Uncle Stretch Colson Clone Build (now named)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awhile back I got one of Uncle Stretch's Colson frames, I now have the parts to assemble this bad boy. It will have semi tricked paint job black with a hint of red.Ape hanger bars, 3 speed nexus hub on black rim and 26"x 3" Kenda Flame on rear and a 26" x 2.125" Kenda Flame on a mt. bike rim that I had painted black also on the front. I had my brother weld me a cut off piece of handle bar onto the frame for the base of a suicide shift. The paint job I will explain a little better once I see that it will actully work :wink: I want to carry the diamond plate theme that is on the sprocket up to a tank plate, but that will be one of the last things I will do. I also have two halogen bullet lights that I will mount on forks.Stay tuned..... 8)
colsonclone001.jpg

colsonclone002.jpg

colsonclone003.jpg

colsonclone004.jpg

colsonclone005.jpg

colsonclone006.jpg

colsonclone007.jpg

colsonclone008.jpg

Re: Uncle Stretch Colson Clone Build (yet to be named)

Ok ,I made my first paint sample on some beater forks for practice. Sub base is black, base is deep red and the top coat is satin black. Outside it doesnt look nearly as red, it is alot more subtle. When you look at it outside it just looks dark and you have to look close to see a pattern. I think I may fog some black over the red before I spray the black topcoat,dunno yet. The second pic is an extreme close up. 8)
colsonclone009.jpg

colsonclone010.jpg

Looks good so far. I can only imagine the paint technique. Its like paint the base red and rap a thousand feet of string around it and then paint the black? Very cool however you did it . :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I think the string technique would have been quicker,lol. I just came in from spraying this frame and of course I couldnt wait to unwrap. It looks way to cool in my humble opinion.Low key but definitely different in a good way. I will let dry over nite and then post some pics. Oh yeah I think I will keep you quessing about the technique until the bike is finished. :mrgreen:
Hey sensor, you are or were a body man right? Any recomendations on a clear coat that dries really hard? I dread the thought of ever having to touch this frame up. :shock: 8)

i dont really know about rattle can clear but if your going to spray id use omni(ppgs cheap line) used it on my wifes bike and it lays down really well but dries hard as a rock(just give it 2-3 days to cure before assembling)

Hey since your using that diamond plate theme ,why dont you call it Tiki Diamond.....ok I missed my nap. :roll:
I will figure out the paint. maybe a big plastic spring ...naw too hard to undo

ahhhhhhhhh i think i got it!
that emery cloth for dry wall(dont know if thats what its really called but you get what im saying........right?)

sensor is on to it.....fiberglass joint tape for drywall. My brother used the kind with a sticky back as ribbon on a package once.

DING DING DING. Yes thats right, fiberglass drywall tape w/ the adhesive on the back. Keeps it in place without leaving residue and is easy to trim.It doesnt give exact perfect squares which is what I like. It kinda looks like alligator hide. :wink:

OK ,so I now have the Colson clone frame that Uncle Stretch built 99.9% finished. It is now named The Kilted Hawg.
Here are some pics.
colsonclone024.jpg

colsonclone023.jpg

colsonclone022.jpg

colsonclone021.jpg

Here is a view of the suicide shift
colsonclone028.jpg

colsonclone026.jpg

My attempt at engine turning. I did this to cover up all the dings I made when I was first trying to get headset to fit right.
colsonclone027.jpg

colsonclone035.jpg

colsonclone033.jpg

Only about an 1/8" clearence chain/tire.
colsonclone030.jpg

Why I call it the Kilted Hawg.
colsonclone031.jpg

It looks black/dark maroon from just a few feet away, but up close it looks more maroon and kinda like a kilt. IMO :wink:

Thats AWESOME! It really looks like a vintage Wide Glide meets 20's Harley. Bet it croooozes too! Can't go wrong with the color choices either! One Word RIDEIT! (Oh, thats two words!)

Joe

That turned out great. I really like the paint. Subtle and complex. I see you finally got your 3G fork.

Just purrfect. The paintwork you've done is truly stunning. I didn't get how you reached that unique look. I also love the techy touch the fork tees give. Enjoy the pRIDE.

Latest posts

Back