Upside Down Xcess - Finished - New You Tube 8/6/12

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Throwing my own hat into the Build Off 7 ring. I can only hope to get a couple of votes competing against the great creativity and designs I already see here. You guys have awesome talent!

I've been wanting to build an upside down frame bike for some time now, and decided, now might as well be the time. For safety's sake some welding will be necessary, but I will keep it at a minimum and will be doing all of the welding myself.

Starting off with the Frame for the build, a girl's dept store MTB. A freebie trash rescue.

image5209.jpg

image5210.jpg

The second Donor Frame - another dept store MTB, this one is bent in places from being run over in the driveway. Another freebie.

image5208.jpg

I'm going to use the new Electra Forks on the front end.

image5212.jpg

image5211.jpg

So far, I've cut the BB and the Seat Tube off the donor frame.

image5213.jpg

Here's how they will be attached to the Flipped Frame.

image5214.jpg

Lots more to do, stay tuned.

Re: Flipper

2 new builds tonight, and both flipped girl's bikes. Looks like we have another Sub Build-Off! (who's keeping track?)

Can't wait to see how this one turns out, you had a great bike last year, and awesome final photos.

More girl bikes and flipped bikes than ever.

kingfish254 said:
More girl bikes and flipped bikes than ever.
I know I surprised alot of you doing a girls bike but sheesh there are alot of you that thought of it too! GTB!! Peace

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

One thing I hope to be able to make work is to use that upper piece of the seat tube so that I can run a std lay back seat post and still be adjustable. I want to do that instead of just welding a seat post/seat to the upper BB. Depends on if I can keep everything lined up. :D

I did that for last years build off. You're going to really enjoy riding that thing. It's looking good!

I'm liking the forks and the flip! Should make a very unique looking build. Rock it!!

Re: Flipper - 5/22/12 - Parts are starting to arrive

image5420.jpg

image5419.jpg

image5418.jpg

image5421.jpg

more on the way. I hope to be able to dedicate some build time to Flipper on the long Holiday week-end.

Re: Flipper - Update Wheel Mock Up 5/27/12

Moving along. I cleaned up the frame some, removing all the stickers and cutting the braze-ons off.
I mounted the tires on the wheel set and stuck them in the frame to see how the Thick Bricks are going to clear.
The back tire is mighty close, but does clear. I may have to make some new drop outs to move the axle back an inch or so.
So far, I'm happy with the look.

image2281.jpg

image2280.jpg

image2279.jpg

image2282.jpg

I moved the parts on the forks around some to stretch the front wheel out a bit more.

WOW! The inverted frame with the wheels and forks is insane!!!

One...that bike is gonna look cool!

two...

yoothgeye said:
2 new builds tonight, and both flipped girl's bikes. Looks like we have another Sub Build-Off! (who's keeping track?)

Can't wait to see how this one turns out, you had a great bike last year, and awesome final photos.

What's a subbuild-off?

Love teh forks on this and the rake they have.
Also love the lightning bolt zig-zag-i-ness of this frame!

The frames angles suggest a lightning bolt appearance, kinda' sharp and angular. I'd run with it. What kind of handlebar are you thinking of for it. I'd recommend large.(radical fork geometry)

Maybe you should rename it Zeus and paint a zig zag bolt.

kingfish254 said:
Maybe you should rename it Zeus and paint a zig zag bolt.

Well, that wasn't what I was thinkin', but it's a way to go. :D

Added BB and Seat Tube to the flipped frame.

I'm sure I could never make a living as a welder, but I did not blow holes in the thin tubing and the chicken scratch will look OK after a bit of grinding and some Bondo. :D

I don't think anything will fall off! :wink:

image2291.jpg

image2293.jpg

image2289.jpg

image2288.jpg

image2290.jpg

Next will be some new rear drop outs to make sure the frame does not fall off the rear axle.

Re: Flipper - Update Wheel Mock Up - BB & Seat Tube 5/28/12

That'll work!!

Re: Flipper - Update Wheel Mock Up - BB & Seat Tube 5/28/12

This will get some attention when finished 8) Very cool 8)

Latest posts

Back