RRBBO13 Tycoon - Almost finished!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_20180501_132909_512.jpg
1951DXrat.jpg
12829528_1074311059292001_7136558561185882597_o.jpg
(I'll add more pics soon)
This will be a mix of old/new, traditional and modified, classy and trashy. If I do it right, it should turn into something that I want to ride all of the time.

The only thing that I can say for an absolute right now is that it will have a Schwinn frame (or two) at its heart. The plan is to use my '51 DX frame, cut it, and augment/stretch/rake it using bits of a '60s step-thru Varsity. There's a '62 Typhoon twin-straightbar to take its place if that doesn't work out.

I have a few forks available, but it's a girder unit that is my primary choice, followed by a PHAT Cycles triple tree fork if the girder doesn't look right.

Wheels will be 650B/27.5 off of a modern Schwinn Kokomo, but even those have a set of fat 24" polished hoops laced to drum hubs on standby if tall and skinny doesn't look as nice as short and thick.

There already three sets of handlebars staged in the garage, but I may yet order/hack/bend another set or two if I can't get the look right.

If you can remember the College Drop Out from a couple of years ago, just know that I'm attempting to build something better, even though I'm not sure that's possible for me to do.

Last edited:
I was a big fan of College Drop-Out, so I'm on board with this creation. I know you have been itching to get started in this build off, so bring it on!!!

The sketch reminded me of College Dropout. DX version of that should be sweet....twin bar could be cool too but hard to visualize the rake/stretch on that one.

That's a good looking Typhoon. Kinda be a shame to cut it up.

Man, I am jealous of those wheels!
The two frames line up relatively close. Hope you can make them blend together.

Sweet concept!
Subscribed!

If you have to fall back on that typhoon, I have a few Schwinn canti frames is gladly trade you in its place
I have no plans to hack up that Typhoon. In fact, I'm riding it in its current strandie/bomber configuration tonight in downtown Vta. I have marked that frame as a keeper.

Only a little progress made yesterday. Started stripping some paint off the DX frame, and replaced the cap head screw under the front spring with a button head, which made JUUUUUUUUST enough clearance to get the wheel to spin freely. Unless I come up with some really inventive mounting method, a front fender is out of the question. That's a bummer, because I already bought a full set of fenders for it.

Yesterday, my Lord Humongous stem from @rev106 showed up, along with a bunch of reading material that he threw in there. The nickel plate should really complement the few other shiny bits that I have planned, and the 22.2 dia. quill is a perfect fit in the steerer of my girder fork. I'll post pics this weekend, and if I decide to go another direction, this thing is going on my klunker.

Latest posts

Back