it helps a lot. @GeePig you've got a good point. A little ahead of the next post but here's a mockup overview of the front fork. For bars I'm thinking something narrow that will curve forward from the tops of the fork legs and then out. Probably not enough for a final call on the seat but maybe this gives a little idea of the direction I'm heading.

01_forkMockupOverview.jpg

Fork Legs and Springs

Sounds like something from off the grill?

So way back in my fine art days I remember a story about how Matisse hated to have Picasso visit his studio because Picasso would always steal Matisse's ideas. Don't know if it was just a myth or was based in truth. I've always accepted it as at least likely and... well who am I to question a working method of Picasso's? I'm definitely "borrowing" a few ideas for this front fork design. @NIMAL PATRICK showed some fabrication on the fork legs for his build here. Gave them a really beautiful taper. Thought something similar would help the look of my design (L'imitation est la plus sincère des flatteries. Oui?). I'm also referencing information that's out there on John Brain's springer forks (couldn't find a good link but images are online).

Here's how I cut and tapered my fork legs. Started by marking centerlines along one inch tubing with a file. I then laid out cut lines with tape, cut, clamped the sides together and tacked them up.

01_forkLegsCenterMark.jpg

02_forkLegsTapeGuides.jpg

03_forkLegsSlicesCut.jpg

04_forkLegsEndCompare.jpg

Side view with tapered fork legs.
05_forkLegsSideView.jpg

Mocking up general spring location.
06_springMockup.jpg

07_springMockup.jpg

Some chicken scratches of the sprung fork crown and spring perch.
08_crownPerchScratches.jpg

Latest posts

Back