Twice Round the Bend

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the size of the 24 x 3's, but I like the vintage tone of the 26ers better. And the bigger wheels might make it more ridable.

Not that that has been a concern for you before!

šŸ¤£
This one might actually end up being rideable. But there's still a lot of time left for me to mess that up. I gotta quit listening to Matti. I almost kept it this way:
DSCN1918.JPG

That Elgin's looking pretty good! Personally, I like the 24x3s more than the 26s. Partly just because they look cooler, mostly because I like the color better. If it is possible to go the full "freak" route and make it rideable, I say go for it! I think it's got a really good look, especially with the twin bars of the frame lining up almost perfectly with the support trusses of the fork. Still, if you choose to go with the stock fork and comfortable cruising, I think it'll still be a sweet bike. There's really no wrong way to go about it, I think.

Out of curiosity, do you have any shorter, standard handlebars that you could mount upside down with the stock fork, kind of board track-style? Given the long, low profile of the bike, I'm curious to see what it'd look like with the handlebars down low as well, sort of like what I did on Dumpster Diamond:
BFtD_hawthorne180.jpg

That Elgin's looking pretty good! Personally, I like the 24x3s more than the 26s. Partly just because they look cooler, mostly because I like the color better. If it is possible to go the full "freak" route and make it rideable, I say go for it! I think it's got a really good look, especially with the twin bars of the frame lining up almost perfectly with the support trusses of the fork. Still, if you choose to go with the stock fork and comfortable cruising, I think it'll still be a sweet bike. There's really no wrong way to go about it, I think.

Out of curiosity, do you have any shorter, standard handlebars that you could mount upside down with the stock fork, kind of board track-style? Given the long, low profile of the bike, I'm curious to see what it'd look like with the handlebars down low as well, sort of like what I did on Dumpster Diamond:
View attachment 197634
I have the original bars and stem and some others that I could use to boardtrack the bike, but I cannot ride them that way. I had planned on trying many different components and that was one thing I was definitely going to try. I wanted to do the shorty fenders also, but after studying and test fitting, it would have clashed with the flow of the frame. I didn't want anything inside the loop of the frame to interrupt the flow. Plus I didn't really want to cut the original fenders (but I would if I thought it would look better).

I like the size of the 24 x 3's, but I like the vintage tone of the 26ers better. And the bigger wheels might make it more ridable.

Not that that has been a concern for you before!

šŸ¤£
The only thing I don't like about the 24x3's is, with the high bars, it looks like a BMXer. The 26's look good with the high bars. I might try some boardtrack-type bars. They would probably look really good with the 24x3's.

I think it would be fun to build this style frame from scratch, with steel weldments instead of aluminum.
I like the "two hoop" approach, and I have seen this on bikes both swoopy and square alike.

I think it would be fun to build this style frame from scratch, with steel weldments instead of aluminum.
I like the "two hoop" approach, and I have seen this on bikes both swoopy and square alike.
Got something brewing, no worries.

Edit, I quoted Ulu twice for added importance.

Thanks for your reply earlier @Reallybigtim , I appreciate it

These frames and the joinery are all steel.

We must be looking at different frames, because this thing appears to have a cast aluminum headstock.

No, that is just a headtube shroud.
And the BB cover is also a metal shroud.

Here is an Elgin Twin frame without the shroud...
View attachment 198341View attachment 198342
...I prefer it with the shroud (not mine...I haven't been that lucky yet!).
Yeah, Kingfish built one without the shrouds a year or two ago. He did a nice job with it. To me, those beautiful art deco shrouds make the bike. They make the frame lines flow. The really tricky part would be finding all of the unique hardware, brackets, nuts and bolts. It would be a nightmare trying to piece one together. I was very fortunate to find such a complete, original bike in the exact condition I prefer.
DSCN1789.JPG
DSCN1791.JPG
DSCN1792.JPG
DSCN1799.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back