Upgrade a Walmart bike.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I bought a Genesis 29er to play with. I love the size. I'm cheap and want to keep this low budget. I'm wondering what are the weak points on wallyworld bikes? Are parts interchangeable with older US made bikes? Cranks etc.

Thanks, Marc

What kind of bike do you have? The Onyx/Onex or the Astra?

All wallyworld bikes have there issues, but your gonna luck out a bit beings you've got a genesis. Wally bikes keep there prices low by selling bikes that have been made from the cheapest materials. Because Genesis makes mountain bikes, your cruiser is made mostly from Wally grade mountain bike parts. Thats a step up from crappy cruiser parts for sure!

The main issue I've found with genesis cruisers are the tires. Very very low quality rubber. If you've got the Astra you'll find the derailer will need maintenance after hard rides.

As for parts matching older cruisers, the main difference is the crank. You've got a 3 peice crank which require a specific tools and have a larger sized pedal axle. This gives you more access to cool pedals!!

The Onex has an oversized handlebar diameter, so the grips are specific to the bars. This may also make some handlebar accesories difficult to attatch.
The Astra uses regular grips.

Here's my list of 5 things to do:

First thing's first take it apart down to the bare frame and make sure everything has adequate grease. That will make a HUGE difference in how it rides.

Second shed any weight you can, If it has steel cranks like my Mongoose Beast had swap them for aluminum.

Third check tire pressure, improperly inflated tires can cause the bike to feel sluggish if they are low or if they are over inflated the ride quality can be bumpy.

Fourth make sure everything is adjusted properly (Cone nuts on wheels, cranks, chain tension, exc.) Having an overtightened crank or cone nut on a wheel can cause premature wear and also drag on the bike causing it to feel sluggish.

Fifth upgrade components, this is where you can get expensive, derailleurs, shifters, grips, seats, tires, rims, exc. Upgrade to lighter / stronger / better components.

Having been down the upgrade road many many times. Just keep in mind if you ever go to sell it the upgrades will have little added value to the bike.

I poured hundreds of dollars into a $500 mongoose mtb back in the early 90's to try to make a better bike out of it and all it yielded was a heavy hodge podge of a bike that never really performed like I felt it should after all the upgrades. Finally sold it for a loss and bought a S-works M2 which I rode for 5 years, in at least 10 different countries and through 2 race series. Still have some of that bike hanging around for my kids to ride...

Tires will make a big difference if you can upgrade to lighter ones, this will reduce your rotational mass so acceleration and turning will be improved. It's a 29er so those tires are heavy!

All a deraleur does is move the chain, the shifter is where all the feel is. Rocks break rear deraleurs but not usually shifters :D.

Make sure the upgrade you do is really an upgrade...

Right on, the Onex is a great purchase!

What kind of upgrades do you have in mind?

I had one with skinnys, drop bars and stem, roadbike seat, and pedals with toestraps.... now it sits unused in a friends garage :| I should get it back.

I was planning on buying a wally world bike and upgrading. when I rode it around the store and realized how much I would want to change I decided it wasn't worth it.

Latest posts

Back