Unofficial March Shootout 4

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in.

Have this 40 Columbia from a build off a couple years ago that I gave a friend, and it came back to me with a broken bottom bracket tube, disconnected seat tube.
20220304_183751.jpg

First up, will repair that first. I make a mod or two in the process
20220304_183739.jpg

The bike needs new color. The triple Ford engine blue will be covered with something.

?? maybe a new front-end.... ??

I'm in.

Have this 40 Columbia BuildOff bike from a build off bike from a couple years ago that I gave a friend, and it came back to me with a broken bottom bracket tube, disconnected seat tube.
View attachment 187724
First up, will repair that first. I make a mod or two in the process
View attachment 187725
The bike needs new color. The triple Ford engine blue will be covered with something.

?? maybe a new front-end.... ??
No way trusses are awesome

Ok Carl your a smart guy View attachment 187723
How would you bend a fork out like that

Pound a round wooden block in between the forks mounted vertically in a vise... Probably heat the outside of the tubes up with a plumbing torch. It'd be nice to fill the tubes with sand or salt first, but how? Drill out the tops maybe ... Hmm first I'd have to figure out why I would. Because I don't think I would.

Carl.

Some goober posted this in the wrong thread. LOL.
View attachment 187583
Got this 2 speed kickback hub I'll think I'll use instead of the 3 speed I was thinking of, mostly because there's no brake bridge to hang a caliper on the old Shelby frame. I can run the SA 3 speed on my next buildoff bike it has the bridge. Did I mention I'm finally rebuilding my Spaceliner for the "Big" buildoff?

Carl.
Merle.

Pound a round wooden block in between the forks mounted vertically in a vise... Probably heat the outside of the tubes up with a plumbing torch. It'd be nice to fill the tubes with sand or salt first, but how? Drill out the tops maybe ... Hmm first I'd have to figure out why I would. Because I don't think I would.

Carl.
My wife said the same thing why?

About to head into the garage to strip the Speedster down real quick-like because it's cold out. All of the chrome will be getting restored indoors afterward.

I still need to figure out a wheelset and am contemplating either a fully restored set from the '68 Heavy Duti (Red Rocker) or something custom from my 26" hoop and steel coaster era hubsets.

IMG_20220305_135211668.jpg

Only stem I have that fits and the handlebars need a shim. Building mostly British 3 speeds sometimes causes compatibility issues. The stem is a wald and the Springer is Schwinn. I have more stems but they are under 4 feet of snow. my shed roof collapsed this year.

Anybody else working on a name for their bike? I feel like a bike's gotta have a name. Sets it apart, sometimes it labels the theme or sets the tone of the build. Trouble is I'm stuck for a direction here. Strip, flip, trip or zip? "Drag Queen" is too obvious for me. Shelby is an odd name to go off of too. So what are you guys calling your builds?

Carl.

IMG_20220306_110333994.jpg

Changed the seat again put on grips but I think I need to make them cover more of the handle bars going to keep the codder crank (I can see Matti cringing) made shims for the handlebars not crazy about the stem. Might have to bang the one out of an old CCM (been in there for 90 years)
IMG_20220306_110333994.jpg

So what are you guys calling your builds?
"The Bike That Wasn't"

Last year someone tried telling me that Schwinn Speedsters have always been a diamond frame. I didn't argue the point or even look it up, but just let it be. A couple of days later, a 1960 cantilever frame Speedster popped up on CL and I bought it for the serendipity of it all.

Yesterday went really well, considering the age and condition of the Speedster and Junior Sting-Ray that is donating handlebars for the build. The stem bolt on the speedster snapped, but the headset cap nut broke free rather easily. so an overnight soak should get me closer. The Junior Sting-Ray has a frozen headset cap nut, but the stem bolt backed out and is serviceable. The bars came off fine, but it's staying in the stand until that cap bolt breaks free. Both bikes stripped down the rest of the way with minimal hassle though. The chrome from both bikes is polished up and as soon as this weather breaks, the polishing wheel is coming back out for the hardware that requires restoration.

That is a jacked up frame. The trusses, maybe stripping them drown and brazing them will actually look cool and that's all that style are for anyway. Solid trusses are easy to fab tho. grab some rod at the hardware store and make some new. You got a big hammer don't cha?

Carl.

IMG_20220306_220549.jpg
IMG_20220306_220529.jpg
Mockup. I didn't take the Shock-Eaze fork apart after all. There's a bolt that's pretty snug, so why bust it when I don't have a rubber bushing to replace the squished one? Also my front axle is junk but I'll find one to swapout and maybe even a couple of those old school giant wing nuts. Gotta a cool 26x2.125 that looks a lot fatter because of the square profile but leaves plenty of room for a possible bobbed fender. Wald goose and crusty bars, woohoo.

Carl.

IMG_20220306_232228.jpg

A much better set of bars & goose that match the patina of the bike.
I also found just a bit of orange paint under the rust, crust and blue. I've had a can of boiled linseed oil for a while. This just might be the one ...

Carl.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back