Unknown Murray bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought this bike from a friend last night. I know it's built by Murray, but there are no indications as to what exact brand/model of bike I have. I tried finding pictures online of this frame style with these specific racks, a (missing) tank and chain guard, but I haven't had any luck pinpointing what I have. It doesn't help that I don't know the exact name for this style of frame, as it isn't a standard cantilever bike, nor is it the later Spaceliner-style frame. It's in overall good condition, but I did notice that the dropouts were bent while taking these photos. Any idea what exact kind of bike I brought home with me?
BftD_Unknown_Murray_1.jpg
BftD_Unknown_Murray_2.jpg
BftD_Unknown_Murray_3.jpg
BftD_Unknown_Murray_4.jpg
BftD_Unknown_Murray_5.jpg
BftD_Unknown_Murray_6.jpg
BftD_Unknown_Murray_7.jpg
BftD_Unknown_Murray_8.jpg

Looks like you have the whole original bike, except the seat and the tank. The pedals and grips look in excellent condition. Fenders aren't dinged up or rusty.
I think some of those numbers are Sears catalog numbers. If you can access the catalogs, 4 digits from the last set of numbers should match up with the model and year.
MOU is supposed to be 1962. It's definitely a 60's bike, it has matching rims so they are most probably original, with a red band Bendix one speed. The tires are a matching set also, maybe original. They might have a brand name on them. Allstate was a Sears brand of tires.
The model name was cleaned off the chain guard, but maybe there's something on the seat tube. Cleaning up the bike may show something.

The middle code tells what store it was for. There was a thread on the Cabe that had the breakdowns of usually X plus another letter. I know "WG-3" was Gamble's Dept stores, with the Hiawatha badge. Murray made bikes for most of 'em! ~Adam

Latest posts

Back