Twelve Hours of Road America

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I can’t decide on the Ore To Shore mountain bike race or the 12 hour Road America road race on a motor vehicle race track. Both are August 14. I always ride a single speed klunker in the O2S. If I ride Road America I’ll use 4 road bicycles 1930s, 1960s, 1970s and 1990s. I’ve been riding the road bikes, making adjustments and tuning, trying to decide which to bring. The klunker is a wishbone and ready to go. I’m leaning towards the road race. Hard choice, the O2S is my annual fun ride but the road race is sounding pretty good. I remember when there were no local bike races, it’s good that there are so many choices now.

Oh man. I want to do that 12 hr event so bad. Ever since they started talking about it back in 2018 it sounded good. I've logged hundreds if not thousands of laps around RA over the years while motorized and sometimes on pedals when they would have track nights. We also used to hot lap the bikes at night on race weekends thanks to some friendly security guards.

You know you want that turn 14 front straight KOM ;)

Maybe I'll have to put it on my 2022 bucket list and make the pilgrimage back home for it

Oh man. I want to do that 12 hr event so bad. Ever since they started talking about it back in 2018 it sounded good. I've logged hundreds if not thousands of laps around RA over the years while motorized and sometimes on pedals when they would have track nights. We also used to hot lap the bikes at night on race weekends thanks to some friendly security guards.

I’m really leaning towards RA, especially since your above comment that fired me up. I’ll have to try and see how I can switch the timing chip between my bikes.

I'd choose the O2S race, preference towards changing scenery and terrain vs flat boring monotony lap after lap. Have you heard the guy in my head? I couldn't be alone with him for that many hours, he's a little kooky
RA is the toughest track on brakes in the USA, it eats brakes. its very scenic and has some climbs and descents. After 20 miles the guy in my head passes out and I don’t know where I am or what I am. it really doesn’t matter which I ride as I won’t remember enough to be bored. I go into coma meditation mode, only to be occasionally aroused by pain.

WOW!!! That's FREAKIN AMAZING!! I live 9 miles from the track and never even knew about the nite races. Something i should check out... Thanks and RideOn... Razin...

Words are tricky. Somehow I missed that it was on Road America. I retract my comment regarding the boring. I thought it was on an oval. That's a big difference!
On........4 miles of black lightning. Such a fun and demanding track. Great mixture of high and mid speed stuff. Watch the marbles. Killer gravel traps. And the way the Indy cars leave the pavement wrinkled as they exit turn 14 is crazy

On........4 miles of black lightning. Such a fun and demanding track. Great mixture of high and mid speed stuff. Watch the marbles. Killer gravel traps. And the way the Indy cars leave the pavement wrinkled as they exit turn 14 is crazy
At the June Sprints years ago I saw Mustang that was so highly modified that it didn’t resemble a Mustang. It had a Rouch NASCAR mill and topped 200 mph in the rain. That’s 20 mph faster than the heavy NASCAR vehicles do in the dry. We were impressed.

At the June Sprints years ago I saw Mustang that was so highly modified that it didn’t resemble a Mustang. It had a Rouch NASCAR mill and topped 200 mph in the rain. That’s 20 mph faster than the heavy NASCAR vehicles do in the dry. We were impressed.
I had the pleasure of riding an ex Nicky Hayden GSXR from his Hyper cycle days and only clocked 157. Mostly because I didn't want to twist it any harder

Plenty fast for me compared to my usual 120 on my lightweight GP bike

The most fun around that place has been in some cars though. Rare Dodge Viper "double bubble", Lingenfelter Corvette, widebody RX7 with a turbo LS swap

I had the pleasure of riding an ex Nicky Hayden GSXR from his Hyper cycle days and only clocked 157. Mostly because I didn't want to twist it any harder

The most fun around that place has been in some cars though. Rare Dodge Viper "double bubble", Lingenfelter Corvette, widebody RX7 with a turbo LS swap
Would love to do the ROAD in a Shelby Cobra or a Ford Gt40 would be a real BLAST FROM THE PAST...

Would love to do the ROAD in a Shelby Cobra or a Ford Gt40 would be a real BLAST FROM THE PAST...
A friend of mine was killed in the 60s in a 427 Cobra. That car was too wicked to drive. It was OK if you idled around in it but as soon as you gassed it a little it broke loose. Another good buddy built a replica. He made his own frame because it was so expensive to build. Two hundred for a gas cap, $1500 per original mag wheel. That was 1980s prices. He bought parts a little at a time. He let someone race it and the 427 didn’t have a dry sump so the engine blew on a corner, a rod went through block. He fixed it and recently sold it.

Yeah, the
A friend of mine was killed in the 60s in a 427 Cobra. That car was too wicked to drive. It was OK if you idled around in it but as soon as you gassed it a little it broke loose. Another good buddy built a replica. He made his own frame because it was so expensive to build. Two hundred for a gas cap, $1500 per original mag wheel. That was 1980s prices. He bought parts a little at a time. He let someone race it and the 427 didn’t have a dry sump so the engine blew on a corner, a rod went through block. He fixed it and recently sold it.
427 Fords were a pretty good motor if they had a good oiling system, but they were known for poor oiling in the bottom end. Sorry about your friend... Thanks for sharing... Razin...

This reminds me of the one and only time I had my 1966 Triumph Bonnieville wound out to 120 mph. That was the advertised top speed, and maybe it would eventually reach that on the flats but I doubt it. I did it downhill t night. The front end was lifting and the front wheel was dancing side to side a little. Once I hit 120 I backed off. This is tied for the most dangerous and frightening thing I ever did. You can have your 120 mph motorcycle rides.

Yeah, the

427 Fords were a pretty good motor if they had a good oiling system, but they were known for poor oiling in the bottom end.
There's nothing wrong with FE oiling systems. If you read the build ups from the best FE builders out there, oil system modifications are next to nil up to 500hp builds.

I did my highest speed on a motorcycle by accident. I was used to my sedate little 13 HP Rebel. Borrowed a buddy's 81 Goldwing. He had stripped it nekkid, inverted forks, big slicks, custom engine, full blown street bike conversion. And, unbeknownst to me, a MPH speedometer. We took to the backroads in the middle of the night, me giving a few little twists of the throttle, delicately, of course. The whole time, buddy on my Reb keeps getting smaller and smaller in the mirror. Eventually I pull over and let him catch up a bit to chide him for going so slow, he's barely touched the speed limit!
"Uh no, Matti, you were FLYING back there!"
He was max throttle, and couldn't keep up! I'd had it cranked up to over 110 mph, but it is was so solid if a bike, it only felt like about the kph equivalent, 60ish mph!

@us56456712

Did you decide to do this event? Rumor has it from some people that work up that way that some of the YouTube heavy hitters are coming. For sure Vegan Cyclist and possibly Phil Gaimon. Also a possibility you'll see some other sports greats that cycle a ton. Brett Favre was mentioned

Latest posts

Back