UpDown 2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't Washing Machine Charlie fly around in a plane that didn't sound like it worked
quite right ? And missed with the bombs ?

That isn't so far off from some of what I do.
Attempted humor welcome.

Gotta love summer.
Gets light at 5 and dark around 9.
Lots of hours to work on projects and still do some honey dos.

The UpDown goal for today started with bellcrank / idler setup to connect the steering.
That went well up to a point.
bellcrank parts re.JPG

This starts off with 3 bearings from the parts bin that fit snug on a 3/8 " bolt.
Then to find something that is the right ID for the bearings to fit in.
A short piece of thin walled steer tube, from a cheap BMX fork, worked just right,

Used 5/16 " lock washers, straightened out, for spacers, searched for some other washers
for top and bottom, and test fit the assembly in a scrap of the same tubing as the frame.
bellcrank assembly re.JPG

As it turned out, the long 3/8 " bolt needed to be welded onto the side of the frame, to allow
clearance at the crank arm.
As seen in the next pic, the steering rods, (drag links) are made in two parts.

Got the front one on, and that's where murphy struck.
When I checked the turning with the rod on, the front pedal hit the front tire.
OOPS.
So cut off the front BB and the bellcrank assembly, clean up the mess, try to save the thin
frame metal, and move everything back 3 ". Reset the chain length. Try again.

No missing frame parts or test rides today.
But I did get the steering connected.
And with steering, I can push the trike around the yard.
steering connected 1 re.JPG
closeup re.JPG

Setbacks are common and to be expected when working things out on the fly.
Another interruption is what needs to be done around the place while the sun shines.

This morning I worked out the last frame pieces and rear seat mount, but looks like
monday or so before the work resumes.

That's OK by me, don't want to burn out on this build and not finish.

The little BMX bike I tore down the other day must’ve sounded like washing machine Charlie going down the street. That BB was so bad the cup wore way into the sprocket.

Now I’m wondering if any of the young folks bothered to look up washing machine Charlie?

That’s what my mongoose was like until I replaced that bent derailer.

-chuh-chuuuh-chuh-chuuuh-chuh-chuuu-

Now it’s like Sky King.
…hmmmmmmmmmmmm…..

Monday again. Other things going on, but made some time anyway.

I really did want that first test ride, just needed the missing frame piece , and a seat for that.

First off the frame. Cut up the rusty broken hand truck for some steel.
Used a section of a kids "Next" bike to fill in.
handtruck to parts re.JPG
next part re.JPG

Oh NO !
Not this again.
The last time was with the first trike seen in "some new builds".
So I stretched out the wheelbase 10 " on that one. Made the second one just as long.
That time it happened on the very hard packed gravel by the mail box.
Yes, the old backflip.
I mean the 1/4 backflip.
The one where your head stops the fall.

At least this time it happened on a grass section.
And in slower motion.

Nothing broken, but back to a sore neck and shoulder for a while.

I will make a way to stretch this wheel base out before the next test.
May be a slight delay.
Also ran out of CO 2.
that also means a delay.
Will this end this build ? The wheelbase is just about too long as it is. Time will tell.

Well, "It seemed like a good idea at the time".

Oh NO !
Not this again.
The last time was with the first trike seen in "some new builds".
So I stretched out the wheelbase 10 " on that one. Made the second one just as long.
That time it happened on the very hard packed gravel by the mail box.
Yes, the old backflip.
I mean the 1/4 backflip.
The one where your head stops the fall.

At least this time it happened on a grass section.
And in slower motion.

Nothing broken, but back to a sore neck and shoulder for a while.

I will make a way to stretch this wheel base out before the next test.
May be a slight delay.
Also ran out of CO 2.
that also means a delay.
Will this end this build ? The wheelbase is just about too long as it is. Time will tell.

Well, "It seemed like a good idea at the time".
Dang, I'm glad that went as well as it did; that could've been really bad!

Hopefully you'll be able to figure out a solution in time. I think you've got a great idea; it just needs some fine-tuning is all.

Don't beat yourself up over it. I think it's safe to say most everyone here has had at least one "seemed like a good idea at the time" bicycle build at some point. It's just part of it. I'm sure you'll figure it out!

Wheelie bare are under consideration.
Oddly enough, the junk trike I scrapped out to use the back frame had a wheelie bar on it.
It came from a big lumber mill somewhere around Oregon that had dozens of trikes for the mill.
They also had a "millwright' built basket on the back that weighed around 30 lbs, then they loaded
up tools and hoses hanging off the back.

Back to UpDown 2.
My head is sore. My neck is sore. And there is good reason to be thankful that's all.
Where I went down I missed the cement slab by about 2 feet. the grass, (growing in the gravel )
was uncut. I seem to have a hard head.

I have come up with 3 different possible directions.

1. Take most all components off, and stretch the frame out 10 to 12 inches, then reassemble as
a tandem, kinda as planned. Still untested, and might still not work. Might be unstable sideways.

2. Strip everything off and rebuild as a single bent trike. Safest outcome, still retains the 'look."

3. Admit "there's not enough room for two" on a long wheelbase bent trike ,that is short enough to still steer, and scrap it out, saving anything worth saving.

Thanks to any who have followed this build, and please feel free to comment on those choices.
There is going to be at least a week or two before anything is done. Time to think.
Have other builds to work on also.

I have another idea for you but I would still tell you to consider the wheelie bars.

Put the front rider in a recumbent position with the pedals in front of the front wheel like this tadpole bike.
31396477-37D2-45FA-8DE4-8525B2AD620A.jpeg

That's the way UpDown 1 was made.
Not stable at the front.
Also, not finished.
First the garage fire. Then the insurance would not cover the building, just the contents.
Then the rebuilding of same. Then fixing up house to sell. Then packing. Then moving.
Then, anyway, you don't need another sob story.
UpDown 1 did not make the move.
Yet another "It seemed like a good idea at the time".
updown 1 re.JPG
updown 2 re.JPG

Latest posts

Back