Twice Round the Bend

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 24"x3" wheel/tire combo mocked-up and looking good. Amazingly, those fat tires don't rub anywhere.
DSCN1920.JPG
DSCN1922.JPG
DSCN1921.JPG

I did my initial handlebar mock-up using my favorite '63-4 wide Sting Ray ape hangers. I might try some other types of bars, but for riding, these are the most comfortable for me. I am also using one of the early stems (that sits level, instead of rising up) so the bars aren't too high. I had to buy a reproduction set of white Elgin grips because I couldn't find any good used ones. They are very unique and definitely a must have item for this build. I have had them soaking to "age" them so they match the rest of the bike's patina. With these wide handlebars and pointed grips, the total width is 34"! I was looking back at some of my other "cruiser" builds, and had an idea that a cool set of truss rods might look really good on this bike. The Elgin Twin-Bars never came with truss rods, but I mocked-up a very stylish set of double-curved truss rods from my junk pile, and they really finish off the front of the bike nicely. They give it a cool 30's-style (streamlined) Art Deco look. The vertically-mounted ape hanger bars and the vertical truss rods give it kind of an art deco double-waterfall effect that I really like. I am going to fabricate a bracket to attach the truss rods to the front of the stem, and that same bracket will serve a dual purpose by having the original 6-rib cream headlight bolted to the top of it. Still in mock-up stage, but the "look" is coming together nicely.
DSCN1923 (2).JPG
DSCN1924 (2).JPG
DSCN1925 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Very cool. I would love to see a set of the swept back dyno bars with that frame

Here is the original EA fender headlight in its original cream finish. I plan on mounting it on top of the stem using a custom bracket. I also have a cool original 1934 Nash Flying Mermaid hood mascot. I have been wanting to use it on something cool for many years now. I am not sure if it really fits the theme of this build, but I might do a mock-up with the mermaid just to see how it looks on the bike.
DSCN1931.JPG
DSCN1932.JPG

I do have a set of those bars, but they are shiny-new and wouldn't fit the patina of the bike. Those type of bars pull back so far that I have had to use a long 5" stem so the grips aren't beside me when I ride. Still might do a mock-up with them to see how they would look on the bike. Thanks for the suggestion.

When I get bored, I like to imagine weird combinations of bike parts mocked-up together. I call them my 10-minute mock-ups. Actually, that's how most of my builds begin. This is a '51 Shelby Flying Cloud 24" frame/tank with early-70's prototype California Chopper Forks (with mini-apes) and 60's Huffy 20" muscle bike wheels. Should I continue?
DSCN1926.JPG
DSCN1927.JPG
DSCN1928.JPG
DSCN1929.JPG

Had an "AHA" moment! I was trying some different ideas and figured out exactly how to finish the bike. I still have to fabricate some brackets to make it all happen. I usually post mock-up pictures, but I'm not going to because my latest mock-up basically looks like the final product.

Looking forward to the result of your mad scientist moment!

That Elgin twin must be one of the worlds most beautiful bicycles.

Just technically curious:
Is that front 'shroud' or headtube made from cast aluminum? If yes, how are the steel tubes attached?

That Elgin twin must be one of the worlds most beautiful bicycles.

Just technically curious:
Is that front 'shroud' or headtube made from cast aluminum? If yes, how are the steel tubes attached?
Hi Bart! I have absolutely fallen in love with this frame design, and I was fortunate enough to find an original, untouched example of the Twin 20 model. The crank shroud is steel, but the steering head shroud is just cheap thin pot metal. It is 3 cast pieces that just bolt to each other over the front part of the frame. The shroud doesn't attach to the frame at all. Therefore, they are always a little loose and typically rattle. These bikes are beautiful examples of the Art Deco styling from the 30's. I am having a lot of fun with this build.

Hi all! Got bored and took a break for a while. The problem was that I knew I would need a better name for the project, but couldn't really think of anything I liked. That kind of stopped my experimental thought process for a while. But I am once again motivated (because I think I have figured out the new name). More on that later. Today, I thought I would try some different ideas. I almost always use springers on my builds, but the large head shroud prevented installing any preferred springers. So, here is my solution. Even though I really love the 24x3 tires, here is the bike with correct '39 painted wheels with a Stewart-Warner Floating hub. These wheels would have been available as an option on this bike originally (which makes it more pure). Well, they definitely changed the proportions a bit, but I'm not quite sure which wheels and tires I like better. The 26" set tones down the high bars a bit, but the 24x3's are just beautiful. A little more pure, or a little more custom???
DSCN1950 (2).JPG
DSCN1951 (2).JPG
DSCN1952 (2).JPG

Last edited:
I like the size of the 24 x 3's, but I like the vintage tone of the 26ers better. And the bigger wheels might make it more ridable.

Not that that has been a concern for you before!

🤣

Latest posts

Back