Twice Round the Bend

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to go dumpster diveing! Those twinnbars are really good rideing bikes for cruisers. Had a Elgin twinn 40 back in the 80s.

Just scored a left side teardrop pedal in perfect patina condition. What do you think the chances are that I can find a matching right side before September 6th?
1656787865249.png

Well, I really wanted to do something to the bike today. So, I went ahead and tried to modify that old bottle opener that I was using to hold the truss rods. I bent the front down and drilled the holes I needed to mount the headlight and the truss rods. But you can already see that it didn't like being bent. Both sides started to crack.
DSCN1982.JPG
DSCN1983.JPG

But I kept going and hoped for the best. I hunted through the junk boxes to get everything to fit together. I was tightening the last bolt and the bottle opener broke apart. But I still took some pictures so everyone could get an idea of the look I was trying to achieve.
DSCN1987.JPG
DSCN1988.JPG
DSCN1989.JPG
DSCN1990.JPG

I wanted the headlight to be about an inch further back, but the bottle opener was too short. I have another bottle opener that is longer but it is made of copper and I will probably end up with the same results. Overall, I am not completely satisfied with this look anyway. Something is missing. Hopefully, I will figure it out.

Well, I really wanted to do something to the bike today. So, I went ahead and tried to modify that old bottle opener that I was using to hold the truss rods. I bent the front down and drilled the holes I needed to mount the headlight and the truss rods. But you can already see that it didn't like being bent. Both sides started to crack.View attachment 198917View attachment 198918
But I kept going and hoped for the best. I hunted through the junk boxes to get everything to fit together. I was tightening the last bolt and the bottle opener broke apart. But I still took some pictures so everyone could get an idea of the look I was trying to achieve. View attachment 198920View attachment 198921View attachment 198922View attachment 198923
I wanted the headlight to be about an inch further back, but the bottle opener was too short. I have another bottle opener that is longer but it is made of copper and I will probably end up with the same results. Overall, I am not completely satisfied with this look anyway. Something is missing. Hopefully, I will figure it out.
Vintage banjo tailpieces frequently break at the 90 like that. Since they are brass they repair and strengthen them by brazing a gusset on the underside.

Last edited:
I found some pictures of the Twin 20 bike from when I bought it. It's most likely a '39 because of the date code on the rear hub. Most of these Twin 20s are very unique because of the amount of options and colors available.

1657036971605.jpeg

Elgin Twin 20 as found 5 (2).JPG

Last edited:
There is a lot of info on these Twin Bars on the CABE. From what I've been told, it's almost impossible to tell which model of Elgin Twin you have since each of the models were simply different bolt on pieces. And you can't really know what pieces yours is missing.

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/twin-formation-elgin-twinbar-details.19808/
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/elgin-twin-bar-count.19712/
Does that mean all of the 20's have been turned into 60's? That's just one of the reasons I don't care for restored bikes, you never know what they really were originally. I am a minimalist builder, so I actually prefer the 20. Then I remove even more parts (fenders, seat bracket, kickstand, etc). Just like the Wingbars, I like that frame to be the key focus of the aesthetics. While, I am surprised that I didn't put a springer on this one; I probably would have if I wouldn't have found that floating hub Elgin wheelset. I think I have decided to stay with those wheels.

Latest posts

Back