Unofficial March Shootout 4

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20220320_120907.jpg
20220320_120917.jpg

My welder has had the biscuit after getting the basic frame welded, Aussie for 'its stuffed'. So I'm unable to add a brake bridge at the moment. I'll have to make up a clamp on solution to get me out of trouble.

I have a Chrome frame and front end the coating on it has turned yellow I want to use the frame but haven't gotten around to stripping it
Not to give too much away but I'd like to remove the red paint and redo mine in a nonstandard color. Their transparent paint over chrome is a cool idea. There is also a large probability that I will return to the ALiEN theme with the Spaceliner's name.

Carl.

Today's little bit on "A Bike With No Name" I got the rear hub tightened up and flapwheeled both sides of my plate ditching the hammered reverse side. Put a little desert scene on there with the flapper and then I hit it with apple vinegar since I had no white. Just a little experiment to see how long it will take.
IMG_20220320_173147__01.jpg
IMG_20220320_173310.jpg

Carl.

NINE DAYS LEFT!
Looks like we have 4 rollers and 2 in limbo...

Which reminds me, I had a burglary a couple days ago and all they took was my limbo stick.
I mean really, how low can you go?

Carl.

I am not gonna finish my '40 repair this month. Basket case until I figure it out. Already a home for a spider.
20220322_090010.jpg

Outta time and have too many projects. Bought a truck last week, the dart clutch linkage bracket for the torque shaft ball stud bracket broke. Also, other work things require more attention. Glad Brewers is still in business.
20220322_090332.jpg

Will check back every so often when I can. Good luck. Lots of ratty cool in these pages.

IMG_20220323_210807.jpg

IMG_20220323_211655.jpg

After I wiped the first pic down it was almost clean! I'm trying something else...lemon juice just to get a little etched in. But...
IMG_20220323_210749.jpg

IMG_20220323_211718.jpg

The second side was started a day later and seems to have "took" better. I can tell I'm going to end up using some mixed media methods. I'm thinking torch and paint.

GC.

Last edited:
@ingola there are direct replacement LED bulbs for flashlights that should pop right into an older style dynamo headlight.

GC.
Yes but a dynamo runs on DC current if the bulbs don't have the conversation to A/C the light will flicker. I am going to give it a try. I also install a capacitor so led will remain on when the bike is stopped.

I've completely lost momentum. Have spent a minute or two on accessories, trying to put together a little mascot, but it is really not giving me feels. I need to take a ride on it to fire myself up.
@GuitarlCarl I really like your acid etching project, Side A is a hit!

Yes but a dynamo runs on DC current if the bulbs don't have the conversation to A/C the light will flicker. I am going to give it a try. I also install a capacitor so led will remain on when the bike is stopped.
ya, I put an LED bulb in my '55 Greyhound 3 spd headlight with front hub generator and it flickers. It's kinda cool actually. Get's driver's attention, which is the point I suppose. The original incandescent bulb flickered a little too, but not nearly so on-off, more like bright and dim, bright and dim...

ya, I put an LED bulb in my '55 Greyhound 3 spd headlight with front hub generator and it flickers. It's kinda cool actually. Get's driver's attention, which is the point I suppose. The original incandescent bulb flickered a little too, but not nearly so on-off, more like bright and dim, bright and dim...
@metalchewy was your bulb one of the direct replacement LED bulbs for flashlights with the bulb socket?

I suppose you could modify the lamp circuit to include a rechargeable battery backup. The drain wouldn't be too bad when in constant motion and I believe it would filter out the flickering. Parallel to the dynamo with a capacitor protecting the battery from back feeding the dynamo should work. What do you think @ingola ?

Carl.

Latest posts

Back