Unofficial March Shootout II

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Pookie42 I think there is another thing you need to address, that yellow beauty in the background rolling on those sick mags!

*Also, is there a skeleton napping on the black one?

Lol, yes he’s hanging around from a halloween ride we did. The yellow bike was the second bike I built years ago that I have to put back together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to throw this one in the mix as I wait for parts for KP and I want a new daily rider . This is a 86 Schwinn smoke chrome Sierra . Trying to use all vintage MTB parts from the same era . The frame is a Ebay find and most of the parts I picked up from favorite junk man .The city came down on him and making him do a little house cleaning so I'm getting some good deals .
DG frmae.jpg

Last edited:
image.jpg
I got the triple crank on and Panaracer Gravel King tubeless tires on. They have more tread than I wanted but they were halfprice. I hope to have it ready for the Melting Mann gravel race in about two weeks. I can’t decide what to wear for the race. A red flannel shirt for sure but the pants have me stumped. Perhaps a bathing suit? I’ll wear 3 fingered mittens with 4 chemical warmers in each glove. If it’s 40 F or below I’ll wear my electric sox. I’ll not wear my snowboard helmet, a standard helmet with earmuffs will work. If it rains I’ll just get wet. Any pants suggestions? I hate the bicycle clown suits everyone wears. They look really bad on the Clydesdale riders. This race is notorious for ice crashes, but this year it is three weeks later than usual so I’m hoping for ice free dry conditions, ha, ha. I’ll bring my crash pads Incase it’s icy.

Last edited:
View attachment 114847 I got the triple crank on and Panaracer Gravel King tubeless tires on. They have more tread than I wanted but they were halfprice. I hope to have it ready for the Melting Man gravel race in about two weeks. I can’t decide what to wear for the race. A red flannel shirt for sure but the pants have me stumped. Perhaps a bathing suit? I’ll wear 3 fingered mittens with 4 chemical warmers in each glove. If it’s 40 F or below I’ll wear my electric sox. I’ll not wear my snowboard helmet, a standard helmet with earmuffs will work. If it rains I’ll just get wet. Any pants suggestions? I hate the bicycle clown suits everyone wears. They look really bad on the Clydesdale riders. This race is notorious for ice crashes, but this year it is three weeks later than usual so I’m hoping for ice free dry conditions, ha, ha. I’ll bring my crash pads Incase it’s icy.
I thought you said you have some Elmer Fudd hunting pants ?

I thought you said you have some Elmer Fudd hunting pants ?
They would be too heavy, they are real thick. But I did a wool hunting pants net serch and found some light weight wool Swiss Army surplus mountain climbing nickers for under $30. With wool sox they should be just right, if it’s above 40 F regular Sox, colder for knee high sox. I have light and medium long sleeved wool tops to wear under the heavy ripped and torn red checked vintage flannel shirt. Wool that you don’t care about is the ticket for this muddy race. Wool keeps you warm when it gets wet so if it rains I’ll be all set. Thanks for the hunting pants idea.

main-qimg-4d478d0983b562ded798ff7ba409ae3a-c

Lived in the U.P. for over 30 years, and still live only 15 miles away. Other than Summer, It's pretty much flannel shirt and jeans. Now there's light, medium and heavy variations... And of course the layered look with various polartec things but it was good enough for Paul so it's good enough for me. :21:

@sandman is that a Tange sticker on the seat tube of your Schwinn? I thought they used their own "Tri-oval Tri-Caliber Chromoly" for the Sierras.
I know they came stock with the Suntour roller cam brakes, cool looking, but tough to set up! I think they had deore xt u brakes as an option
high_sierra_07.jpg

main-qimg-4d478d0983b562ded798ff7ba409ae3a-c

Lived in the U.P. for over 30 years, and still live only 15 miles away. Other than Summer, It's pretty much flannel shirt and jeans. Now there's light, medium and heavy variations... And of course the layered look with various polartec things but it was good enough for Paul so it's good enough for me. :21:
That looks better than clown bicycle race ware. I was going to leave my flannel shirt untucked and unbuttoned so it would fly in the wind but I like the suspenders. I’m going with suspenders. Perhaps also a belt like Paul, just to be on the safe side.

@sandman is that a Tange sticker on the seat tube of your Schwinn? I thought they used their own "Tri-oval Tri-Caliber Chromoly" for the Sierras.
I know they came stock with the Suntour roller cam brakes, cool looking, but tough to set up! I think they had deore xt u brakes as an option
View attachment 114848
Chrome-Moly sticker running with Deore LX group set .

No pic update. Ordered my spokes for the rear lace job and my 32" triple tree fork.

@Pookie42 reach out to Working Bikes, I bet they got some chain. ( I need to make a roadtrip up there myself...) Also wire saddle bags for the rear on your tandem, would be slick and useful.

Carl.

Sent from across the universe using Tapatalk

Got my tires in today
28efd523c5f5ee11fdb21e6584425c25.jpg

I have an idea how to adjust the fenders. With the back I’m going to put a big washer fasten it to the rear axle then drill holes to attach the fender braces
8ce9837f8555b4e4b19547b24404ddfe.jpg
01c6ced0fbb4aeda9def24fef39768e2.jpg
53f58df1369756e83dd0a66ea005d0ac.jpg

The front fender I can drill a hole in the front brace but the bottom one I’m short 2 1/2”
df49daf853f670285b1674a85f875757.jpg
0344f32fdf1456ce3049064ac9a76aba.jpg
4491a693ac14f517443ea4220b7ed568.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowing here again. I've accomplished nothing in the first week. There goes my head start! Dunno if I'm gonna be able to do this... friggin Canada:mad:

Know when to Fold'em...

Here are a couple of crank sets. When it comes to some of this fancy "furrin" stuff, I am lost. The FasTrack CPI on the right is the original part. The crank arms seem to be encapsulated in tough polymer stuff. The Altitude ProWheel set is something I scavenged off another bike. They look like they have identical teeth counts. No, I haven't counted them. Is either one better than the other, especially if riding off pavement?
47089472a7226076dae11dd58f73369d.jpg
fc1a6cebc314c271bba63422c7441c28.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

View attachment 114845 View attachment 114844 View attachment 114843 There is a blizzard going on so I can’t work in the shop. Frankengraved is also coming along.
I won’t get around to blowing snow from the blizzard until Monday. I have been painting my daughters living room, plan to finish it Sunday. No bike work because of this. Two day blizzard, then 40 F yesterday and 7 F now which is about as cold as it got all winter. We only had 2 days of -10 F this year. It’s spring transition weather. Company is coming from out of state so the bedroom bike shop is temporarily shut down for decluttering.

Know when to Fold'em...

Here are a couple of crank sets. When it comes to some of this fancy "furrin" stuff, I am lost. The FasTrack CPI on the right is the original part. The crank arms seem to be encapsulated in tough polymer stuff. The Altitude ProWheel set is something I scavenged off another bike. They look like they have identical teeth counts. No, I haven't counted them. Is either one better than the other, especially if riding off pavement?
47089472a7226076dae11dd58f73369d.jpg
fc1a6cebc314c271bba63422c7441c28.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
No advantage to either, both have non replaceable chainrings. Are they both 170 mm crank arm length? Neither has offset teeth to make index shifting more percisle. Both gotta have 6/16 pedal threading. Check the pedal threads and the threads by the square taper. Are the chain lines the same for each? The chain line is measured from the center of the down tube to the inside edge of the middle chainring. The chain line determines the spindle offset for an asymertical spindle. They probably have the same chain line, 45 mm, perhaps 50?

Latest posts

Back