Unknown frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what kind of frame this is

Attachments

• IMG_20210422_084808460.jpg
    IMG_20210422_084808460.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 86
Yes that is all exactly the same as mine. Giant Simple single. Also available with gears but only in the US.
Mine is circa 2002

By the way, while we are all here, can you help me id this too?
A friend of mine brought me this picture, but i couldn't tell her what it is. The sprocket is Monark, the stem is 1960's, but i can't tell who manufactured this. Looks a bit like huffy to me, but i am not sure.
gWXDBJhKUKztfF_6Xc4B8VS8IJDrja-ixDmTycSRA4Y.jpg

Columbia had the Speedliner in this style of cruiser, but this isn't one (single tube seat stay and forged fork on the Columbia). The kickstand is Schwinn or at least Schwinn like...and I think Schwinn would have had that exclusively until around '71 or so. I have a vague recollection of a low end Schwinn non-cantilever cruiser (not camelback or fastback...a middleweight)...but, I can't find an example and I don't remember if the seatstays stopped next to the seat mast like other Schwinn's, or were attached to the back of the seat mast. The fork is decidedly not Schwinny. The joints don't look Schwinny either.

The twin pinstripes are like a Monark I had as a kid in the 60's. The dropout looks different than what I've seen before. There's a mounting hole just above the fender brace mounting hole. Then the other brace has a mounting hole just above the axle. That's where Huffys had theirs, just the extra one is a mystery to me. Huffy bought Monark in 57 and then Monarks were a combination of the two for awhile, then all Huffy.
I can't find a match for that, yet.
monark.jpg

Last edited:
Was this pic taken in the US?
I think so, yes, behind the scenes from some movie filming.
Murray is what i've thought too, but dropouts don't match to that spaceliner style peaky ones.
She showed me this bike as a reference to what she wants to have, and we ended up getting a late 70's Murray Monterey actually, so it was close enough guess for her to like it. But now i am just so curious what bike it actually was on the photo.

I may have found it...but, I can't verify because I can't find a pic of a real one :grin: .

1956-ish AMF/Shelby Flying Cloud...
161229696_1956-ad-amf-pedal-cars-tractor-fire-truck-roadmaster-.jpg

I've looked at other AMF/Shelby pics of this era, and some do have dropouts that may match and the straight chainstays. But, without pics of a real one...???

The bike in your pic doesn't seem to have the CWC belly that the AMF does...that could be a year thing though as Shelby production was ending around this time and manufacturing switching to different plants.

Still little more than a guess...closer than the Speedliner or Flying Star, though.

I may have found it...but, I can't verify because I can't find a pic of a real one :grin: .

1956-ish AMF/Shelby Flying Cloud...
View attachment 156242
I've looked at other AMF/Shelby pics of this era, and some do have dropouts that may match and the straight chainstays. But, without pics of a real one...???
The dropouts shape is also very different. I would recognize Roadmaster dropouts out of a thousand others :)
Thanks for all the efforts and input!

Your right...the drawing does seem to have CWC dropouts. I was going off other AMF Shelby pics from equivalent year (different model) bikes.

Maybe a later year all AMF version of this bike. I've found similar bikes by three different manufacturers...there is still Snyder, Monark, Murray, CBC and Huffy to dig through...or maybe even a dark horse possibility (Stelber? Royce? CCM?).

Latest posts

Back