Twice Round the Bend

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My goal is to build something cool out of this old Elgin.
DSCN1906 (2).JPG

Oh yeah!!! Can't go wrong with a twin bar!!!

Okay, time to get started. Last year I attempted to build this project in the build-off, but ran in to problems making decisions about which direction to go with the build. I am starting with a complete, all original prewar Elgin Twin 20. I was very fortunate to find this cool bike. I have all of the original and unique parts (minus tires, pedals, and grips). The original (and very rare) green finish has patinated beautifully. While this is a perfect candidate for a restoration, for now, I would rather make a cool cruiser out of it. But this is what it would have looked like when new. This is the only other green Twin 20 I could find:
green elgin twin bar.gif

I usually only make 2 styles of rat rod builds. The first is a cruiser-style bike using original vintage bikes that I design for pleasure riding. The other is what I call my "FREAK" bikes. They are the wildly designed, almost un-ride-able bikes for which I have become known. While I did try fitting different style modified forks to this Twin 20 frame, that beautiful (but bulky) steering head shroud was not compatible with any type of springer or chopper fork I tried. The forks just wouldn't be able to steer the bike, or the forks wouldn't fit at all. While I still might do a mock-up of a FREAK bike to make the purists cringe, this bike needs to be a cruiser.

Last edited:
My biggest stumbling block last year was mounting a seat and making it functional and cool all at the same time. I was trying to use the original seat because I like to use as many original parts as possible (when I have them). When I was going through my stash of parts, I found a seat that I had forgotten about. It is a high-end (but trashed) tricycle seat from the 1930's. It is small and the patination matches the patina on the frame nicely. I really like how this looks on the bike. It lays perfectly on the frame bars. I am going to make a wooden mounting block to attach it to the frame (barn find-style). Problem solved! I wish I would have thought of it last year. My outside-the-box thinking was blocked by the fact that I felt obligated to use the original seat. I will try to not let that happen again. Here is a mock-up of how the seat looks and fits onto the frame:
DSCN1911.JPG
DSCN1908.JPG
DSCN1909.JPG

I have already installed the smaller chainring to make it easier to "cruise". It is a correct '39-'40 Elgin chainring but this is the smaller sized version from a girls bike. I have retained the longer cranks which also makes it easier to pedal. Increased pedaling torque and lower gearing all add up to a pleasurable cruising experience.
DSCN1906 (3).JPG

Last edited:
I would prefer to use the correct style teardrop pedals if I can find an original set.

1651934771011.png

They are cool but I cannot justify the cost (and I don't like the reproductions). So, I will probably use a nice set of original period-correct standard-style pedals. I like to use he smaller pedals from a girls bike to increase the lean angle abilities of the bike. Every little functional detail adds up to a bike that is fun to ride.

I have been doing some measuring to compare certain dimensions of other period-type frames. When I compared a Monark Silver King Wingbar to a postwar Schwinn frame, the Wingbar was surprisingly 2.5" longer than the Schwinn! But this Twin 20 frame is actually an inch longer than the Wingbar frame, and a whole 3" shorter top-to-bottom (measured from the crank bearing housing to the seat). But that shorter top-to-bottom measurement is mostly due to the complete removal of the original seat bracket and laying the seat directly onto the frame. So all of the other components I use will be chosen to enhance the long, low aesthetics of the Twin 20 frame.

Latest posts

Back