#TWENTY2...slideshow/ video added watch all the way!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#22...back from vacation, so back to work!

Working on the tank, dimension and placement wise. Like my dad always told me "measure 20 times, cut once".
62d018bc-3c72-aac7.jpg

Oh yeah...USPS brought some goodies in the mail as well, WOOHOO!!!
62d018bc-3cb6-80ec.jpg

62d018bc-3ccd-dbde.jpg

Time for me to "GTB"!

#TWENTY2...7/12. Headlight is coming along!

Bought a 4 dorrah 80 lumen LED flashlight at home depot last night, and started messing around with it for my headlight!
6b017821-5ae8-1d13.jpg

6b017821-5af8-04bb.jpg

And WOW, it's bright!!!

6b017821-5b20-33c3.jpg

Now I'm just waiting on the mounting ears...

This is one of the most awe inspiring bikes I have ever seen, and I'd be lying if I didn't get mor than just one or two ideas from Jim's builds (being that he's just up the road in Jackson and used to come bend my ear at the motorcycle shop I used to work at)...

6b017821-8d74-c271.jpg

6b017821-8d7f-1fd8.jpg

Just needed to refresh the inspiration on the home stretch...

Got the headlight somewhat mounted up, I think it turned out pretty good! A little work on the ears, clean up the back bucket on the light, and I should be able to chalk this part on the "done" list...
62d018bc-2886-6259.jpg

And if any of y'all were wondering what all the motorcycles were in the background, my pops is into CX/GL Hondas. This is a 78 CX500D

62d018bc-28fd-0126.jpg

Re: #TWENTY2...7/12. Headlight is coming along!

Nice big light!

So with today being my day off, I got to cutting the headlight brackets. The headlight sat out way too far for my liking, so I took about an inch off of the ends, radiused, primed, and painted them black to match the front end.

62d018bc-9216-b022.jpg

62d018bc-9235-4328.jpg

While I had it all apart, I went ahead and cleaned up the on/off switch, cleaned up the casing, and gave it a fresh coat of black paint.

62d018bc-92b1-f402.jpg

62d018bc-92c8-3b23.jpg

And here's what it looks like assembled...have to wait for the wife's eye to center it, though.
62d018bc-9302-dd96.jpg

62d018bc-9311-dbaf.jpg

And then the postman came, bearing gifts for me today!
62d018bc-933a-e9f5.jpg

Had to make sure everyone knew who's butt they were looking at when they're behind me!

Re: #TWENTY2...7/12. Headlight is coming along!

Nice job on the light and tag!

@Kingfish...Thank you, kind sir!

I got a wild hair in my butt, and really made some headway on my "tank" idea. I've had the general *idea* of what I wanted to do...but was a little lost on how to execute it. I was at the good old craft store with my wife and one of my daughters and happened to wander into the floral department...lo and behold I found what I was looking for!

62d018bc-edf2-ef18.jpg

Yep...dry floral styrofoam...easy-ish to work with, and I could build my tank in 3 dimensions to see where I wanted each line!
Laid out the basic line with the cardboard template I already had...because I really LIKED the silhouette that it had.
62d018bc-ee5b-4c6e.jpg

Here's the rough cut

62d018bc-eed3-7957.jpg

Fitted in the frame rails and painted with a guide coat so I can see how much I'm "sanding" off...

62d018bc-eefb-c6b2.jpg

Shaping the leading edges...trying to get the proportions JUST right.

62d018bc-ef79-0ddf.jpg

I think the shape compliments the whole look of the bike pretty nicely.

62d018bc-efba-380d.jpg

Now I just have finish fabing it up in metal!

Re: #TWENTY2, headlight is DONE...now it's time to get TANKED!!

Ron, great job on the light and the tag is a nice touch. Nothing like personalizing! Looking forward to the tank outcome.

Missed ya at Suzies...

#TWENTY2, headlight is DONE...now it's time to get TANKED!!

Hey Justin...yeah, Emily and I were gonna come, but my hip was killing me. So much in fact that is was radiating all the way down into my knee. I guess that's what happens when you break your pelvis in 7 places!

justride said:
That light is sweet! Great find for a great build. Keep it up!

JA

Thanks, just ride, and Justin too! Lackluster is one of my Favorites this year..pics do it pretty decent justice, but seeing her in person is whole other story!

I was goofing around on my iPad with an app called stumbleupon, and this page popped up, LOL.

62d018bc-03c1-ce9b.jpg

Templates made for the final cuts...so close!

62d018bc-3737-7ffb.jpg

Cool tank work!!
Glad I am not the only one up late!

Scored some British goodness this weekend!
c6e4d89d-2143-4c65.jpg

c6e4d89d-216e-4c80.jpg

Sweet saddle.
Tick Tock Tick Tock

Can't wait to see the finished tank, and I really like the light!

Is the plate that flat plastic one I found on Ebay that looks like it's ebossed? Hard to tell in the picture.

Hey mike. The plate is actually aluminum, it's not embossed, but it looks like it is...I'll send you the link to where I ordered it via email

Pops and I started cutting on my tank pieces to get them put together tomorrow...but I buggered up one of the side pieces! Thank goodness I have enough material to build a couple extras iffin this one turns out okay.

Then went down and took a couple of "glamour shots" to see if I like the locale...they turned out pretty darn good, looks like I'll just eek in under the line.

62d018bc-81d5-5401.jpg

Latest posts

Back