Twice Round the Bend

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These bikes have very unique fenders. Especially the front fender.
DSCN1967.JPG
DSCN1972.JPG
DSCN1968.JPG
DSCN1970.JPG

So the fork needs to be removed to mount the fender? That is pretty unique
I wanted to do shorty fenders on this build, but these fenders are amazingly mint and I just cannot cut them up. But it's almost impossible to find a junk set (cheap) to use. After mocking up the fenders, I like it better without fenders for this build. The front fender would probably look fine, but the back fender would interrupt the flow of the frame lines. So, the problem solved itself. Still, I would like to find another set to butcher up.

Do they hold the fork together somehow or is it for a trim piece that’s missing? I just didn’t get the purpose of them.

Many of the prewar Elgin models had the special fender over fork configuration. Cool and sleek design.

Here's what it would look like with a shorty rear fender. Pretty cool, eh? But notice how it interrupts the flowing lines of the frame. That's why I like the light colored wheel and tire.......they contrast the frame instead of matching it and interrupting the flow. It's all about the aesthetics, and this bike really deserves my best effort.
DSCN1977.JPG

For comparison:
1656608909517.png

Last edited:
but the back fender would interrupt the flow of the frame lines.

Here's what it would look like with a shorty rear fender. Pretty cool, eh? But notice how it interrupts the flowing lines of the frame. That's why I like the light colored wheel and tire.......they contrast the frame instead of matching it and interrupting the flow. It's all about the aesthetics. View attachment 198518

For comparison: View attachment 198522

I agree completely when it comes to these Elgin Twin Bars. One of the cool elements is the fact that there is no seattube. I've built out a couple of these for RRB BOs and everytime that I mocked up a fender, they looked cool, but at the same time detracted from the flow of these unique frames too much.

I agree completely when it comes to these Elgin Twin Bars. One of the cool elements is the fact that there is no seattube. I've built out a couple of these for RRB BOs and everytime that I mocked up a fender, they looked cool, but at the same time detracted from the flow of these unique frames too much.
Absolutely.
98% of my build is thinking and 2% is building.

So what’s the deal with that front hub? Has that got some kind of a clockspring device?
I have never opened one up, but clockspring is probably a good description of how it functions, but the axle is also slightly offset in the hub.

Latest posts

Back