La Fugazi

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JA331

Ride it like you stole it.
Pro Member
Reaction score
This is my first build off entry. 17 is a special number for me as my birthday is on the 17th of April, shared with my favourite car the Ford Mustang and the number used on the numerous Fords raced in Australia by my favourite race car driver .... Johnson.

I had planned to use a reproduction luxury liner frame that was in mint condition and a bargain at $25 (not including shipping) but the seller was content to just throw it in a box with minimal packing. Experience and 2 other damaged frames tells me it would never have survived the long journey downunder.

Looking for an alternative frame to build I dug out the remnants of this unique 1998 Trek classic cruiser. I bought this as a complete bike last year. It had been left in the weather, the seat post was stuck, the back wheel was badly buckled, the whitewalls on the tires had been refinished with household oil paint and the chain broke a few minutes in to the first test ride. Fortunately the frame and fork were straight and after a good service and a heap of new parts it was a decent bike again. Over the last 12 months I altered it with different wheel sets, bars, etc but the frame always felt small for me so it was stripped of its good parts for other bikes in my stable.

Regardless of the treatment I inflicted on it, I always liked the design of this frame with its unique oval top tube continuing past the seat tube reminiscent of a heap of vintage Columbias and the straight down tube that bends as it nears the bottom bracket. The frame is beautifully welded, light and responsive to ride. It has the same long head tube as my 1939 Roadmaster Supreme and the arrangement of the 2 top tubes is surprisingly similar too.

I didn't use the original Shockmaster fork and fenders when I built the Roadmaster and the thought crossed my mind to combine them with the Trek. As I expected the fork fitted perfectly. It will be a simple build and I plan to use parts I already have. I would usually paint it myself with VHT spray packs but we're approaching winter in Melbourne so I will most likely get the frame and fork powdercoated. The fenders need a few repairs and I will paint them myself.

I’ve named the build the Twrekmaster. I'm looking forward to sharing the ride through my first build off with you all. Let the fun and pain begin.
9EE141B4-86F8-4984-AAA9-F83CAD203F8B.jpeg

The LL frame I let go.
5E473739-9943-4452-8649-C548514F6865.jpeg

The Trek as I got it last year, its whitewalls repainted with household oil paint.
7B3CBEC5-86FD-47FC-BD86-CB901B1EFF0D.jpeg

The sweet marriage of the Trek frame and prewar Roadmaster Shockmaster.
1CC3FE47-A4EB-4F14-A908-9B7337B88B63.jpeg

The fork and fenders for the build are from this 1939 Roadmaster.

Last edited:
Welcome to your first ever RRB BO @JA331 ! You have the right idea, mix and match parts from various sources, old and new, making a unique and cool ride that you will have fun with and take pride in.

Your first BO, and you've already got the vibe nailed! RaT oN~!

That Trek frame is perfect for a Fauxdmaster build! I had to scroll back and forth to compare it to the white bike. I thought you had already painted the frame.

It was quiet at work today so I took the opportunity to fix something I always disliked about this frame, the seat tube. I pulled out my grinder and sliced 50mm off the top for a more streamlined appearance.
1E23D65F-75FF-4776-92E1-49F75A00170B.jpeg

EC73613F-4ECE-49B8-A1FC-D519E8DEE29B.jpeg

See ya.
48C7CE5F-9FE3-4E48-B7C9-4B8657A955FC.jpeg

I plan to use a traditional seat post clamp so I drilled a hole in the frame prior to cutting the required slot.

6DB57D81-820F-401D-8311-32BBEE3E2ACA.jpeg

607F4882-8FE2-4598-9E09-91B08A1113BB.jpeg

I believe it looks way better now. I’ll have to look for a older style seat clamp rather than the bmx type I fitted for now.

Last edited:
Slammed it together this morning at work. I used a set of wheels from an Electra Karma parts bike with new Tioga powerblock tires. I used a repo Schwinn stem and the bars I pulled from my SE Big Style. The front fender is the correct one for the shockmaster fork so I didn't have to make any modifications other than open up the holes for the front axle. I had to shorten the stays on the rear fender and drill new slots. I still need to remove the dimples in the rear fender before I send it for blasting.

Not decided on the colour for the frame but leaning towards gloss black.
tm1.jpg

tm2.jpg

The viva i picked up yesterday will be donating its pedals and leather saddle. I will need to use adaptors for the pedals as they are 9/16 v the 1/2 threaded cranks.

I took the viva for a short ride today after adjusting the saddle and bar height. It rides and rolls so well, probably due to the quality fat frank rubber. My youngest girl will love this thing in a few years.
94353C67-6689-4C1C-B64A-AC1EA2A44DC4.jpeg

7F0E277C-E92B-4A5D-BA5D-2D39EE77F9D0.jpeg

990C8805-4CA2-4DCB-8F91-ADD5AEEB0FFC.jpeg

Whoa! Nice work on that seat post / clamp mod. Cut to the perfect length. And that seat....wow!

Coming together nicely. RaT oN~!

I thought I would try fitting another chain guard before dropping everything off to the sandblaster so I grabbed the one from the Electra Karma parts bike I pulled the wheels from. All I had to do was make a slot to clear the seat stay. The chainguard also covers the ugly rear mount that was visible with the original one although I may cut the end of chain guard so it finishes in line with the frame. I’m keen to know what others think. On my Electra rat rod the guard finishes after the frame but it tucks in behind the seat stay.

0D138E21-4B17-46C6-90EC-5C8BE2B5B074.jpeg
B286A965-C480-4B60-8662-AA978FDFD47B.jpeg

EABE44B4-8FE7-4D98-9992-9B02B42D0BFF.jpeg

FB48B223-13C6-4D52-BE2D-FC784B974A31.jpeg

I also removed the dimples in the rear fender that were there to clear the narrower chainstay on the roadmaster they came off. I’ll need to use a little filler get them nicer.

53EE08F2-DD19-44FA-BD96-DBD094EAE432.jpeg
DA314396-6033-4EDD-9B04-6598C54E79B6.jpeg

I changed my choice of tires reverting to the aged whitewall tires that were originally from the Electra Karma. They will compliment the black fenders with cream pinstriping better than the black tires. The front wheel has a roller brake which may force the legs on the shockmaster back when braking.

48890432-61D1-43E5-9FE2-E2832149B5E9.jpeg

Last edited:
Not much going on with this build but instead of powder coating it I've decided to paint it Ford dark blue (VHT engine enamel), which is the same colour I used on the bike I built below. I sold that bike to a friend last year and loved that colour. The challenge will be painting it outdoors during winter.
rmc.jpg

Paint can be done in cooler temps, you just need to take some steps. Keep the cans indoors between coats. You can even heat them in warm water if it's really cool outside to keep the paint flowing. If you have enough space, you can spray outside and let it hang to dry/cure inside. I've done it below 10°c, Canadian spring, results were pretty ok, more problems with Matti than anything

Thanks Matti. A mate got me on to warming the cans and it works well. The vht spray packs are top notch.

Still not much going on here as I have been recovering from C19. The kids brought it home from school. The symptoms were reminiscent of a bug I had in January 2020, the worse being the persistent cough. Back then, my doc had no idea what it was and there was no testing for it.

Moving on, I’m doubtful of getting this thing done in time as there will be a fair bit of work required to paint the details I want on the frame and fenders. Winter is upon us downunder and we’re taking off in 3 weeks for a month to visit my outlaws who live on a Greek island. I’m hoping to get it to the sandblaster later in the week and hopefully primed before I leave but that will be dependent on the weather.

Today I tried another chainguard which I may use instead of the heavier looking Electra one. It is from a 60’s Schwinn Corvette. I combined it with a different rear bracket similar to one used in many prewar American bikes. I would prefer to use a Roadmaster guard but this is the only non late model guard I have and I’m trying to use stuff I already have.

56A3A87A-1566-4930-BC31-47D4FAA4B7C0.jpeg

With Corvette guard
F35D0367-B0FD-40CB-AF55-92A381E6A769.jpeg

With Electra guard

Last edited:
Still not much going on here as I have been recovering from C19. The kids brought it home from school. The symptoms were reminiscent of a bug I had in January 2020, the worse being the persistent cough. Back then, my doc had no idea what it was and there was no testing for it.

Moving on, I’m doubtful of getting this thing done in time. Winter is upon us downunder and we’re taking off in 3 weeks for a month to visit my outlaws who live on a Greek island. I’m hoping to get it to the sandblaster later in the week and hopefully primed before I leave but that will be dependent on the weather.

Today I tried another chainguard which I may use instead of the heavier looking Electra one. It is from a 60’s Schwinn Corvette. I combined it with a different rear bracket similar to one used in many prewar American bikes. I would prefer to use a Roadmaster guard but this is the only non late model guard I have and I’m trying to use stuff I already have.

View attachment 195019
With Corvette guard
View attachment 195021
With Electra guard
Get better and just hang in there! it’s a long summer!

My family & I went through it last December. It hits everyone different. I had text-book symptoms (not the most severe, fortunately) for 21 days. The worst days were like, 4, 5 and 6.

I dealt with fatigue and muscle soreness (I‘m super active and a workou-guy) really, for about month after the 21 day symptoms. I would just do a 1/4 mile walk around the neighborhood and it would hit me like a 50 mile summer bike ride!!!

just hang in there and keep pounding vitamin C, D, Zinc and anything else you can get your hands on!!!!

all the best to you and your family as you battle through this!

Thank heaps mate. We are all doing well and I’m feeling pretty good other than the persistent dry cough. I’m sure I also had it at the beginning of the pandemic in January 2020. My outlaws came over for Christmas in 2019 and my father outlaw must have caught it on the flight over. He and I were coughing for at least a month after we were both hit with it.

Its winter in Australia and I’m just looking forward to sitting on a beautiful beach in Greece with the family soon.

all the best to you and your family too.
A5F9EC71-D963-46B3-AFBD-E57A5182CDB9.jpeg

Last edited:
I really like the Electra guard on there.
Hope you're having fun in Greece. You should meet up with @Funkme (an Aussie expat living in Greece).

Latest posts

Back