Uncle Touchy's Back Roads Bomber (Finished)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Better late than never. This will be my 2nd official build off. My first was RRBBO # 1. Obviously I really wasn't planning this. 2 nights ago I was piddling around in the garage and decided to redo a bike. Went to get the camera to document it as I practically photo document everything I do :roll: then I thought if I'm documenting it, why not go ahead and enter it in the build off. What have I got to lose.. other than the build off?
So here I go.

Starting with this Monark frame. It most recently looked like this and had a coat of textured paint on it. I'll probably be reusing most of the parts.
IMG_9206.JPG

2010 for the Tour De Fat
IMG_3324.JPG

and prior to that
IMG_1196.JPG

When I bought the frame
2010_midwest_bicycle_swap.jpg

Re: Uncle Touchy's Back Roads Bomber

25 days left
No doubt that you can do it, but you better GTB quickly!!!!!
Glad to see you jump in this hot mess!!!

Lookin good!And wow,that's a clean shop :mrgreen:

Thanks guys.

This is going to be my steering set up. I bought these bars some time ago for no particular reason that I recall. They've just been hanging on the wall.
rrbbo7-bars.JPG

I've used this cut off end of a light weight fender on different bikes in different places in the past. It will adorn the front fender after I modify it a bit.
rrbbo7-fender_ornament.JPG

I'm glad to see you jumped into the build off Randy. My favorite color is green!
We should have a "build off bike" ride when our bikes are done.

LowpowerD said:
I'm glad to see you jumped into the build off Randy. My favorite color is green!
We should have a "build off bike" ride when our bikes are done.
Thanks.

Good idea on the ride. Maybe on August 4th or 5th right before the deadline? Could also provide a good opportunity for final photos albeit last minute.

Welcome, all bikes are green, thus green is a good choice. It will be interesting to see what you come up with, especially based on your catchy title name.

I like the front fender piece.
But I am a bit disturbed by the name of the bike..Uncle Touchy???

The bikes namesake is my Great-Uncle "Touchy". Yeah today that name probably wouldn't go over so well.
Anyway he is one of 2 inspirations for the bike. I'll share the other later.
"Uncle Touchy" was a Kansas farmer and I believe was born on the family farm/homestead and stayed there up until about a year prior to his death. One of the things I remember most about him was how he smoked a pipe. He carried his tin of Prince Albert in the breast pocket of his overalls. Lighting his stick match on the can. As a kid I was fascinated by the whole pipe smoking process and loved the aroma. Another thing I remember was visiting "the farm" and there was no indoor restroom and having to use the outhouse :? Later years he did add on a bathroom.

Today I picked these up at an antique store and will will include one of them in to the build.

rrbbo7-prince_albert_tin.jpg

I think I'm going with this chainguard. It's missing the mounting hardware so I'll have to come up with something.
rrbbo7-chainguard.JPG

If I can't find the right rusty or patina'd nuts and bolts I try and disguise the new ones.
rrbbo7-nutsbolts.jpg

You got prince albert in a can? Yeah. Well you better rat him out!!! :D :lol: :mrgreen:

Doing a little finish sanding. Whoops!
rrbbo7-paint2.jpg

Still not for sure if I'm going with this chainguard but I did get brackets worked out and mounted it. I want to keep the shiny stuff to a minimum so I may paint or take the shine off the chainguard.
rrbbo7-chainguard2.JPG

rrbbo7-chainguard3.JPG

aka_locojoe said:
Sickle blades...spelling may be off?

Lookin good Randy! I better get busy, time is running out!!!!

Latest posts

Back