Video of Hardtail Party group ride klunkers on JEM trail

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm holding out for Habit Burger ;). Usually stay in Leeds up the road at a friend's place so normally ride closer to Virgin/Hurricane area. Was out there in July it was so stinking hot we drove up to Navajo Lake above Cedar City , over 9000ft, 70 degrees way better than 105 but barely escaped a monsoon storm. Nice 10 mile loop that can be expanded if desired.

Sounds like the Navajo Lake Loop to me, with the possibility of adding VRRT and others in the mix. I've ridden all over in the Dixie NF and love how few people are on way-out trails up there. There is a ton of high country riding in Southern UT that nobody rides because it's not marquee and all of the bucket lists that are filled with places to be seen instead of just riding. I love those folks for leaving the back country goods to Riders.

All of this burger talk is making me thirsty
pulp_fiction_brett_kavanaugh.jpeg

Sounds like the Navajo Lake Loop to me, with the possibility of adding VRRT and others in the mix. I've ridden all over in the Dixie NF and love how few people are on way-out trails up there. There is a ton of high country riding in Southern UT that nobody rides because it's not marquee and all of the bucket lists that are filled with places to be seen instead of just riding. I love those folks for leaving the back country goods to Riders.
Yeah, a fav is Thunder Mtn, a bit of a slog on SS all the ups/downs but views are worth it. Even Gooseberry Mesa doesn't get that crowded peak season. We found a piece of trail we ride by Silver Reef with dino tracks in a creek bed pretty much no one goes to there. My pup in the footsteps of giants.
kdino.jpg

I can't remember the name of that trail with the dino tracks, but I have been there. A couple of friends of mine have been involved in getting a lot of those WA County trails on the map the past 25 years.

I have not ridden Thunder Mountain in over 20 years, but have a half-dozen loops completed on it. The views up there are amazing.

Now that I don't have long hair and a beard, I should go back up into those mountains. I was hassled by cops for nothing in Utah a lot when I did a bunch of riding there 1995-2005. Beautiful terrain, but too many xenophobic occupants.

Great vid, KCI! It reminded me of my ride on Mesa Buggie at South Mountain in Phoenix that I recorded for my finished thread in the Off-Road Build Off we did a few years back. Everything said during the video is true. Delayed braking, skidding, pedal pulsing to avoid the rocks.

This is actually V2 of Mesa Buggie. I rode it single speed / coaster the first year, then we had another Anything Goes Build Off the next winter (when this vid was shot) and I put a 5 speed freewheel, and disc brake adapter and used a single rear brake, like I have the Klunker Kat set up now. It gives the bike (and my old legs) more versatility and evens out the trail a bit. That trail in Utah looks perfect for klunking!

Last edited:
Funny thing is I just got done watching that video and the video where dude made his bike wit ha kick shift hub. A pity that the kick shift doesn't seem to work out that great because that is a super clean cockpit (can't get cleaner than no cables no levers right?) Loved the idea of him gunmetal bluing the steel and painting. It turned out super awesome looking. Gives me ideas that are probably way above my ability and definitely way above my wallet's punching weight.

Latest posts

Back