Tweaker's Rehab

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tacking up the Frame Center Section

This is the second build that I've used this fixture on.
08_framecenter.jpg

Awesome tool, a laser helps too. The main backbone tube on this build has a very hard to find center. Image on the left shows the misalignment of the initial tack that I had of the head tube/backbone. I cut that loose, re-aligned and tacked everything into place.
09_framecenter.jpg

10_framecenter.jpg

11_framecenter.jpg

12_framecenter.jpg

13_framecenter.jpg

14_framecenter.jpg

15_framecenter.jpg

Sad I haven't caught your builds before!
This is going to be cool.
It's def worth a look back, @mikeeebikey
You should be able to put TJ's username in the search bar and see some of his former work.

Non-Drive Side Extension

When I welded the one side of the non-drive extension on I must have accidentally hit the settings, or something. Not really sure. In grinding down the inside weld there were voids where the two pieces met. I ended up using a cutting wheel to cut into the weld, re-welded the section and re-ground the welds down with much better results.

01_firstWeld.jpg

02_firstWeldAfterGrind.jpg

03_groove.jpg

04_finalWeld.jpg

05_finalWeldGrind.jpg

Bottom Stays

More modifications to the rear triangle. I had a five speed derailleur on Tweaker that cleared these but, with the angle change (and a slightly wider hub) I wanted to make sure I had room. The new stay legs come courtesy of some old handlebars.

01_bottomStayTubes.jpg

02_origStays.jpg

03_newStays.jpg

04_sideview.jpg

it's amazing the level of detail you have covered in just two pages!!!! Thanks for sharing your idea around the solid rod design tester. That's a great idea. Love seeing your work details man.

Those Suntour GT Series derailleurs are solid gear. I always save them for later use when stripping basket case frames. Also, great choice on the rear hub too.

Thanks. I can remember fifteen years or so ago seems you could find that kind of gear at the curb every garbage day. Me and that specific derailleur have a history. It first served duty on the overweight contraption below. Man, I have cut up and repurposed parts from some really nice bikes in the past thinking I could always grab another at the curb!

dogsled.jpg

Seat Base Loop

In the past I've always had tubing deform too much at the point where the die presses against the tube in a pipe bender. This time around I tried stepping down in die size gradually after filling the tube with sand. Didn't create a smooth circular bend but I liked the curve that I did get. Hopefully I'll be able to duplicate something similar when I bend the sissy bar pieces.

01_bending01.jpg

02_bending02.jpg

03_closeUp.jpg

04_rearQTR.jpg

05_frntQTR.jpg

"This Indecision Bugging Me..."

"...Esta indecisión me molesta". I've been struggling with the design of this and feel like I've been stuck in a Clash song on infinite repeat. The first pass (and multiple variations) just weren't cutting it. I think I've at least determined that the whole fender and seat needed to be rotated forward to shorten the overall fender some. Confident enough anyway to start to weld up the base and get the sissy bar pieces bent.

Sketching out the fender side.
01_fenderSeat.jpg

First cut.
02_fenderSeat.jpg

Seat profile added.
03_fenderSeat.jpg

Just didn't look right to me so I shortened up the length by rotating the seat base and tried offsetting the fender opening. The idea was to try and give it a more aggressive forward motion, something less static looking.
04_fenderSeat.jpg

Threw on the tubing I'll use for the front forks. Wanted to see if things were visually balancing overall or if the rear end was getting too heavy. I left them long for now. I think the fender/seat might work.
05_fenderSeat.jpg

06_fenderSeat.jpg

07_fenderSeat.jpg

Finalizing the Seat Base

The tubing that makes up the perimeter of the seat base was just loosely taped together. I made a paper template, tracing one side, folding it in half, and mirroring the traced side. I then transferred that template to 20ga sheet metal, trimmed and bent that to match. The finished sheet metal then became a guide to make sure the tubing matched side to side when I tacked it all together.

01_paperTemplate01.jpg

02_paperTemplate02.jpg

03_piecesParts.jpg

04_tacked.jpg

Clamping and tacking the seat base top.
05_tackTop.jpg

In position.
06_preWidthReduce.jpg

At this point, especially from the front three quarter view, the front of the seat looked far too wide to me. Guess I was a little too overconfident when I made all those tack welds! I ended up cutting the tack welds from about the front half of the base and adjusted the width.
07_widthReduced01.jpg

Ahhh... much better.
08_postWidthReduce.jpg

Sissy Bar / Seat Support

Started this out by bending 1/2" tubing to try and closely match the solid bar template I had been using for mock-up.

01_sideBent2template.jpg

Top loop from three sleeved pieces of tubing.
02_topLoop.jpg

The bottom ends of the side pieces were coped and short sections of tubing were cut for attaching the sissy bar to the rear dropouts with 1/4" bolts.
03_piecesParts.jpg

Pieces welded together.
04_weldedUp.jpg

A few overview shots in position.
05_overview01.jpg

06_overview02.jpg

07_overview02.jpg

Sissy Bar Fix

This only hurt when I looked at it! The non-drive side of the sissy bar kicked out further than the drive side. Should have taken a closer look before welding it up solid. Required some cut and re-weld.

During surgery.
01_cutSissyBar.jpg

Before on the left. You can see the difference here, it was worse in person. Final still has an odd little "chink" at the bottom attachment point. Building "character" right?
02_beforeAfter.jpg

03_nonDriveSide.jpg

Latest posts

Back