Unofficial March Shootout 4

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this latest pick up will be the perfect bike for this build. Time to get creative.
20220304_214532.jpg

The Speedster dropout:
20220305_141524.jpg

The stem is still stuck on the Speedster, so I'll be using heat on it tomorrow.

The Sting-Ray Junior let go of the stem, headset top cap and headset keyed washer this morning. The threaded race is being a bit stubborn, so that'll get some heat tomorrow.

Some of the chrome parts, with some 70's grips I'll probably be using:
20220307_153819.jpg

Perhaps I could find room the Rat Lab; move out my last DNF to make room for my next DNF.
You could finish your latest DNF. Anything goes bro. Just post the work.

Carl.

IMG_20220307_190530.jpg

Went on a boneyard raid yesterday and picked a few bits up. Bobber fender, seatpost, seat and some decent white bow pedals.

Carl.

You know I'm not building a girls bike.
At some point I'll be cutting the second bar out and welding it in across the top. Half the fun here is doing things I've never done before. The challenges will be blending the finish to look original and the nub left over at the bottom of the seat tube...
I've also got to get going on the trophy. I'm planning on a loving cup style this year so I need to find an old metal creamer.

Carl.

Never actually accured to me that it was a girl bike. it reminded of an old trike we use to have here in Canada Sunshine they had a great fender. Then gave a brain storm what I could do with an old gazelle popular. I figured you were up to something I noticed the second bar in the photo of the handlebars.Wish I had a spot to set up my gear. It's all nuts and bolts for me.

First job. A gender bender.

I grabbed a peice of electrical conduit and my hole saw it.
20220309_091743.jpg

A few tube notches to match the frame profile, and we have a new top tube.
20220309_091837.jpg

I have an expoxy bumper repair goo, so that was used to 'weld' in the new top tube.
Plus a splash of colour to seal it up.
20220309_094706.jpg

Never actually accured to me that it was a girl bike. it reminded of an old trike we use to have here in Canada Sunshine they had a great fender. Then gave a brain storm what I could do with an old gazelle popular. I figured you were up to something I noticed the second bar in the photo of the handlebars.Wish I had a spot to set up my gear. It's all nuts and bolts for me.
Well I've been making do with a 110v wire feeder welder from Harbor Freight. It's good for spot welds, but tough to run a bead with little penetration. So I figure if I cut the tube correct to fit, pressure should keep it in place with some simple tack welds (repeatedly) dressing the welds will be more of an issue to me. Strength, vs looking original and blending into the patina.

Carl.

First job. A gender bender.

I grabbed a peice of electrical conduit and my hole saw it.
View attachment 188065

A few tube notches to match the frame profile, and we have a new top tube.
View attachment 188066

I have an expoxy bumper repair goo, so that was used to 'weld' in the new top tube.
Plus a splash of colour to seal it up. View attachment 188067
If you want to see an early build of mine with an extra tube and no welding, search The Difference Engine.
Carl.
I was looking at it yesterday to see if I could raid any parts from it...

Worked on freeing up frozen parts and hit the polishing wheel today for a couple of hours today. Headed out to use a little more heat on the frozen chosen in a minute. At the very least today, my stash of restored Schwinn nuts/bolts/bits/pieces grew exponentially. Maybe those parts will break free for me now to make the day complete...

Carl is right, I need to finish what I started.
I'm in with The Bonefish Extension
IMG_20220308_165824104.jpg
IMG_20220308_165956692.jpg
IMG_20220308_165918376.jpg

Still a few bugs to work out, still a few pieces to go. It seems like a bit of a cop out just to throw on a stem and wrap it up, so I'm going to paint the fork. I think I will try out black appliance paint. There's still a trick or two left in the bag as well, we'll see where I get.

Cool build there @GuitarlCarl.
I hadn't seen that one while navigating the site
Most of my early builds were buried in the voting. There are so many awesome builds that just go unseen for many reasons. I sometimes come off as grouchy and don't do well in the popularity dept. but dig though the archives because there are one off builds in there that push this craft to it's limits and don't get the credit they deserve. I'm not saying any of mine should have done better, but that many many great bikes has passed through these halls unheralded.

GC.
Another fun build I nicked the fender and pedals from was Zombie's Dream...

I sometimes come off as grouchy and don't do well in the popularity dept.
To quote my friend who is going to be the recipient of The Big Payback build being completed later this week with something he used to say often back in the day, "I'm not here to be liked. I'm here to be controversial."

We can modify that a bit, "I'm not here to be liked. I'm here to learn and build bikes."

It's art, man. When we die, someone might pay good money for it then. Nobody else really has to like it or ride it, just us. If just one other person is stoked about what we create, that's just a bonus.

PS The Sting-Ray Junior broke free of its parts yesterday evening. Today the Speedster parts shall be vanquished.

I appreciate that brother. But as the eternal class clown, 99% of what I do is to entertain and amuse folks. I'm sure it's because I've always wanted everyone to like me, so the grouchy moniker just rubs me wrong (ironically making me grouchier lol) sometimes I edit posts multiple times to get a point across without offending others and still fail. The question I missed? Was my point that important...

Carl.

I get that, Carl. I normally DGAF about what I write on the interwebsz, but do care here. This place is special because of people like you and all of the others who push the limits of what they can do with building bicycles and are obviously having fun doing it.

I get that, Carl. I normally DGAF about what I write on the interwebsz, but do care here. This place is special because of people like you and all of the others who push the limits of what they can do with building bicycles and are obviously having fun doing it.
I learned a lot on this site socially, and expanded my fab and modeling skills a bunch. Such a great group to share ideas with, and get help when stuck or not sure which route to take or pick a part that looks great on the build.

To me it's never about the votes but to build a bike that excites and gets the heart pumping faster just by looking at it. For the love of the ride. 👍

Most of my early builds were buried in the voting. There are so many awesome builds that just go unseen for many reasons. I sometimes come off as grouchy and don't do well in the popularity dept. but dig though the archives because there are one off builds in there that push this craft to it's limits and don't get the credit they deserve. I'm not saying any of mine should have done better, but that many many great bikes has passed through these halls unheralded.

GC.
Another fun build I nicked the fender and pedals from was Zombie's Dream...
I don't take it as rude at all. I'm a fresh member to the site, and appreciate the links, help, suggestions and support along the way. Love seeing what's lost into the archives for inspiration and ideas.
Have learnt a load of new skills since joining in the build off's. It's a push to get out of the comfort zone and try new things.

Latest posts

Back