UpDown 2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took some time today.
First off was a home made lever and cable mount fro the center 3-speed hub.
It came with none.
Just used some thin angle iron to make a bracket that uses the axle bolt to hold it in place.
Then another small piece of that angle for the lever. No pics.
The idea worked, and I hooked it up to another 3-speed twist shifter.

Now both 3-speed hubs have twist shift.
That setup works great, with a wide range and easy shifting.
Still have the gears on the Dual Drive to hook up. That will only add some top end gearing,
or some extra mid range choices.

Next is a backrest. The post is almost in the right spot, and the size is about right.
I need to buy some stiffer foam for better support before covering.
updown today re.JPG
updown with seat back re.JPG

The next goal will be some brakes up front and the front seating, with handholds.

Wife did not want double steering, and that makes things a bit more simple.

I will need to find a disk brake caliper some where. Then mount it for the rear.

The price of a new caliper makes me consider a new Wally World bike to use for parts.

Sunday brings a covered seat back, now adjusted and braced up.
A stem clamp welded on to the steer stick, new bars, and brake levers.
No brakes yet.

The seat back , properly adjusted to fit, makes a huge difference when pedaling.
Power to the pedals comes from pushing of the back rest.

Might need wheelie bars after all.
on the trail re.JPG
sunday updown re.JPG

Really inventive and interesting concept taking shape here!

RaT oN~!

Thank you for the comment.
It is fun to ride, even unfinished.

There is a trade off for the comfort of sitting on a somewhat comfy seat and that on a trike.

Weight. I try to make things light, but every little part adds to the overall weight.

The only good answer I can find is to have enough other bikes to have a reference point.

A good find today.
No pic needed.

A used, in good shape, disk brake caliper, with adapter. $ 20.

Sorry wallymart, no bikes for parts today.

That should be the last part I needed to buy to finish the build.

Still need some kind of paint.

I might be hearing things that are not there, but this build has been screaming out "sunshine
yellow", with black and silver parts.

I am considering some new tires. The used ones are OK, but new and 2.25" would be better.
Depends on how good the ride is with two riders.

This trike looks cool, fits Mad Max or Wasteland weekend or something (in a good way).
The top of that front fork screams for a big lamp of spotlight, but that is just my gut.

Are you going to paint it or build a rusty rat? (sorry if I missed it in this thread somewhere)

Are you going to paint it or build a rusty rat? (sorry if I missed it in this thread somewhere)

I might be hearing things that are not there, but this build has been screaming out "sunshine
yellow", with black and silver parts.
The details el Barto missed (literally one post earlier!) sound pretty cool. It's a good sign when the bike starts talking to you, you are in tune with the build now. This is when the magic happens

The details el Barto missed (literally one post earlier!) sound pretty cool. It's a good sign when the bike starts talking to you, you are in tune with the build now. This is when the magic happens
It's good to know that a "talking bicycle" is not completely unheard of.
Must not be too far off track, at least for RRB.

It's when I start to argue with the bike that I start to wonder.
Things must still be OK on the whole, I haven't lost any of those arguments yet.

Ouch, ya got me! I have to be honest, I really like reading all the builds, but there is not enough time. But thanks for mentioning it Matti.

Hmm, what about next to the front axle?

Or a smaller lamp in between the fork wheelgap?

I do like that big lamp on top! Like a search light.

The top mount was the first idea. Might be to cartoonish. Would still need to mod it to LED.
The next was in the middle, using the fender mount hole in the forks.

The next was to forget the light and go back to the original idea
which was some kind of "hood ornament" mounted in the fork top.

Like ' Flying the Swan", a sail boat, or small airplane with spinning prop.

The latest idea is closer to "why bother"

But the empty steer tube top is calling out for "something" to go there.

Hi,
A quick comment, no pics today, lots of "outdoor" work in progress.

Did find time to gather up and rough in the last bunch of parts to assemble the
Front seat and backrest.
Now that I have a firm direction, and full CO2 bottles, progress can be made.

One thing that I have found while using old bikes for parts is how many of the
tubes from different bikes will fit in or telescope with OD's matching ID's and so on.

Makes bike bashing possible.

The "up" is lower than planned for, and the "down" is higher, but I can just see over her head.
The frame needs lots of gussets and bracing, still a bit flexie.
The rear dual-drive hub needs to be raised up and shifted forward a bit.
Need something that looks like wheelie bars down low at the back to use as
a stand when tipping the trike up on end for storage.

Also strip, prep and paint.
Then reassemble.

Might make it in time.
Really notice the "extra" push when Cathie pedals.
updown two re.JPG
updown three re.JPG

We have had a few tandems. All had 20" wheels.
One was a "BikeFriday". Assembled from used parts and some I made while working there.
That was a nice ride, but as so often happens, a friend talked me into selling it to him.

There is a "drill", as Cathie calls it, where the "captian" calls out what is about to happen.
Like, pause, to shift the 3-speed, coast, turning left, push harder for a bit, ready? OK start, and so on.

The first thing I noticed when testing out updown, is that her head is very close and talking
or calling out is easy, no "shouting to the wind' or twisting around.

There is a "drill", as Cathie calls it, where the "captian" calls out what is about to happen.
Like, pause, to shift the 3-speed, coast, turning left, push harder for a bit, ready? OK start, and so on.
Riding a tandem is a great relationship test, akin to assembling Ikea furniture.

Latest posts

Back