Victim of Changes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job. I dropped a part and it hit the ground and got grass all over it stuck to the wet paint. All you can do is just smile and fix it. :wink:

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but your design has been tried and was so badly flawed that the bike has gone down in history as the "Death Bike" please be careful when riding it. the problem is with a spring on either side it allows one to collapse independant of the other which pitches the wheel sideways in the fork causing it to jam the tire in the fork, throwing the rider headlong. these were made by Huffman in 1938 and all but very very few were recalled and destroyed. there is only one known to exist today.
1938HuffmanDeathbikefronthub.jpg

1938HuffmanDeathbikerearhub.jpg

1930sHuffmanDeathBike.jpg

Thanks for the tips and comments guys. However, I see very little similarities in the structure of this lower death springer and mine - I have rode mine and all I have is dirt roads and bumpy gravel and it seems fine, just not as springy as I wanted. It rubs a tiny bit but that is because my rim is bent a tad - but it's all I got right now to work with - I put spacers between inside of whel & forks and that helped - If I had a smooth tire it would not rub, but all I have is old mountain bike tires - again, all I got. But I will be careful, always am. I'd love to have one of those death bikes!

Oh, the clock ran out of batteries 4 years ago - and as far as Mastercard - hey, a stickers a sticker right!

Anyways, got frame painted red, my FIRST red bike!, rims are white, sprockets, etc - few update pics below - going to put most together today -

Rock on, T.
victm_07a.jpg

victm_07b.jpg

I really like your pics complete with documentation! Very cool! Plus, I think the frame with the chain is very unique, a Victim of Chainges!

Basic idea is the same, but between the sturdiness of your guide bolts and mounts, and the "unspringyness" of your springs, I suspect yours is simply strong enough, and theirs wasn't. :wink:

strength wasn't the issue, the issue was without the two sides tied together, one side can compress more than the other and the wheel will jam against the fork and stop abruptly. if you notice the fork on my last years build off bike it had the same problem and if you turn the wheel quickly it hits the fender and braces. plus it feels strange to ride. my only concern is for safety, this design will have the potential to throw you off. never forget this potential as it may come at a time you least expect it. other than this it looks very cool.

Your point was clear, I guess I should have said it differently. In order for one side to move farther, it would have to twist the rockers and bend the guides, less likely w/strong parts and springs that barely move, but definitely still possible.

Latest posts

Back